Thread: Can I go any further with the EM3800?

Can I go any further with the EM3800?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have the BCG800 Smart Grinder.
    I have the Krups 2 cup non-pressurised filter
    I use filtered water
    I use fresh beans from a local roaster I trust
    I let the machine, portafilter and cups heat up for a while before use

The main problem I have is that the holes on the Krups basket seem to be so huge they let fines through on even a fairly coarse setting - I definitely cant get it fine enough to choke the machine without it also being awash with fines well before it gets there.

In fact, I dont even seem to be able to choke the machine on the Brevilles finest setting, but the sweet-spot for taste is around 3 notches on the display from the end so Im not sure it matters.

So Im now wondering, what else I can do to get the most out of this machine before I start thinking about upgrades?

As much as Id love a new Sylvia or Lelit, I feel like I need to satisfy myself that Im doing the absolute best I can on this hardware first.

Re: Can I go any further with the EM3800?

The basket for the Krups is relatively large as youve mentioned. See if you can source other single wall filters that will fit the 3800.

Im also assuming that youre using the 2 cup basket for one cup of coffee? If not, you should start doing it. The 2 cup basket is almost the equiv to a 1 cup basket for 58mm machines.

Yep, 2 cup basket. Ill try and find another basket.

Im getting quite a firm puck, even if the shot itself has a few fines in it, but the pour is very very short - less than 10 secs. Nice crema tho.

Anything else anyone can suggest?

Hmm, is your Grinder grinding fine enough for espresso? Might be worth looking at modifying it with a shim kit of sorts if you havent already, if its not choking the EM3800 on its finest setting, something is definitely not right

What sort of tamping do you do? I would heavily advise tossing the useless plastic thing and going for a proper tamper if you havent already

Ive got a similar machine (em3600, exactly the same cept for no shiny stainless) and Ive gone the way of getting a Naked Portafilter set up to learn more about whats going on... Perhaps thats an option? (if youre not worried about destroying a portafilter to remove the spouts and base. Basicly, took a 50mm holesaw, and drilled into it the handle thingy, using the centre hole to, well, Centre the bit, Surprisingly effective too.)

Im waiting on the shim kit, but itll need to be matched with a finer basket I think.

Thevone good thing about the basket is that its inner diameter is a little smaller than the Sunbeams own. It means that while not ideal, it suffices - but your point is well taken and I have got my eyes open for a cheap tamper. Dont want to spend big bucks on what may be a transitional machine.

That portafilter mod sounds great! Need to find a secondhand pf to try it out on!

I reckon if you contact a Sunbeam service centre you may may be able to get a second PF. A 50mm hole saw, geez, cutting into metal, bloody hell, the teeth on the holesaw must be well and truly knackered!

I think the PF for this model is possibly chrome plated alluminium as opposed to brass?* On my old cheapo EM2300, it was certainly a lightweight chrome plated alluminium job (managed to strip the chrome off in the dishwasher...).

I bought the double shot single wall basket from site sponsor Uro Coffee and after working out the grind, I was able to get a 23 to 25 second pour with the EM2300. Maybe the holes on this basket are smaller diameter but it does look like the Krups basket.* This same basket also fits in the new (used) Breville 800ES PF.

http://urocoffee.com.au/Shop.php?view=productPage&product=10&category=10

Thanks MrBill, Ill see what I can do with that.

Has anyone tried both the Krups basket and the one from Uro?

Quote Originally Posted by 2C33342C3E5B0 link=1316418942/5#5 date=1316479536
    A 50mm hole saw, geez, cutting into metal, bloody hell, the teeth on the holesaw must be well and truly knackered!

I think the PF for this model is possibly chrome plated alluminium as opposed to brass?* On my old cheapo EM2300, it was certainly a lightweight chrome plated alluminium job (managed to strip the chrome off in the dishwasher...).
    Yeah, its exactly the same portafilter as the EM2300, (I actually cut into the spare portafilter from my late lamented EM2300 when it died and I got the em3600) Aluminium with a (very thin) chrome plating on it which seems to fall off/wear off within a weeks worth of use.

Truth is, I didnt use the cheapie door handle type saw, it was a proper metal cutting holesaw, But still somewhat overkill for the purpose of cutting into the Portafilter