Thread: Advice on Russell hobbs coffee machine.

Advice on Russell hobbs coffee machine.

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,

I have just been given a new Russell Hobbs coffee machine. It is pictured below. It has been paired with a grinder similar to the Rancillo Rocky.

I was wondering if anyone owns one of them and can tell me some tricks to further improve it? ::)

Also should i remove the plastic spout thing in the filter basket? :-?

I tired to find information on here about this machine but it seems to be quite rare. :o

Some background:

I use to own a em6910 with the same grinder i have for 2 years. Since then i have moved and i couldnt bring the coffee machine with me. :(

i did manage to bring the grinder which is still working perfectly ;)

i would also like to know if someone could recommend a local roaster in my area? :P

photo

photo

Re: Advice on Russell hobbs coffee machine.

Quote Originally Posted by 535C474B53565344320 link=1316618640/0#0 date=1316618640
    Hi guys,

I have just been given a new Russell Hobbs coffee machine. It is pictured below. It has been paired with a grinder similar to the Rancillo Rocky.

I was wondering if anyone owns one of them and can tell me some tricks to further improve it? ::)

Also should i remove the plastic spout thing in the filter basket? :-?

I tired to find information on here about this machine but it seems to be quite rare. :o

Some background:

I use to own a em6910 with the same grinder i have for 2 years. Since then i have moved and i couldnt bring the coffee machine with me. :(

i did manage to bring the grinder which is still working perfectly ;)

i would also like to know if someone could recommend a local roaster in my area? :P

Looking at the picture, it looks to be almost 99% identical to the Sunbeam EM3600/EM3800, which there is a fair number of posts regarding. Common mods seem to be single layer filter baskets (either the Krupps or Breville, or cut the bottom floor off the thing by hand) and removing that silly plastic thing in the portafilter

Ive modded mine a bit further with a home made naked portafilter.

Also, Ditch the plastic thing that come with it thats supposedly a tamper, Theyre near useless, you should be able to get a decent tamper to suit easilly enough. Basket size is 51mm

Cant help you with local roasters though, Never really been to Sth Africa

Id have to agree, looks he same as the EM3600/3800 from Sunbeam, is Russell Hobbs now into badge engineering?

I have removed the black plastic cover on the bottom of the PF on my old EM2300. I cut the thing apart leaving only the very small portion the screw goes into and used that to plus up the hole.* I found that a heap of coffee muck can accumulate under the cover.

Single wall double shot basket is also important, I guess you could buy from Oz and a decent tamper, around 51mm. The 6910 came with a tamper I think.

The 6910 is a lovely machine to use with its 58mm PF, dual thermoblock, this new machine might be a step back...

Thanks guys,

yea it seems to be identical to the sunbeam em3800. i will try to find the proper tamper for it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 233C3B2331540 link=1316618640/3#3 date=1316649109
    I have removed the black plastic cover on the bottom of the PF on my old EM2300. I cut the thing apart leaving only the very small portion the screw goes into and used that to plus up the hole.* I found that a heap of coffee muck can accumulate under the cover.
    i have done the exact thing removed the plastic black thing but just left the middle thing that the screw goes into.

Next i wil try to find some fresh bean maybe i will check out some of the local cafes. :-/