Thread: Almost there, advice needed

Almost there, advice needed

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    After much research Ive come to the conclusion Im more confused than ever!

Im looking at a $500ish machine for home, and this one looks to fulfil my requirements, Merol 707

Now, this machine will need to last me more than a couple of years and what has me tempted is I can get the below for staff discount of $720, plusses here are the workshop if anything goes wrong is right next to my office

Rancilio Silvia V3

So, in a roundabout sort of way, Id like to ask, what would you do?

Re: Almost there, advice needed

I dont have much of an understanding on what the Merol 707 is, but to me it looks like a super automatic.

The Rancilio Silvia on the other hand is a very popular entry level machine amongst csers.

Things to think about.

The super automatic does it all for you and so if you dont have much experience and you dont want to take the time to learn it could be the way to go.

The Rancilio you will have to do more of the work yourself but the potential to make a much better cup of coffee is there.

If you bought the Rancilio you would have to factor in the price of a grinder, which a lot of people on here will tell you, a quality grinder is as important as the machine you pour the shots from.

Are you really interested in coffee and want to learn to make the best coffee you can? Because if you do, my guess would be that the Merol 707 wont satisfy you for 2 years. The Rancilio on the other hand with a good grinder and perhaps a PID upgrade down the track will last you until you want to upgrade to something more substantial.

It really depends what you want out of your coffee experience. But its best that you take the time and research what youre getting into :)

For example I started with my first $200 machine and now my coffee equipment is the most expensive stuff to my name :P

Gary S

it all depends on what you want... do you want hassle free coffee, or do you want hassle free clean up?

You asked what _I_ would do? I would go for the Rancilio, But Im of the opinion that superautos arent all that good at coffee, Especially if you have milk based coffees on a regular basis. The Rancilo has its quirks, but it does have a good strong following, plus theres a lot of documentation around for it. The Merol? weeeell, its an appliance, Made in china by some unknown company that probably slaps a half a dozen different badges on the unit and sells them under different names worldwide, Im unsure of the aftersales support youd have with the Merol.

Downside to the Silvia? youd need to spend another 200-300 on top of what you have already paid just to get a decent grinder to go with it, Sure, its a good machine, but you need to have the coffee grinder to match it, otherwise, Yeah, Youre not gonna have a good coffee, and instantly regret the purchase price. How about Not going for something quite so shiny, and splitting the difference, I believe the Breville BES860 Fresca is around the price you were looking at, it has the aftersales service. and it has the built in grinder (if you havent got one already)

If you have got the grinder to match, Go with the Rancilio, if not...

Not to bag the company, but Ive never really heard of Merol prior to this last two months...

Thanks for the replies, after sales service is a definate concern with the Merol, but Ive come to the conclusion that for a first up foray into making decent coffee, a super auto is the way to go.

any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by 2D2C37303726352A2631223A430 link=1316914300/3#3 date=1317014908
    making decent coffee, a super auto is the way to go
    You wont get many here to stick their neck out on recommendations for these. Most coffeesnobbers will tell you the resultant brew is likely to be disappointing and youd be better off with a stove top.

A superauto does not make decent coffee.
    You will learn nothing (except maybe how painful it is to clean a superauto or how unhygienic it is to not clean).

A silvia or many other similar machines can make amazing coffee leagues ahead of that superauto.
    You will learn the skills and knowledge to make great espresso and take pride in your ability.

My advice is skip the superauto and look at something you can get great espresso and an enjoyable journey from.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D7C67606776657A7661726A130 link=1316914300/3#3 date=1317014908
    Thanks for the replies, after sales service is a definate concern with the Merol, but Ive come to the conclusion that for a first up foray into making decent coffee, a super auto is the way to go.

any recommendations?
    Reccommendations? Save your money, a decent superauto costs more then triple what the Merol RRPs for.

Or you could go out and buy a *shudder* Nespresso kit

Again, if you go for the super, youd probably not learn anything from the process. (pushing a button and recieving coffee is not going to teach you anything. might as well go*and make yourself cups of International Roast if you want a starting point for coffee).

Supers are simple for people to use, yes, but theyre a right bugger to clean, and they have ten-twenty times the cost in maintainence the semi autos do, More likely to break down, More expensive to fix when they do break down.

Granted, ive only used a couple of superautos in the past (a past job was espresso machine cleaner at a large office, it usually took an hour to clean the bloody things every afternoon (Jura X9s, they made a decent coffee, but at 7 grand a pop, theyd want to) and they often broke down due to "blocked pipes" Compare that with my el-cheapo Ristretto from sunbeam, and I think most here would agree that a three year run without any problems whatsoever (a crack in the boiler finished her off, she was a good machine for the price) and almost minuscule maintenance (basic flush, Monthly descale, regular scrub of shower) would be a better option to learn how to make coffee then a superauto that may not last the warranty without breaking down/blocking up/needing major maintenance.