Thread: EM5900 thin espresso

EM5900 thin espresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,
    The espresso I get from my EM5900 is always thin in texture and mouthfeel, and when balanced in flavor its just bland, and more flavor only come through when its quite acidic and bitter. I have produced far better, thicker, bolder, sweeter shots from both a Silvia and a Giotto when having a go with them. Im not expecting a Giotto shot out of my sunbeam, but at least better than Im getting. I thought the 5900 used the same thermoblock and pump etc as the 6910, and people seem far happier with the espresso their 6910s produce.
    I have tried different brew temperatures, grind sizes and doses to achieve different flow rates etc... Is this just the limit of a machine like this and I need to upgrade?

Re: EM5900 thin espresso

JB - i know how you feel mate :(

What beans & grinder are you using?

Were the beans and grinder the same when you got those results (thicker & sweeter shots) on the giotto & silvia?

I noticed a huge change in extraction as soon as I upgraded from a Sunbeam EM0480 to a Mazzer Mini. The shot went from wattery to honey like.

I then had a play with a Mazzer Kony (using same beans - did a side by side using beans from Alchemy), and there was another difference here too. The grind consistency and the espresso pour looked on par with the Mini, but the espresso tasted sweeter and the texture was a lot thicker in the mouth. Its pretty strange (in a good way) and I cant explain it that well.

Does the EM5900 have the same sized portafilter as the EM6910?

This could be another reason. The EM6910 uses a 59mm basket and holds more coffee than the EM5900 (im assuming it has a 52mm basket)

Hey
    I was using a EM0450 and have just upgraded to a Smart Grinder, the pours are a bit better but not that great. Id love to try something like a mazzer and see what happens.
    The 5900 has a 51mm basket, and i have the unpressurized breville double basket in there, but when properly loaded it takes 19/20g of coffee, so its actually about the same.

Forgot to say... The Giotto was using a mazzer mini, so the mazzer obviously made a big difference too. On the Silvia though I was using a EM0480, which grinds exactly the same as the EM0450, so the difference there was definitely the machine!