Thread: Breville Cafe Roma

Breville Cafe Roma

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello to all,

I own a simple Breville Cafe Roma Thermoblock machine that I have had for a little while now and I think, but not sure if it is about to reach the "over used" point.

I only ask because the heated cup tray seems to be getting alot hotter then it used to and gets to the temperature in about half the time. The machine is about 2 years old, and use it on average 2-3 times a day.

Are there any tell tale signs that the machine is on the way out??

And just another question, are any of the newer thermoblock machines worth a look? I only ask because there is not much money in the coffee portfilo this fianacial year... I had a laugh. Im not to worried about the brand of the machine, as long as it is a manual machine that does a good job.

Cheers,

Mr BonKeRS

Re: Breville Cafe Roma

I reckon let it go till she blows!! ;D

Machines like that are designed as a throw away item, and I know how difficult that is to hear...

Do yourself a favour, spend the $150-$200 on a new Sunbeam grinder, and have the best plunger coffee you have ever had.

Save your pennies and buy an espresso machine that will set you on the road. I reckon you cant go past the Gaggia Classis, you can get it for $550 on special, and will last you a long time. You can buy spair parts for it, and it is easy to use, and makes great coffee.

After five years or so, you can decide if you want to step up to a Mazzer Mini or Rocky, and match it with a Silvia or better.

The other option is to buy the GRinder, then spend $200 every couple of years on sunbeam/breville, etc.

Whichever you are happiest doing. Be warned though, onve you start on the road to coffee nirvana, there is no going back!!! :D

Apologies for the typos in the above post.... its been a long day..... :)

Have another question. Rather then spending 450-550 on a good little machine eg Gaggia, would I be better off moving up to the a larger/better machine?? Or is there a period where I should "get some time up" before moving up to a larger machine??

Cheers

Mr BonKeRS

Mr_BonKeRS,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs....

Nope its not necessary to do time on a machine with "training wheels"..... You can start with any machine which you like the look of and your budget can afford. Talk to a site sponsor who can show you the advantages of each type of machine and find something to match what you would like to do - and your budget.

So if you wanted to start with a 3 group commercial that would be fine - but VERY expensive and a total overkill!!! But a prosumer machine for home use would be a fine choice for example.

Good luck with your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_BonKeRS link=1172021292/0#3 date=1172106926
    Have another question. Rather then spending 450-550 on a good little machine eg Gaggia, would I be better off moving up to the a larger/better machine?? Or is there a period where I should "get some time up" before moving up to a larger machine??

Cheers

Mr BonKeRS

I think that the answer lies in two areas:

(a) What sort of person you are, and (b) what sort of budget you have.

If you are the type of person who sticks with things until they are perfected, and have the budget to spend on a prosumer machine, go right ahead.

If you are the type of person that plays with a new toy and then chucks it in the cupboard after a few weeks, then dont bother.

Getting a more expensive machine doesnt make it simple to produce great coffee, you will need to do just as much research, hard work and practice on a $1500 machine, as on a $500 one. And your frustration level will be higher, as the pressure to produce will be greater....

Also, if you are the second type of person, drop me a line when you get tired of the new toy, I will buy it off you at a good price.... ;)

Or consider the machine im selling, worth $700 new and going for half that ;)
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1171364442

Thanks for the information.

Without going into a brand war, there is a coffee machine and grinder that keeps coming up. That is the Silvia and Rocky. It is mentioned that it a pretty neat machine and grinder, but the silvia can be tricky to operate. I like the challenge of something new and one thing that is not going to change is pre and post work coffee...I had a laugh I guess you can say there are three things in life that is guaranteed, Death, Taxes and Coffee.

I would like to know what machines are out there, that are worth a look at. Not sure if Im ready for prosumer machine, but would certainly enjoy perfecting on a machine that is not a breville or a brand name that you would find in BIG W. The silvia is the only machine that is sticking in the mind at the moment and I have nothing that I know of to compare it to. Anyone that is biased to the brand, will of coarse tell me that it is the bees knees. I would like to hear (read) a little of your experiances with machines with one that work well and ones that dont. As far as a budget goes I dont want to spend more the $800-$1000. I dont have that now, but by the time I have done reseach on my part that should be the ball park figure. This is not something I wish to rush into, only for the fact that most of the machines that are worth getting into, there are not that many on display to have a play with. It is very hard for me to buy an item with out seeing it in action, or have the knowledge that it is a confidnet buy.

Cheers and thanks for the help so far.

Mr BonKeRS

Mr BonKeRS, given your budget and other stipulations, the Sivia/Rocky combo would probably be the go. With the possibility of the Iberital Challenge grinder instead.

My research originally was leading me to the Silvia/Rocky but in the end I had enough budget to spend a little more.
    Needless to say then that their reputation does preceed them.

Have a look at this thread for a few pros and cons of various machines (not exhaustive):
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163234999

And this one for grinders:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163235531

Also - DO talk to the site sponsors; they will do you a great deal and have outstanding reputations for after sales support.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_BonKeRS link=1172021292/0#0 date=1172021292
    Hello to all,

And just another question, are any of the newer thermoblock machines worth a look? I only ask because there is not much money in the coffee portfilo this fianacial year... I had a laugh. Im not to worried about the brand of the machine, as long as it is a manual machine that does a good job.
    My espresso journey started with a $225 Krups Vivo/Espresso Primo [Model no. 887] about 5 years ago. * I am not even quite sure what led me to get this machine. *What I found out later was that at least it had a proper stainless steel boiler and unpressurised portafilter. * *All other Krups products are thermoblocks. Compared to my new Silvia, it now seems like a toy.

But with a unpressurised PF you can at least analyse your technique and skills. *I learnt to temp surf the Krups, tamp properly and examine the pattern of the pour and the final crema. * I used the Weiss distribution technique and replaced the plastic tamper with a metal one. * *Removing the steam wand gadget also taught me to microfoam with correct technique and not create sea foam. *

I have played with Mums Breville Roma and although it looks like a fairly robust machine, the pressurised PF removes adequate control over the extraction and severely limits your technique and observational skills. *I believe that having the Krups at least enabled me to graduate to the Silvia more quickly than the typical Krups/Saeco/Sunbeam/Breville domestic machine.

I would steer clear of anything with a pressurised PF or a permanent steam gadget. Furthermore, I know of no prosumer or commercial machine that utilise thermoblocs - presumably due to uneven temp control. *

Well here is my first post.
    I had a Breville Cafe Roma ages ago until I stepped up to a Sunbeam 6900 which did a fantastic job for about 5 years plus. Recently it died and the $450 bill to repair it looked a little steep so I have held off. I have dusted of the Breville and fired it up but with its double wall portafilla the coffee is a little naff compared to the Sunbeam. After reading a few mods on this machine I went out and bought a single wall 2 cup portafilla and looked forward to installing this into my existing handle. Well it didnt work or fit that well as I have the old Breville and this thing was way too tight. After hammering the hell out of the thing I got it to fit though since I was hacking away, I cut the bottom off and had to hammer the top flush so it would connect to the group head. With my Sunbeam grinder on espresso fine, the pour was very nice, way better than the double wall pressure portafilla that came with the machine. The coffee cake now falls out correctly like the 6900 where as before I had to spoon it out.

Why all this effort? Who knows, I guess I had some time on my hand and the next machine I want hasnt come out yet (Breville BES 900) so it was either this or stove top. Anyhow, it is working fine, though you have to make sure the group head and handle is tight or it will leak. Will post a pic of a pour one I work out how to focus my camera. ;)