Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunbeam Latte: Espresso Machine

Sunbeam Latte: Espresso Machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

Im a newbie to the snob world. Brand spankin new in fact. I bought my first espresso machine today!! I bought a "Sunbeam Cafe Latte" machine. I wasnt sure what my budget was, however heard from my sister that this machine won the Choice award for best machine under $500 and then was offered a deal I could not pass up ($90 for floor stock machine, milk jug, steel tamper, and 250g ground Illy coffee) Plus the machine has all the features Im after!

I have a fair bit of experience in making coffees (commercially), so I have no troubles in making coffees or stretching milk. However I do have a few questions:

1. As it was floor stock, turns out that the only group filter I have is a double shot. It appears to be a 51mm group. Does anyone know if theres a store in Sydney where I can buy a single shot filter from (Illy is too good to waste after all)?

2. Turns out the tamper that was thrown in (Branded Sunbeam) is too big (58mm). Again, does anyone know of a store where I can buy a 51mm one? (By the way, does a 51mm vs. 52mm tamper make much of a difference? If so, what?).

3. Im used to the coffee grinder at work extracting the correct amount of ground coffee (one flick for a single shot, two flicks for a double). So, Im not sure how much coffee I should be putting into my group. I have the scoop that came with the machine, do I use this as a guide (e.g. one heaped/flat scoop)? Ive heard that if you run your finger over the top of the group (so that its not a heap) produces the correct amount of coffee. Is this so?

4. This relates to the previous question as well as tamping pressure. How much space should there be from the top of the group filter to the top of the coffee cake (e.g. 5mm)?

5. Where can i buy a cool knock box from? I realise that Ill be able to find most of these things at the same shop.

I think thats all my questions for now! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also anyones opinions of the "Cafe Latte" are welcome too!

So far Ive found usability, coffee shots, steam and hot water function to be exceptional! Although, its a bit of a pain how you have to wait for the temperature to regulate every time you switch from espresso/hot water setting to the steamer setting (that said, its only about a minute, if that) and that the espresso function is manual (i.e. you have to stop it yourself) which can be tricky especially with a mug where its hard to see how much coffee is in there (great that a mug fits under the group head though!). Im surprised at how fast the machine warms up from having no power (a minute tops!).

Re: Sunbeam Latte: Espresso Machine

I cant answer all your questions, so Ill start with welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Re tamper size - GO to the Pullman Tampers website (link on the left) and there youll find info on the difference a good fitting tamper can make.

Start with a level basket full of coffee and see what you think. It really is about finding the right grind size, amount of coffee and possibly other variables, that work for your particular machine.

Try Coffee Parts or DiBartoli for the knock box - see the links on the side.

Now some qustions from me.

Have you got a good grinder yet?
    Im going to assume no because you want to use the pre-ground Illy rather than freshly roasted beans.

Do you realise pre-ground coffee is stale?
    Have you tasted freshly ground freshly roasted coffee?

What coffee were you using commercially?

What makes you think the machine is warm in under 60 seconds?

This is the start of a loooong journey. Have fun.

looks from the web site like a dual walled basket...if I am right I would see if you can get normal single walled baskets for the PF handle otherwise you will never achive the goal of great espresso...I had the same problem with my Sunbeam Ristretto. You can then get a tamper made by Greg Pullman - see the sponsers to the right - to fit your baskets perfectly.
    Cheers

your hot of the press tonight Thundergod!

One of the best and most inexpensive knock boxes is the Sunbeam Bang Bang - go check it out.

Thanks for your quick responses!

No, I dont have a grinder, although I have regular (tri-weekly) access to the grinder at work which I can use at will. I will grinding beans there regularly. I am using pre-ground Illy as it came with the machine and also I wanted to try my machine out asap and could not access the grinder so soon.

At my work we use Vittoria coffee, not a favourite of mine, I find it can be quite bitter.
    I have never tried freshly roasted coffee before. That said, I dont think my palate is delicate enough (at this stage) to taste the difference. Although, I could be completely wrong!

The machine has an LED screen which shows a thermometer and says "ready" when the machine is warmed up. Thats how I know its ready :)

Yes it is a dual walled basket. Im not sure where Id go about getting a single walled basket.

I will check out the links, thanks for your help!

Youll need the single walled baskets before you use the fresh coffee.
    The dual walled ones are made for less than fresh coffee.

I too find the Vittoria a little too bitter.

Your palate will notice the difference immediately and then slowly become more refined over time.

Welcome to CS mandarounious,

After looking at the instruction manual for the sunbeam it shows the same filter baskets that come with the breville (dual wall). These are no good. I have been on the hunt for a standard filter basket (non pressurised) and have so far only came up with one place. The filter baskets are approx 52mm internally. I have a S/S tamper of 51mm and this does not fit perfectly leaving a small gap around the edge.

Tampers should fit snug and as soon as I get the standard filter I too will invest in a Pullman which will fit exactly. You might want to shop around for a standard filter that fits, which Sunbeam and Breville are generally the same size of 53mm.

I can vouch for the Sunbeam Bang Bang as I have one. These are cheap approx $30 attractive and relatively easy to keep clean. Will also match well with your coffee machine.

As for heating up quickly, this is the same for the Breville 800ES which I have, Thermoblock heats up quick but the rest of the machine isnt preheated. The PF, cup heater and cups and other elements the the machine is not preheated. It is recommended to turn the machine of for 20min - 30min before pulling the first shot, this will allow all equipment of the machine to preheat and thus prevent cooling of the espresso during the shot and getting the right temp throughout the event of pulling the shot.

There is no use of getting the liquid hot through the thermoblock then is cools down immediately leaving the thermoblock going through a cool PF and entering into a cool cup.

Good luck with all
    The Goodies

its worth letting your machine heat up for at least 20 min to reach thermal stability also getting a good grinder is a must as your beans should be ground just before use and last but not least i second the pullman tamper a must for any Coffeesnob.

Well, Ill start off by saying welcome, and tempering that with "Youre Screwed!" - now that the bugs bit you, youll never be the same again....

Ive got a similar machine, and Ill echo what ozscott & tg said about the baskets - have a look at this thread (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1128380756) for more info on replacing the pressurised ones with the non-pressurised kind (which will give you much nicer extractions, assuming you use fresh, non-preground coffee. any of the sunbeam/krups service centres will have them, and the part numbers (and probably some phone numbers) are in that link.

and on the fresh coffee: Yep, it really does make a huge difference, whether you think youve got the refined palate or not. I definitely dont have a refined enough palate for all the little subtle nuances that people talk about in their individual roasts, but trust me (and everyone else that mentions it) - you will notice the difference between something fresh, and something thats been sitting in a can on a shelf for who knows how long (whether its Illy, Vittoria, or whatever) - so, the most common piece of advice youll hear is "get yourself a good grinder". (edit: I forgot to add - I do have to grind in the morning for the plunger at work, so it isnt exactly ideal - maybe 4 or 5 hours old by the time I drink it. But someone gave me some pre-packed, pre-ground coffee at work the other day, from a well-known roaster. While this was a kind gesture, it was definitely older than that. maybe 4 or 5 months. my crappy palate is definitely sensitive enough to not want to do that again....)

As for the warmup, even if it says its warm, it aint necessarily warm enough - theres a few people whove used these machines that are advocates of the "run steam for thirty seconds, then flush the group before you pull a shot" method, which helps a bit with temperature.

You can get very decent results out of the machine you have - it just takes a little tweaking, and a bit of perseverance, and theres enough people on here that have used this or a similar machine to help you out if you strike any problems....

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by The Goodies link=1174477597/0#7 date=1174480828
    Welcome to CS mandarounious,

After looking at the instruction manual for the sunbeam it shows the same filter baskets that come with the breville (dual wall). These are no good. I have been on the hunt for a standard filter basket (non pressurised) and have so far only came up with one place. The filter baskets are approx 52mm internally. I have a S/S tamper of 51mm and this does not fit perfectly leaving a small gap around the edge.

The Goodies,
    you beat me to the punch there - what state are you in? have a look at the thread I linked as it has the part numbers for the Krups baskets. These are 52mm - so they fit beautifully into the sunbeam/brevilles BUT theyre missing the little lip around the rim - which Ive found can result in a little leakage, but Ive got a very loose pf handle. Not sure which state youre in, but the Krups ones are easy to pick up down in Melbourne - that thread should have the answers.

After reading some other posts a few weeks back (maybe from Mal?) I decided to try out the Saeco equivalents. These do have the lip around the rim, but the only ones I could get were 51mm. Two upsides there: they dont cause so much of a leakage issue (again, maybe its just my machine), and they fit the crappy sunbeam tamper quite well, as long as theyre really packed with coffee (otherwise, because they taper, even the little 51mm tamper wont squeeze into them). One slight(!) downside is that they dont fit snugly into the pf handle, so when you dump the puck, the whole basket just plops out.....
    Again, very easy to get - I just rocked up at a Saeco service centre in Caulfield with my pf, and the bloke pulled out a double basket ($7).

I think that the best bet is to just bite the bullet and get a decent tamper - thatll be my next investment. Well, apart from more beans of course.....

Hi Varanid99,

I live in Perth and wnt into the Saeco service agent here and tested their PF Baskets. It was 1mm too big. They measured my basket at 52.3mm and their basket at 53.4mm. so close yet so far.
    I will probably have to order the Krups baskets which the only one so far I can find is in Adelaide I have received a quote for both single and double baskets and will take a couple of week to get here.

Still a bit wary of doing this just in case it doesnt fit and I have wasted a few dollars. Would ideally like to take my PF in to see if fit in person.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goodies link=1174477597/0#11 date=1174521253
    Hi Varanid99,

I live in Perth and wnt into the Saeco service agent here and tested their PF Baskets.
    maybe a silly question, but have you tried out the non-Saeco service centres? Breville, Krups, Sunbeam et al all seem to have pretty interchangeable parts, so if youre after a Krups basket (#0907163 for the double), maybe have a look at the list of Perth service centres on the Sunbeam website - that was how I tracked my bits down in Melbourne.

The Sunbeam "Bang Bang" knock box is nice...around $30 or like $50 for the brushed steel "cafe series" one. I have the cafe series knock box and it is very nice and solid. Does a better job than many knock boxes out there.

As you can see in the photo, I have put a plastic bag in mine so its easy to change over and not have to worry about cleaning it other than wiping the rubber bar and any coffee off the sides.

Quote Originally Posted by mandarounious link=1174477597/0#5 date=1174479842
    Thanks for your quick responses!

I have never tried freshly roasted coffee before. That said, I dont think my palate is delicate enough (at this stage) to taste the difference. Although, I could be completely wrong!
    Mandarounious, I too will start with welcomeing you to an awesome sight to help you through your journey to coffee nirvana. [smiley=beer.gif]

You mentioned you didnt think your palate was delicate enough. I am a smoker so mine is definitely not sensitive. I have been roasting my own now for a few months. The other day I ran out of roasted coffee (due to my time being needed elsewhere, I didnt get a chance to roast), I poped into a shop and bought a some coffee beans from a local roaster that are supposed to be fresh. I was amazed that as soon as I took my first mouthful I could tell the coffee was stale.

Never underestimate the taste of that freshly roasted coffee, and for very little outlay you can roast your own easily. I was scared of stuffing things up but so far have only had one bad roast and from other threads, it looks like it was the beans rather than the roast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wushoes link=1174477597/0#13 date=1174543012
    I have put a plastic bag in mine so its easy to change over and not have to worry about cleaning it other than wiping the rubber bar and any coffee off the sides.
    What a brilliant idea. Im going to steal it but wont take credit ;D

I have the Coffee Parts one.

Small footprint and holds a lot of pucks.
    Easy to rinse clean.
    Ive had no need to run it through the dishwasher like it says I can.

I got a full sized knocker tube on council cleanup day. I dont think it will fit into the dishwasher.

Another option (if you have a little diy bug in you) is to make yourself one. Here are some examples:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1173052697

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1162705311

As far as knockboxes go Id highly recommend a Grindenstein. Theyre designed by an Australian company (Dream farm) and do the job as efficiently as any other knock box on the market. What I like about mine is the fact that its unobtrusive and looks great. Ive seen some other knockboxes on the market (i.e the Sunbeam Bang Bang which I thinks looks very average in comparison). They come in about 5 different colours too. Theyre not designed for commercial quantities of coffee pucks (i.e theyre quite small and require frequent emptying depending on how much coffee you drink) but they serve the purpose for home very well. Theyre reasonably priced too; I paid about $27-$28 delivered from ebay.

Look here for some good pics and further info. https://secure.grindenstein.com/

:)

I have the mega knock box...

Cant understand why Sue complains about it being in the kitchen....

Quote Originally Posted by Saambo link=1174477597/15#17 date=1174636385
    As far as knockboxes go Id highly recommend a Grindenstein. Theyre designed by an Australian company (Dream farm) and do the job as efficiently as any other knock box on the market. What I like about mine is the fact that its unobtrusive and looks great. Ive seen some other knockboxes on the market (i.e the Sunbeam Bang Bang which I thinks looks very average in comparison). They come in about 5 different colours too. Theyre not designed for commercial quantities of coffee pucks (i.e theyre quite small and require frequent emptying depending on how much coffee you drink) but they serve the purpose for home very well. Theyre reasonably priced too; I paid about $27-$28 delivered from ebay.

They do look pretty but a bit small.
    Still, they look like they could just about hold, say, 5 or 6 pucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1174477597/15#19 date=1174640764
    Quote Originally Posted by Saambo link=1174477597/15#17 date=1174636385

They do look pretty but a bit small.
    Still, they look like they could just about hold, say, 5 or 6 pucks.
    If I pivot on the right spot I can turn the grindenstein upside down into the food scraps bin for compost....Emptying the thing is not that big a problem in my life at this stage. Maybe when Im 90 itll be more of an issue :)

I also love my Grindenstein they are big enough for any amount of coffee that I would drink in a session. its small enough to fit on the drip tray of my silvia next to the milk jug so it doesnt take up any space when not in use. For what is essentially a bin I didnt want it to be a feature of the kitchen so the fact they come in plain black is also a bonus.

Mine is black.

I too have one of the KBs from CoffeeParts.... a yellow one. Looks really nice sitting on the bench, really easy to empty and clean and of course holds quite a few pucks before it needs to be emptied. Such a simple device but is well made and functional :)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1174477597/15#15 date=1174611544
    I have the Coffee Parts one.

Small footprint and holds a lot of pucks.
    Easy to rinse clean.
    Ive had no need to run it through the dishwasher like it says I can.
    Thats actually the Coffees Been brand knockbox....Tassie company

Well to further complicate things, mine came via 2mcm with my Expobar.
    It had a lovely trip from Tassie to Sydney then down to Melbourne before landing on my doorstep.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1174477597/15#25 date=1174692606
    Well to further complicate things, mine came via 2mcm with my Expobar.
    It had a lovely trip from Tassie to Sydney then down to Melbourne before landing on my doorstep.
    I had a laugh TG...it has the passport stamps and frequent flyer points to prove it....check the base ;) ;D...

These days they come direct from Tassie to me 8-)

dsc

Ola everyone,

in my opinion the Grindstein looks pretty cool but is definitely too small. It holds around 5-6 coffee pucks, so if you drink even a medium ammount of coffee each day you will have to empty it everyday. The Bumper knockbox looks as nice or even nicer than the GS and is a loooot bigger. I even based my DIY kockobox on the Bumper look;) but added the removable bottom for easier cleaning.

Oh and the Sunbeam Bang Bang also looks cool and is rather big.

If you like DIY try it, its a lot of fun and its cheap as dirt:)

Cheers,
    dsc.

Chris I had already checked the base upon arrival.

dsc I was only joking when I suggested the Grindstein only held 5 or 6 pucks. ;D ::)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1174477597/15#28 date=1174721154
    Chris I had already checked the base upon arrival.

dsc I was only joking when I suggested the Grindstein only held 5 or 6 pucks. ;D ::)
    joking or not you were right. ;)

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice so far. I bought a Grindenstein today, I love it!

I dont know if any of you have/have had/have used the Sunbeam Cafe Latte machine before, but for some odd reason, about an hour after i push the power button to switch the machine off, it automatically turns to standby mode. This means the machine is constantly warm. This is good coffee prep wise, however not so good since its an unnecessary consumption of energy. Is this normal, or could i perhaps be a defect in my machine?

As far as tampers go, i took my group handle into a coffee supplier shop today, a 52mm was too big. However the lady said the only 51mm tamper available is one with a concave base. I was looking for a flat based tamper, and I dont want to have to spend more than $40 for a custom-made one. Is she right, is there only one 51mm ready made tamper available?

Mandarounious,

A belated CS welcome!

I know there are generic 51mm tampers on the market, generally solid stainless steel things, but I dont know about the base profiles. If youre not in 58mm your choices are severely limited unless you get one made up to suit. Shop around and see what you can find, check coffeeparts in case they have something in that size, otherwise Id be happy to help out as soon as I get my workshop set up. Ive made several tampers for the 5800 in the past and others that share the same basket. In that size I only produce flat base units.

Greg

mandarounious, the Sunbeam EM6900 and EM6910 also go in to standby mode after 1 hour of non use. Press any button to bring it back to life.

He said it goes into standby after switching it off.
    Typo or bug?

dsc

Hi,

mandarounious: so how big is the Grindenstein? Ive seen a bunch of photos and it really looks small, 5-6 pucks max in my opinion. Im using a DIY knockbox and I thought it was big. It holds around 15 pucks or so but I still have to empty it quite often, more often than I would like:)

Thundergod: I think you were right with that joke:)

Cheers,
    dsc.

I found the grindenstein, while cute as a button, only held a buttons worth of pucks. I have just kept going bigger too - less emptying, more roasting, brewing and drinking time!

Quote Originally Posted by Baristacrat link=1174477597/30#35 date=1175722017
    I found the grindenstein, while cute as a button, only held a buttons worth of pucks. I have just kept going bigger too - less emptying, more roasting, brewing and drinking time!
    The Grindenstein holds about 6-7 double pucks...I like it because it is so small and therefore unobtrusive. The emptying component is not a hassle for me as its a matter of picking it up and turning it upside down within a distance of about 1m from where it sits on the bench. I dont even raise a sweat or get short of breath doing it.

If time management is an issue and emptying a knock box interferes with other tasks then Id bring the wheelie bin inside and leave that next to the espresso machine...should get about 1000 - 2000 pucks in one of those :P

The afore-mentioned CoffeeParts "Knock-Tubes" are deceptively roomy little blighters.... Mine will comfortably hold 18-20 Double pucks before it needs emptying and cleaning, and cleaning is a snap by the way 8-),

Mal.

dsc

Ola,

Saambo: 6-7 pucks fill the entire thing, like it all sticks out, or is there still some room left? The Grindenstein is cool looking though, my DIYed box looks like crap:)

Cheers,
    dsc.

just bought a Cafe Latte silly me :(supposed to make coffee, looks and tastes like lightly beige mud. Any help welcome.
    Attempted several grinds. Had to return first machine as it produced even worse coffee and cold at that. New machine is at least producing hot but not yet coffee to drink

Quote Originally Posted by pete link=1174477597/30#39 date=1176377001
    just bought a Cafe Latte silly me :(supposed to make coffee, looks and tastes like lightly beige mud. Any help welcome.
    Attempted several grinds. Had to return first machine as it produced even worse coffee and cold at that. New machine is at least producing hot but not yet coffee to drink
    Can we just check the basics first - are you using coffee within its window of freshness ground to demand on a decent quality burr grinder? How long is it taking you to extract your shots and what sort of volume are you getting?

Hang on ... just checked the sunbeam product page and it says that the caffe latte has a "Crema system - Italian designed," which sounds to me like a pressurised basket. This is designed to foam up whatever is forced through it so that it looks like real crema is created, even if the coffee is preground and ancient. Unfortunately, this will make it very difficult, if not impossible, to get a typical espresso shot out of the machine. However, non-pressurised baskets are available ... but Ill leave it to the sunbeam owners to chime in about where to get them from.

Cheers,

Luca

Hi Luca
    Thanks for input.
    The non presurised basket sounds good for as you say the crema isnt real at all. Sunbeam said to use Med grind and I have tried a wide variety of grinds but still the coffee is weak as dishwater.
    I have some old Breville baskets that fit , they may help.
    Im dying for a decent brew.
    This machine is actually producing hotish liquid better than the one I returned which was only just warm as well as weak.

Quote Originally Posted by pete link=1174477597/30#41 date=1176430275
    Hi Luca
    Thanks for input.
    The non presurised basket sounds good for as you say the crema isnt real at all. Sunbeam said to use Med grind and I have tried a wide variety of grinds but still the coffee is weak as dishwater.
    I have some old Breville baskets that fit , they may help.
    Im dying for a decent brew.
    This machine is actually producing hotish liquid better than the one I returned which was only just warm as well as weak.
    Pete,

this thread (http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1128380756/40#40) is probably a good place to start - if you dig around in there, theres stuff on basket changeover, as well as some advice on the general running of these machines (i.e. the stuff that isnt in the manual, so that you can trick the machine into making coffee)

kay

Hello all,

I bought a Sunbeam EM5600 (Latte) last month - after our very very old Krups died! Also got a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder. It was then that I discovered your forum, and I have found it very helpful - have learned a lot. Had no idea about what was involved in the world of coffee before then! I can see a barista course coming up and I suspect that my Latte will soon be replaced!

But in the meanitme - I have managed to get one of the Krups double unpressurised filter baskets, and waiting for the single version on order. Have managed to get quite a reasonable output after girnding the coffee quite fine - about 11 on the Sunbeam grinder. Whether it sputters is variable - some pours are fine, others leak and drip. But no major disasters so far.

But my quesiton is about the puck. I read that pucks are supposed to be dry - the pucks on the Latte, no matter which filter basket is used, are wet and sloppy. What does this mean, is it a problem, and does it affect the coffee?

Thank you for your forum. It is fantastic for those of us who want a decent coffee at home.

kay

Welcome to Coffee Snobs kay.

Im guessing that your EM5600 may not have a 3 way valve to release pressure after the shot is finished. In which case I dont think theres anything you can do but get used to it and learn not to try pull the handle out too soon.

Someone with more knowledge than I should be along soon to confirm.

kay

Thank you Thundergod. No I dont think this model runs to a 3 way valve buyt will go and check.
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1174477597/30#44 date=1176685791
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs kay.

Im guessing that your EM5600 may not have a 3 way valve to release pressure after the shot is finished. In which case I dont think theres anything you can do but get used to it and learn not to try pull the handle out too soon.

Someone with more knowledge than I should be along soon to confirm.
    Kay,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs....

Not really more knowledgeable ::) ::).... but as Thundergod suggested - no 3 way valve!

You will always have somewhat soggy pucks (less with the unpressurised baskets). If you leave the puck in the PF whilst steaming the milk you will find it will dry out somewhat.

Giving up on a bad Sunbeam buy. Sell or etc,
    Am looking at a Breville 800 had a very good offer $225 or a Gaggia Classic $ 400 Any ideas guys. Im not yet financial ly into the pricier machines.

So did anyone find out where to get a non pressurised basket for these sunbeam things, if so please pm me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C link=1174477597/45#48 date=1176986939
    So did anyone find out where to get a non pressurised basket for these sunbeam things, if so please pm me...
    Ray,

I linked another thread about 10 posts back - all the info will be in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast