Thread: Gaggia Baby Digital Beginner

Gaggia Baby Digital Beginner

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey, just after some recommendations about some beginner espresso machines.

Ive been making coffee in restaurants for a few years now and figure that its time that i got a little machine for my humble abode.

A friend has a sunbeam cafe latte and, as any good friend, im looking for an espresso machine that will blow his toy out of the water. At the moment im looking at a Gaggia Baby D Digital, just wondering if anyone knew if this is a wise investment or if there are any better machines on the market?

Ive heard that Gaggia is a good brand, would it fair better than a sunbeam or delonghi?

Thanks fellow coffee people

Re: Gaggia Baby Digital Beginner

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Benji.

You do know a good grinder is more important first dont you?

Im all for blowing his toy out of the water, after all I went straight to an Expobar Leva, but a lot depends on your budget.

If you havent allowed for a grinder, your choice of machine may not be able to work to its potential.

Benji

get a good grinder, preferably "conical burr grinder" I think is the term, someone pls correct me if I am incorrect. I followed advice from here (thanks Mal/Wing) and made a world of difference to my saturday night special sunbeam. But Im stil upgrading the machine :)

Welcome

Steve

The gaggia baby has a few interesting things going for it. First up, it has a commercial 58mm portafilter, which means that the filter basket will be relatively large compared with other machines in its class. Im not 100% sure if all commercial filter baskets can be slotted into the portafilter, though. However, if you buy a tamper that fits it you will also be able to use it on any machine with a 58mm pf that you might upgrade to in future. The next interesting feature is the "volumetric" control, which measures the shot volume for you. This is quite a rare feature on a sub $2000 machine, but really isnt all that useful.

Unfortunately, if youre expecting the machine to go toe to toe with commercial machines that you might have used, youre probably going to be disappointed. Steaming is an obvious point of differentiation, as those plastic frothing sleeves and the necessity to heat up the boiler to generate steam are significant hinderances.

As the others have mentioned, the grinder is the important thing. Youre probably aware of that, having made coffee professionally, but its still worth mentioning. I agree with sullo on the conicals being great value for money. You wont get better until youre up in mazzer mini territory. Personally, I think that "stepless" grind adjustment is an absolute necessity, so the cheapest grinder that Id recommend for espresso is the iberital challenge.

Cheers,

Luca