Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: What to buy - your opinion please!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    What to buy - your opinion please!

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi, *am a total novice at coffee machines and we are about to embark on our first. *Have looked at the following and would like your opinion as to which you would recommend (or stay clear of):
    Breville Cafe Roma ESP8C
    Sunbeam Cafe Latte EM5600
    Breville Ikon *BES400
    Breville Pro 800ES
    I suppose priorities (besides the actual coffee) would be ease of operation, reliability, and good milk frothing (babycino/fluffies for the kids :) ). *

    Advice?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hi there,

    Out of all of those, the Breville Ikon with its 200mil Stainless Steel Boiler and Electronic Temp Control..

    Please dont forget about a grinder... which the minimum would be the Sunbeam EM0450/\/EM0480...

    And I would get some Krups "real" coffee baskets...

    Cheers,
    Marc

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    jimjam,

    Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs...

    Yep, Id second everything Marc said above....

    Ikon with normal baskets is the best of that group.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hi I have just purchased the Breville bes400. good price atm ($299).
    Was just wondering if anyone could tell me which krups non-pressurized baskets Id need.
    I found some part numbers from a thread about the sunbeam em5800.

    Part number for the Krups non-pressurised double basket is MS0907163, $11.12+GST.
    Number for the non-pressurised single basket is MS0925592, $13.84+GST


    Does anyone know if these are the correct baskets to use for the breville?

    thanks in advance!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    16

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hi,

    My Mum just bought a EM6910 newin the box with full warranty from the Sunbeam clearance shop, she paid $425. I think normal retail is about $699 for this model, have not had a chance to have a good play with it yet but according to you guys its a great machine.

    The machine was in new condition, only the box had been damaged.

    Enjoy

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by ktime link=1180165483/0#3 date=1180187528
    Hi I have just purchased the Breville bes400. good price atm ($299).
    Was just wondering if anyone could tell me which krups non-pressurized baskets Id need.
    I found some part numbers from a thread about the sunbeam em5800.

    Part number for the Krups non-pressurised double basket is MS0907163, $11.12+GST.
    Number for the non-pressurised single basket is MS0925592, $13.84+GST


    Does anyone know if these are the correct baskets to use for the breville?

    thanks in advance!
    Hi ktime

    How long ago did you buy this Breville Ikon coffee machine?

    There was an offer on this machine with a free Breville grinder a few weeks ago just before mothers day. I am Just wondering if this offer is still on as I am considering either this machine or the Sunbeam 5600 for my wife birthday coming up in a couple of weeks time.

    Thanks
    Stephen

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hi sschen,

    I bought it about 3 weeks ago in Melbourne. I did get the bonus grinder. It was advertised here in all the major catelouges (harvey norman, myer, good guys, retravision). As far as I know the myer and good guys catalouges have expired but the retravision offer stands until the end of May. So retravision would probably be your best bet. If you dont have the paper catelouge its also on their website www.retravision.com.au

    Regards,

    K

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by ktime link=1180165483/0#6 date=1180326496
    Hi sschen,

    *I bought it about 3 weeks ago in Melbourne. I did get the bonus grinder. It was advertised here in all the major catelouges (harvey norman, myer, good guys, retravision). As far as I know the myer and good guys catalouges have expired but the retravision offer stands until the end of May. So retravision would probably be your best bet. If you dont have the paper catelouge its also on their website www.retravision.com.au

    Regards,

    K
    ktime

    Thanks for this. *I cant find any retravision paper catalogue at home but I checked the retravision website and sure enough their WA catalogue shows the machine and grinder @$299. *This is the same price that I saw at Myer a couple of weeks ago during Mothers day.

    With the free grinder, is it via redemption or do they give you the grinder on the spot. *Did you pay $299 or is there still room to haggle?

    I know a lot of members have high praise for the Sunbeam EM0480 for its value for money. *Is there any point buying the Sunbeam grinder since the Breville grinder is bundled with the Breville Expresso machine?

    Thanks again
    Stephen

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Stephen,

    Are you planning to use the pressurised baskets on the Ikon, if so the packaged grinder would be just adequate.... but you would have real trouble grinding for normal baskets (the ones you need for good coffee).... There is a reason why it is free - and, as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for!!!"

    The EM0480 is much better.... but most here would say it also is just adequate for normal baskets.

    One thing which you will rapidly discover.... A good grinder is FAR more important than the machine itself..... to make great coffee.... listed in order

    1. Barista skills (which can be learnt)
    2. Freshly roasted quality beans
    3. Quality grinder
    4. Machine

    And yep, the machine is the lowest on the list. Dont settle for a free grinder because you can - not unless you need another door stop!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1180165483/0#8 date=1180360276
    Stephen,

    Are you planning to use the pressurised baskets on the Ikon, if so the packaged grinder would be just adequate.... but you would have real trouble grinding for normal baskets (the ones you need for good coffee).... There is a reason why it is free - and, as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for!!!"

    The EM0480 is much better.... but most here would say it also is just adequate for normal baskets.

    One thing which you will rapidly discover.... A good grinder is FAR more important than the machine itself..... to make great coffee.... listed in order

    1. Barista skills (which can be learnt)
    2. Freshly roasted quality beans
    3. Quality grinder
    4. Machine

    And yep, the machine is the lowest on the list. Dont settle for a free grinder because you can - not unless you need another door stop!
    JavaB

    I hear what you are saying. *We are complete newbies at making coffee. *Put it this way, I dont even know what you meant when you said "pressurised" baskets and normal (un-pressurised?) baskets. *So Barista skills is practically nil at the moment. *I will have to start somewhere and learn I guess.

    This Breville IKON retails for around the same price as the Sunbeam EM5600 and it seems you guys think this Breville machine is better. *I guess the free grinder is better than no grinder? *If I was to buy the Sunbeam EM5600, I wont be able to afford a grinder for a good couple of months. *This means I will be buying pre-ground coffee. *Would you say I am better off trying to ground my own coffee beans with this Breville coffee grinder even though it is a free/cheap grinder. *Mind you, this grinder retails for about the same price as the Sunbeam EM0450 so it cant be all that nasty?

    I also noticed people suggesting that because this grinder is labelled as a general purpose grinder, people "automatically" assumes it is crap. *Surely just because the manufacturer labels the grinder as general purpose to appeal to a greater audience, it is no reason to suggest its capability is less than adequate? *You get what I mean? *Just a feeling I got, no offense intended.

    Funny you mention door stop, I am using the kids shoes as my kitchen door stop. *This grinder might be a better alternative albeit an expensive one if it is not up to the task of grinding coffee beans. *:)

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Stephen,

    Some explanations are required.

    OK pressurised (crema enhancing) baskets Vs normal...

    To extract the oils from the grinds they need to be placed under pressure (of about 9 Bars).... there are 2 ways of doing this:

    Normal.... you fill the basket with coffee grinds of the correct size and you tamp down with about 15Kg pressure to compact them into a solid mass. The basket has lots of small holes in the bottom so the coffee would rapidly flow out.... but because the puck is so solid.... it holds the pressure and the coffee flows out slowly.... and the 9 Bar of pressure is held in the basket (by the coffee). The coffee comes out at a rate of 30 ml (60 ml from a double basket) in 30 seconds.... and has a nice tasting natural crema as the oils and carbon dioxide in the grinds are extracted.

    Pressurised..... you fill the basket with any old coffee (including supermarket stale coffee).... and the grind size doesnt matter much- neither does how hard you tamp ( normally just a light tamp would do)..... so you would expect the coffee to pour through very fast.... but it cant as instead of the lots of small holes it has one tiny pin hole in the base..... and the coffee must pass through that.... and that produces the 9 bar pressure. The contents of the basket stew rather than get extracted.... and as the resultant liquid is squeezed through the pinhole it froths up and produces false crema... even from stale coffee which would normally produce none. As a result the taste suffers badly... and even fresh beans which are ground just before brewing dont produce great coffee.

    So why pressurised baskets.... and they are on just about all machines at the lower price points. Well bean freshness doesnt matter (supermarket preground works OK) grind size doesnt matter much (one size fits all) and tamp force doesnt matter much... and you get a liquid out which has lots of "crema"... looks and even tastes a bit like coffee.... and you can impress friends who dont understand what is happening and how good the coffee could be.

    The Ikon is potentially a great machine- but is handicapped by the pressurised baskets. However you can buy normal baskets (Krups make some which fit) and then enjoy great tasting coffee.... but you will need to develop some technique to do it. (not hard to do)

    Grinders come in various quality levels. The cheap ones produce coffee where the grind size varies (bits of different size at the same time).... no problem for a pressurised baskets.... but no good for a normal one. When beans age you need to grind a bit finer each day (to maintain the correct flow). This is a small adjustment... and the cheaper grinders - even the EM0480 - cant be adjusted fine enough. A general purpose grinder (because it is general purpose) will have large steps by definition.... and so wont have adequate adjustment.

    So for an easy start the combo will work... and you will get OK coffee if you use the supplied baskets..... but it will never be really good, certainly not great - but it could be..... and the Ikon is capable of that (with normal baskets and a good grinder).

    Hope that helps a bit. If you have any other queries.... I and the other members here will be happy to help.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1180165483/0#10 date=1180363565
    Stephen,

    Some explanations are required.

    OK pressurised (crema enhancing) baskets Vs normal...

    To extract the oils from the grinds they need to be placed under pressure (of about 9 Bars).... there are 2 ways of doing this:

    Normal.... you fill the basket with coffee grinds of the correct size and you tamp down with about 15Kg pressure to compact them into a solid mass. The basket has lots of small holes in the bottom so the coffee would rapidly flow out.... but because the puck is so solid.... it holds the pressure and the coffee flows out slowly.... and the 9 Bar of pressure is held in the basket (by the coffee). The coffee comes out at a rate of 30 ml (60 ml from a double basket) in 30 seconds.... and has a nice tasting natural crema as the oils and carbon dioxide in the grinds are extracted.

    Pressurised..... you fill the basket with any old coffee (including supermarket stale coffee).... and the grind size doesnt matter much- neither does how hard you tamp ( normally just a light tamp would do)..... so you would expect the coffee to pour through very fast.... but it cant as instead of the lots of small holes it has one tiny pin hole in the base..... and the coffee must pass through that.... and that produces the 9 bar pressure. The contents of the basket stew rather than get extracted.... and as the resultant liquid is squeezed through the pinhole it froths up and produces false crema... even from stale coffee which would normally produce none. As a result the taste suffers badly... and even fresh beans *which are ground just before brewing dont produce great coffee.

    So why pressurised baskets.... and they are on just about all machines at the lower price points. Well bean freshness doesnt matter (supermarket preground works OK) grind size doesnt matter much (one size fits all) and tamp force doesnt matter much... and you get a liquid out which has lots of "crema"... looks and even tastes a bit like coffee.... and you can impress friends who dont understand what is happening and how good the coffee could be.

    The Ikon is potentially a great machine- but is handicapped by the pressurised baskets. However you can buy normal baskets (Krups make some which fit) and then enjoy great tasting coffee.... but you will need to develop some technique to do it. (not hard to do)

    Grinders come in various quality levels. The cheap ones produce coffee where the grind size varies (bits of different size at the same time).... no problem for a pressurised baskets.... but no good for a normal one. When beans age you need to grind a bit finer each day (to maintain the correct flow). This is a small adjustment... and the cheaper grinders - even the EM0480 - cant be adjusted fine enough. A general purpose grinder (because it is general purpose) will have large steps by definition.... and so wont have adequate adjustment.

    So for an easy start the combo will work... and you will get OK coffee if you use the supplied baskets..... but it will never be really good, certainly not great - but it could be..... and the Ikon is capable of that (with normal baskets and a good grinder).

    Hope that helps a bit. *If you have any other queries.... I and the other members here will be happy to help.
    JavaB

    Thanks very much. Your post is very informative and I have already learnt something without having bought an espresso machine yet. Just one question though, is 15Kg of Pressure equivalent to 9 Bar of pressure or 15 Bar of pressure? Can I also assume that the Sunbeam EM5600 only comes with pressurised basket? What I dont understand is that if normal baskets are required to make real good tasting coffee, why dont Breville or Sunbeam include it in all their espresso machines. How much $$ are we talking about to get a normal basket?

    Stephen

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by sschen link=1180165483/0#11 date=1180366082

    Just one question though, is 15Kg of Pressure equivalent to 9 Bar of pressure or 15 Bar of pressure? Can I also assume that the Sunbeam EM5600 only comes with pressurised basket? What I dont understand is that if normal baskets are required to make real good tasting coffee, why dont Breville or Sunbeam include it in all their espresso machines. How much $$ are we talking about to get a normal basket?

    Stephen
    Stephen,

    9 bars of pressure refers to the force with which the water is trying to get through the coffee puck. 1 Bar is approximately atmospheric pressure so 9 Bars is nine times that.....Water from your mains is normally 5 Bar or less.... so you can get some idea of the pressure involved.

    15 Kg is the force you apply to the coffee to compress it (when learning people often tamp on bathroom scales to measure the force applied.)

    The two arent related other than for coffee grinds of the correct size a 15 Kg force applied to them will only allow water at 9 Bar to flow through at the correct rate 30ml in 30 seconds.

    Yes, both machines come with pressurised baskets.... because many users (maybe even most) dont want to grind their own fresh coffee beans.... they just want to go to the supermarket and buy a vacuum packed "brick" of preground (stale) coffee. The results from normal baskets would be.... :P :P but because pressurised baskets are so forgiving - at least what you get out looks like and tastes a bit like coffee.... and even has "crema"!!

    By the way, the Sunbeam 6910 now ships with both basket types (it initially only shipped with normal baskets as Sunbeam intended it to be used by people who wanted really good coffee....) but many purchasers wanted to use supermarket stuff.... so they added the pressurised baskets.

    Replacement "normal" baskets are about $12 to $15.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hi sschen,

    You should be able to get it around the $275 mark if you pay cash. And they should give you the grinder on the spot.

    Regards,

    k

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by ktime link=1180165483/0#13 date=1180369752
    Hi sschen,

    *You should be able to get it around the $275 mark if you pay cash. And they should give you the grinder on the spot.

    Regards,

    k
    ktime

    The Perth Good Guys June catalogue has the combo for $279. This is the catalogue price and it says "Less For Cash" so $269 ($10 discount) is not out of the question. In fact, I randomly clicked on the Victoria Dandenong catalogue the first time I visited the Good Guys website and it is listed on the "Dandenong catalogue" at only $269 so I reckon $259 cash price is highly probable. In fact it looks like most Victorian stores has this combo at catalogue price of $269. I clicked on all the Perth metro catalogue and they are all listed at $279. Not sure why the Perth catalogue would be $10 dearer though, not that much difference to be of concern really.

    I think I am pretty much set on this combo to start with. If the Breville grinder is not good enough, I can always sell it sooner rather than later. In mint condition, hopefully I can get a fair price for it and can get perhaps the Sunbeam EM0480 that a lot of forum members seems to recommend. Have you yourself use the grinder to grind coffee beans and what are the results like?

    Stephen

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Stephen,

    Just on the Breville grinder, it does have a conical burrset which is an excellent start and for free?? when the Ikon is "on paper" better than the EM5600 then it really is a no brainer...

    JavaB, have you seen the Breville Grinder in question? It isnt too bad a grinder by the looks of it... it does concern me how the upper burr carrier is sitting... Very hard to see the adjustment steps without using it first... for a freebee? Again, a no brainer...

    Stephen, Im confident this setup with do for you under your current budget contraints, even with non pressurised baskets, which is a must for getting quality coffee.. and get yourself a SS tamper and throw the stupid plastic one in the bin (only after you get replacement baskets and a ss tamper. better still, buy a tamper from Pullman Tampers)

    Marc

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by marcstolk link=1180165483/15#15 date=1180393786

    JavaB, have you seen the Breville Grinder in question? It isnt too bad a grinder by the looks of it... it does concern me how the upper burr carrier is sitting... Very hard to see the adjustment steps without using it first... for a freebee? Again, a no brainer...
    Marc
    Marc,

    It looks to me to be another Solis 166 AKA Delonghi KG100 (and god knows what else) clone as far as the burr set is concerned... there are only so many manufacturers of these burrs. The Solis 166 was fine as a grinder for pressurised baskets (it too shipped as a "partner" for Solis SL70 / SL90 which came with pressurised baskets.... and now is a great plunger grinder....)

    As soon as I tried it with normal baskets you either got a gusher or a choked PF..... there were too many fines in the grind and the adjustment steps were far too big. Most grinders at this price point seem to have the adjustment step problem (but I havent actually tried the Breville). It appears the other problem these grinders have is holding the moving burr stable in relationship to the fixed burr (even Sunbeam 0480 owners report this problem....) and that results in grinds of varying sizes as the burr rotates and "wobbles".

    It certainly will be fine for the pressurised baskets.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Im not suggesting its any good... and I tend to agree with your assessment re grind quality...

    Just on the burrset, I think its a little different to the Solis 166... either way, as you rightly say, the movement is an issue...

    Just on your comment about the EM0480... Mine is quite good... the particles are reasonably even considering the price bracket it sits in...

    My point is, everyone has a budget... and Stephen appears to have a tight one... like myself... We all want a Mazzer/\/Compaq/\/Macap etc :)

    Marc..

    BTW... your explanation on Pressurised verse Normal baskets was excellent! :)

  19. #19
    Stew
    Guest

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1180165483/15#16 date=1180394762

    Marc,

    It looks to me to be another Solis 166 AKA Delonghi KG100 (and god knows what else) clone as far as the burr set is concerned... there are only so many manufacturers of these burrs. The Solis 166 was fine as a grinder for pressurised baskets (it too shipped as a "partner" for Solis SL70 / SL90 which came with pressurised baskets.... and now is a great plunger grinder....)

    As soon as I tried it with normal baskets you either got a gusher or a choked PF..... there were too many fines in the grind and the adjustment steps were far too big. Most grinders at this price point seem to have the adjustment step problem (but I havent actually tried the Breville). It appears the other problem these grinders have is holding the moving burr stable in relationship to the fixed burr (even Sunbeam 0480 owners report this problem....) and that results in grinds of varying sizes as the burr rotates and "wobbles".

    It certainly will be fine for the pressurised baskets.
    I am using a KG100 with an EM6910 at the moment with the non pressurised baskets - While it is not a great grinder by any means with the right technique on the tamp and the right grind setting (and it is stepless not stepped) you can get some great pours from fresh beans. It has been a great place to start but cetainly puts pressure on the barista skills. Took me a while after changing from pressurised baskets to get myself and the grind dialled in to get a good pour. Now I only get a dripper (opposite of a gusher) about once a week.

    That being said I am upgrading and will be relegating it to the plunger for ever.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew link=1180165483/15#18 date=1180408988
    I am using a KG100 with an EM6910 at the moment with the non pressurised baskets - While it is not a great grinder by any means with the right technique on the tamp and the right grind setting (and it is stepless not stepped) you can get some great pours from fresh beans. It has been a great place to start but cetainly puts pressure on the barista skills. Took me a while after changing from pressurised baskets to get myself and the grind dialled in to get a good pour. Now I only get a dripper (opposite of a gusher) about once a week.

    That being said I am upgrading and will be relegating it to the plunger for ever.
    Stew,

    Yep I mastered it also (sort of!) and convinced myself for quite a while that it was my lousy barista skills causing the problem....

    But just like you are about to - I bit the bullet and got a better grinder.... and the extractions were consistent, tasted so much better and the frustration level dropped drastically.....

    Im sure you will be amazed at the difference a good grinder makes (unfortunately it also makes quite a difference to your pocket). I didnt really expect the amount of improvement I got (even from the poor little Solis SL90 which I had at that time).

  21. #21
    Flo
    Flo is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    330

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Guys this has been a good disussion. JB your description of the pressurised vs non-pressurised baskets was, as Marc said, excellent. Having said that, people do need to work in real terms, and while we as snobs strive for the ultimate shot, not everyone has the budget for or access to, equipment that will enable this process to be hastened. If someone can only afford a very basic setup then so be it. We can still help them try to achieve the best possible outcome with their gear...and this is the beauty of the people on this forum; a wealth of knowledge and a willingness to help others!

    So to those who are reading this thread and are considering the purchase of a machine, just keep in mind that the advice which is offered here comes from personal experience and dollars spent. It is in no way intended to make others feel inferior if their gear is not expensive and shiny. But, (and I know you shouldnt start a sentence with "but") better quality machinery makes the coffee making process a whole lot more enjoyable and rewarding.

    :)

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Great post Flo ;-)

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by marcstolk link=1180165483/15#15 date=1180393786
    Stephen,

    Just on the Breville grinder, it does have a conical burrset which is an excellent start and for free?? when the Ikon is "on paper" better than the EM5600 then it really is a no brainer...

    JavaB, have you seen the Breville Grinder in question? It isnt too bad a grinder by the looks of it... it does concern me how the upper burr carrier is sitting... Very hard to see the adjustment steps without using it first... for a freebee? * Again, a no brainer...

    Stephen, Im confident this setup with do for you under your current budget contraints, even with non pressurised baskets, which is a must for getting quality coffee.. and get yourself a SS tamper and throw the stupid plastic one in the bin (only after you get replacement baskets and a ss tamper. better still, buy a tamper from Pullman Tampers)

    Marc
    Marc

    Any idea where I would go to get this SS tamper and "normal" baskets for the Breville IKON? Got a link fot the Pullman Tampers website?

    Wife birthday is a couple of weeks away but I will get this sometimes next week in case the offers run out.

    And thanks again to all of you for making me feel so welcomed and taking the time to explain.

    While you are at it, what is a tamper?

    Is there a beginner FAQ somewhere on this forum for me to read up all this Coffee Jargon?

    Thanks
    Stephen

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hi Stephen,

    Best bet for the Aftermarket coffee baskets would be a Seaco or Krups service agent.. Yellowpages would be where Id look to start with.. First thing is to buy the espresso machine first of course...

    A Tamper is something to press and compact the coffee grinds into the basket...but you can get this later...
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au

    Cheers,
    Marc





  25. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    28

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by marcstolk link=1180165483/15#23 date=1180445667
    Hi Stephen,

    Best bet for the Aftermarket coffee baskets would be a Seaco or Krups service agent.. Yellowpages would be where Id look to start with.. First thing is to buy the espresso machine first of course...

    A Tamper is something to press and compact the coffee grinds into the basket...but you can get this later...
    http://www.coffeetamper.com.au

    Cheers,
    Marc

    Marc

    Just had a look at the tamper website. *Those tampers really look great and a real piece of art. I had no idea there are so many "toys" to coffee making. :)

    Stephen

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,564

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hahahaha... welcome to our world ;-)

  27. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Thanks for all the advice so far everyone. Definitely points us novices in the right direction and it is good to have things explained clearly about why certain bits are important and what impact they have.

    Am in NZ so dont have the same retailers as you guys but a store here called Moore-Wilsons always has the coffee machines at really good prices (the ones I suggested in the opening post are usually priced close to $100 less than their retail anywhere else). I suppose the grinder quest begins....


  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    235

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hey thanks I just learnt something too.. where can I buy some proper baskets for my breville? Coffee parts our sponsor?

    What I find interesting is that you recommended the Ikon ($300) over the $500 "pro" machine? Can I please ask what makes the Ikon better? I would have assumed the more expensive machine would have some more features and produce better coffee or something?? Interesting!

    Ta
    Rolley

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolley link=1180165483/15#27 date=1180760807
    Hey thanks I just learnt something too.. where can I buy some proper baskets for my breville? Coffee parts our sponsor?
    Rolley,

    Again try the Saeco, Krups service agents..... CoffeeParts and probably all other site sponsors only do 58mm (commercial size) baskets. I think you will find yours are 53mm.

    What I find interesting is that you recommended the Ikon ($300) over the $500 "pro" machine? Can I please ask what makes the Ikon better? I would have assumed the more expensive machine would have some more features and produce better coffee or something??
    Ah.... unfortunately too many people assume (makes an ASS out of U and ME ;) ;D) price and features equate to quality espresso...... and that is a false assumption.

    Extra features cost more to manufacture = greater cost
    Extra features are more marketable = greater profit

    So the end user pays more - sometimes heaps more (Super Automatics)...

    But does the resultant machine make better coffee - generally not! Is it more reliable - easy answer - No!!! more functions and features will make it less reliable, more frequent and expensive repairs required... which will cost the consumer even more.

    Most of us here are more concerned by the quality of the unit, the reliability of the unit and of course - the quality of the espresso produced.

    So whilst an Ikon is not a Silvia or a Giotto.... (or my two group commercial ;)).... it has quality components (stainless steel boiler, close temperature control over the brew temp), is simple and therefore reliable and is exceptionally good value for money (at around this price range).

    It will (with "normal" baskets, freshly ground fresh beans etc...) produce espresso far superior to a super automatic costing over $1000! Cost does not equate to quality or value for money- but is generally an indicator of how easy it is to make an OK coffee..... but not a great coffee!

  30. #30
    Mal Dimal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Warwick, QLD
    Posts
    16,957

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Well stated JB 8-) [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

    Mal.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    235

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    GREAT! Thanks for that, super helpfull advice, and I totally agree.
    Ill make a point of sussing out the extra baskets, Ive always thought that was the biggest let down of my crappy old breville!!
    :D

  32. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Hey if someone in NZ knows or finds out where to get the baskets please let us know. I have sent emails of to a few different places but no responses yet.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    439

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Id get a Sunbeam Ristretto + EM450 grinder rather than any of those machines (I suspect the innards are identical to the Ikon) and either get the krups basket (the Breville and Sunbeam cheaper machines use IDENTICAL PF and baskets) or take an angle grinder/dremel to the standard double basket and remove the lower pressuring base.

  34. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: What to buy - your opinion please!

    Quote Originally Posted by kaanage link=1180165483/30#32 date=1181100288
    Id get a Sunbeam Ristretto rather than any of those machines (I suspect the innards are identical to the Ikon)
    Nope.... nothing like the Ikon.

    The biggest advantage of the Ikon is its electronic temperature control (similar to the Sunbeam 6910) which holds the temperature very tightly compared to a thermostat (with a huge temperature variation caused by the dead band) in the Ristretto. Makes a real difference to brew quality.

    You could compare it to the Ristretto with a PID fitted (including the additional cost of the PID)

    The Ikon is IMHO exceptional value in this price range.



Similar Threads

  1. Anyone have an opinion on these?
    By sampam in forum Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th June 2011, 07:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •