Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breville Pro 800ES

O_P

Breville Pro 800ES

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

Ive been reading this forum for the last week and this weekend went out to buy a machine at the sales at Myer.
    I was aiming at the Breville Ikon (BES400) but they were selling them for $399 which is silly money, so I ended up with an 800ES for $400 on sale because I figured if everyone is saying the Ikon is good then surely the Pro is as good if not better right?
    Well now Im worried after reading what some people have been saying about the 800ES in here.

Ive tried it with the pressurised baskets and Im not overly impressed.
    Has anyone tried it with the replacement Krups baskets yet? Please tell me the extraction time gets better.
    The coffee seems to come out pretty watery at the moment. When I add milk, the coffee loses just about all its taste.
    Also, when removing the portafilter, there is water on the top of the puck and the puck comes out like slop and not in one nice piece.
    Is this due to the pressurised baskets? Or is it more to do with the grind? Or am I not tamping hard enough?
    Im happy to go out and buy some cheap beans and play around until I sort the fineness of the grind and the tamp pressure out, but I want to make sure Im not wasting my time on a dud machine.

Im using a EM0450 on a setting of about 5.

Any tips?
    Are these the right non pressurised baskets to go for?
    Part number for the Krups non-pressurised double basket is MS0907163, $11.12+GST.
    Number for the non-pressurised single basket is MS0925592, $13.84+GST

Am I asking too many questions for a n00b?
    Cheers.

Re: Breville Pro 800ES

The Ikon is a boiler machine (better for steaming) the Pro is a thermo block. the espresso from them is probably pretty similar,
    the main difference being in how the water is heated. You have the pro now so best to not think too hard about it. if the coffee is coming out watery and with little flavor then you may have one of two issues or both. You need a finer grind (most likely) and also are your beans fresh roasted? (no more the a few weeks old.) Also how long had your machine been on? 5 min? it will probably need a good half hour to an hour for everything to get hot, if its not then you wont be getting all the flavor from the coffee.

On the subject of pressurized baskets they will always give a soggy puck so dont worry untill you get them unpressurized. Also I dont know if the Pro has a 3 way valve so even with unpressurized baskets you may still get soggy pucks. Its not necessarily an indication of whats in the cup, so dont worry too much.

Cheers I hope that helped.

Id be more concerned that the EM0450 is set at 5.... Id be call Sunbeam about that... it should be around the 12-16 area for Espresso...

O_P

Ive been reading a bit more about it and Im seriously tempted to take it back now.
    People and saying its a bit rubbish for steaming milk (I want to practice coffee art) and that even with the Krups baskets its better, but still not all that great.

I got it at Myer and its been less than a week, so Im guessing I can just clean it and box it up and take it back.
    I got it on special though with the American Express stuff that was going on on the weekend, so I hope they dont make me give my $120 gift card back :(

If I was going to get something between $400 and $520 from Myer, what would be the machine to go for?

As for the grinder, the beans arent freshly roasted.
    Ill head off to a local roaster and pick some up and see what a setting of 12-16 produces.

Thanks.

Fair enough... but still... setting of 5 on my EM0480 (same internally as the EM0450) produces powder!

Quote Originally Posted by O_P link=1180922645/0#3 date=1180930567

If I was going to get something between $400 and $520 from Myer, what would be the machine to go for?

As for the grinder, the beans arent freshly roasted.
    Ill head off to a local roaster and pick some up and see what a setting of 12-16 produces.

Thanks.
    dont worry about numbers with grinders. they are never the same. just worry about whether the pour is too fast. take it a step finer. or two slow, take it a step courser.

in the price range you mention from myer I would get gaggia classic. If you dont have to buy from myer I would get an Imat. (I think they are about that price)

Hey sorry I dont have much input here, but I just thought Id add I prefer my sunbeam grinder set at 10... 5 would totally clog the machine I use and probably explode!
    heh..
    Im so helpful arent i..
    :D

TC

Quote Originally Posted by O_P link=1180922645/0#3 date=1180930567
    <snip>
    If I was going to get something between $400 and $520 from Myer, what would be the machine to go for?<snip>
    Erm...might I suggest something which doesnt come from Myer *:-?.....They know about as much about coffee and espresso machines as I do about running department stores ;)

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_man67 link=1180922645/0#5 date=1180931511
    dont worry about numbers with grinders. they are never the same. just worry about whether the pour is too fast. take it a step finer. or two slow, take it a step courser.
    I agree. Plus with different machine/dose/beans/roast/ambient conditions, you cannot compare grind numbers even if there was no manufacturing tolerance.

Id get a Sunbeam Ristretto if you want to stay below $400. (a friend with one of these + depressurised basket can get really quite decent espresso with a EM480C grinder - set around 5). Zero cred for fashion but the most cost effective espresso you can get.

Keep the machine now that you bought it.
    It will steam enough to froth milk for two. It might just take a little longer but in turn it will make it easier to get it right. It seems that you are a beginner so a little less steaming power could be a good thing for you. I have the Sunbeam EM6900 which is also a thermoblock and it can froth beautiful microfoam.
    IMO, the grinder is fine and so is the espresso machine. They will serve you well if you learn how to make the most of it. Change the basket if you can, though.

Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto EM2300 is well bellow $400, indeed. It costs only $99.95 RRP and less if you can bargain a git. ;)

O_P

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1180922645/0#7 date=1180933455
    Erm...might I suggest something which doesnt come from Myer :-?.....They know about as much about coffee and espresso machines as I do about running departmant stores ;)
    Well thats why Im asking you guys for advice and not them ;)
    I have the $120 gift voucher for Myer now, so I kinda want to use that.
    The Gaggia Classic looks nice.

From what Ive read now it looks like Id be better off taking it back than trying to stick it out with the Krups baskets.

O_P

Quote Originally Posted by Monti link=1180922645/0#9 date=1180939146
    Keep the machine now that you bought it.
    It will steam enough to froth milk for two. It might just take a little longer but in turn it will make it easier to get it right. It seems that you are a beginner so a little less steaming power could be a good thing for you. I have the Sunbeam EM6900 which is also a thermoblock and it can froth beautiful microfoam.
    IMO, the grinder is fine and so is the espresso machine. They will serve you well if you learn how to make the most of it. Change the basket if you can, though.
    <snip>
    Just read the above after posting. So conflicted now...
    Ive done a barista and coffee art course at coffeeschool.com.au and we were using commercial machines there, so in terms of steaming power Im fine and can get pretty good microfoam going on a commercial machine.
    The E6910 looks awesome, but Im not sure if I want to drop the extra $300 on it. But then if $120 of that is going to be a gift voucher...

Id recommend returning it, spend the $120 on some nice Luigi Bormioli glasses, or some quality cookware whilst their sale is on.

Perhaps a nice TV or DVD or sound system. Maybe an iPod.

Speak to one of the sponsors. Give them a budget and see what they can tell you. Its WELL worth the effort.

You might spend more now, but youll spend a lot less later.

Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto EM2300 is well bellow $400, indeed. *It costs only $99.95 RRP and less if you can bargain a git. * ;)
    Ive seen them for $69.95 - dead set bargain...

O_P

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage link=1180922645/0#13 date=1180941554
    Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto EM2300 is well bellow $400, indeed. It costs only $99.95 RRP and less if you can bargain a git. ;)
    Ive seen them for $69.95 - dead set bargain...
    Are these any better than the Breville Bar Italia? Because I have one of those at work and Im not all that impressed.

Running hot water over 3 week old coffee is better than a Breville bar Italia.

OK - perhaps not, but you get the gist. The Bar Italia proudly boasts its 3 bar POWER!!

In short, its not a very good machine.

Well,

I guess it comes down to this... Would you risk taking advice from a Sewing Machine salesperson to spend $50,000 on a new car? Or would you go to a recognised and respected professional car dealer with a good rep?

Same with anything to do with "quality" coffee.... If you are genuinely interested in the longer term benefits of owning and using coffee making hardware that is capable of consistently producing great coffee, then you need to talk to coffee professionals. Simple as that really and it costs you nothing to discuss the available options with one of our respected coffee professionals who also double as CS Site Sponsors.... Definitely worth a phone call :-?

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by O_P link=1180922645/0#11 date=1180940421
    So conflicted now...
    Ive done a barista and coffee art course at coffeeschool.com.au and we were using commercial machines there, so in terms of steaming power Im fine and can get pretty good microfoam going on a commercial machine.
    The E6910 looks awesome, but Im not sure if I want to drop the extra $300 on it. But then if $120 of that is going to be a gift voucher...
    I did the same course before I started looking for equipment.

You cant compare what they taught you on to anything you can by from Myer.
    The course taught you the basics and gave you an understanding of the right way to do things.
    Ive since bought my Expobar and also worked for a short while in a cafe where the steam power of the machine surprised me.
    All different machines. But the basics of making the coffee are the same.

I think you need to re-evaluate what your requirements are, tempered by your budget.

When youve sorted that out you can decide whether or not to return the machine or forge ahead.

I have to differ here...

I bought my Gaggia Classic from Myer, and absolutely love it. I live in a small country town in the SW of WA though, so choice is extremely limited, even in Perth. There are very few places that sell quality machines. Myer was having a sale, and my brother gets a staff discount, so I saved enough to buy a Sunbeam grinder as well!

If you are prepared to do your own research, you can buy anyway that offers a good price.

Dont be rude and use up a salepersons good time with no intention of buying from them though, I am always happy to pay extra for good advice, if only I have found a place to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by O_P link=1180922645/0#14 date=1180942191
    Are these any better than the Breville Bar Italia? Because I have one of those at work and Im not all that impressed.
    Only infinitely.

The Bar Italia is a steam toy so not only is the pressure very low (as already posted) but the water being forced through the coffee grinds is superheated (since its under pressure) so the result will be a weak, yet bitter brew.

The Ristretto is a pump machine and can produce surprisingly acceptable espresso (with a depresuurised basket and a decent grinder)

O_P

Well, after spending all that money with my Amex, they sent me $100 in David Jones vouchers too, so Ill go off and get a Ristretto for work.

Current plan is to take back the Breville on the weekend and spend the extra to get a 6910. I went round to a friends place and they have one and reckon it is awesome and they are a food snob in general, and after reading all the reviews Im sold.

Quote Originally Posted by O_P link=1180922645/15#20 date=1181195609
    they have one and reckon it is awesome and they are a food snob in general,
    Thats not a guarantee that they have a clue what theyre on about. I have friends with a full on HX + Mazzer set up at home who are also foodies yet run Grinders coffee because of long term patronage of a cafe which uses Grinders.

And they think its fab. And wont try anything else...... :-?

That said, the EM6910 is the most foolproof machine for making decent espresso, this side of a Synesso.

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage link=1180922645/15#21 date=1181204193
    That said, the EM6910 is the most foolproof machine for making decent espresso, this side of a Synesso.
    wow big call. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by muppet_man67 link=1180922645/15#22 date=1181210008
    wow big call. ;)
    Indeed

It is a big call however the large baskets allow for "dosing errors" and heavy updosing... Personally I would prefer smaller baskets and I may buy smaller ones soon...

Yep, that is why I used the word "decent" rather than "great".

The lack of need of temp surfing (as per Sylvia/Gaggia) or flushing (as per HX/Brewtus(Minore)/LM) plus the extraction pressure gauge and massive baskets gives the EM6910 (and previous EM6900) makes it an easy "walk up and pull the espresso" machine. Of course, you wont get great espresso without being anal with dose/tamp but the margin for a decent shot is very large.

yea I hadnt thought about the gauge. once you know where it should be, it would make dialing in a grinder very easy. I still use a stopwatch to check im in the ballpark with new fresh beans.

O_P

Well I talked to someone in Myer in the city as I was walking through and they said the returns policy is not a satisfaction policy so it doesnt matter if I dont like the machine Im stuck with it now.
    I think they might have had a bad day, they didnt seem very keen to help, even when I told them Id be happy to put down another $200 to get a machine that does what it claims to do, which is make cafe style coffee.
    She told me to talk to Breville.

I bought it from Bondi, so hopefully Ill have more luck there.
    It i in "as new" condition, as stated in their returns policy, its just that it has been used. Looking at it, youd never tell though.

I think Ill box it back up and take it into Bondi and try my luck.

I had a look at the gaggia classic while I was there, it looks like a nice little machine, and is over $100 cheaper than the 6910 too.
    Is there a gaggia vs 6910 thread around I should read?

Stick to the line that "it doesnt do what it claims to do".
    Thats in line with NSW consumer legislation.
    They have to give you your money back if they cant prove you wrong.

The law says you have the right to "repair, replacement or refund".
    The choice of which option is yours not theirs.

If they get pushy, ask them to make you a cafe style coffee on the machine.
    Ill bet they dont know anything about how to use the machine.

Tell them you are a qualified barista.
    Take your certificate with you if you have to.

Stand your ground and youll win.

Id buy the EM6910 over the classic without even a blink... had the Gaggia had a bigger boiler, Id rethink...

wow...myer stores all over melbourne would take back in a heart beat if you werent happy....of course its up to the managers descretion, but even without a receipt theyll take it back, as long as they stock it. i used to work with a few people at myer head office (buying office)...try again!

TC

Oh yeah Greg? :-? You wanna see my souped up Giotto! 8-)

Only if it has neons!

What kind of things have you done to the Giotto?

Quote Originally Posted by marcstolk link=1180922645/15#29 date=1181363152
    Id buy the EM6910 over the classic without even a blink... had the Gaggia had a bigger boiler, Id rethink...

I would buy the 6910 if it was priced like the throw-away item it is. I notice the 6900 has dropped to $399 in the latest Hardly Normal cattledog, which I reckon is about right.

With the Gaggia, you can easily get replacement parts for it, and at a reasonable cost. The Classic has been around for a decade or more, and it is the norm for well maintained Classics to last this long, the 6910 has yet to prove its longevity.

I think it is awesome that the mass-producers of household appliances are getting into the serious coffee making market, more competition is a good thing, but I think they should know their place in the market. I would really like to see a choice between a $300-500 sunbeam/breville/etc, and a $800 Silvia/Gaggia, all of which make comparable coffee. That way, I could choose between a well priced machine that will last 5 years, and a machine that will last 10 years plus.

I dont know if would want to go 10 years without trying getting something new. Technology changes fast and beautiful new equipment comes out every year. :)

O_P

Well the Breville has gone back. The guy at Bondi was a great help unlike the nasty old cow in the city.
    Myer had the 6910 at $699, which is a bit steep.
    The classic was only $549.

I was informed these should drop by at least 10% in the next 2 weeks with the mid yearly sales, so Ill just wait till then and use my gift card to knock it down a bit more.

Whats the warranty on the Sunbeam compared to the Gaggia? Are they both 2 years like the Breville?
    Ive been reading about issues with the 6900 but most people seem to think the 6910 is the bees knees.

Ive been thinking about the longevity argument, but Ill probably upgrade it within 5 years anyway.
    The classic does look good though...

I have had my Gaggia Classic, matched with a Sunbeam EM0480 grinder for around 14 months now, and reckon I am pretty spoilt! Not many people get their first introduction to coffee with something that can actually make damn fine coffee.

The strengths of the Classic are well covered elsewhere, do a google for "review of Gaggia Classic" and you will get a good number. I reckon you cant beat it for making two flat whites, and four at a pinch. I have about four or five different size cups for different occasions, my favourites are the Bodum Pavinas, which only come out on weekends, I also have my everyday cups, and my Latte/mocha/hot choc mug/cup thingos. Not sure what they are called, but they are a mug with no handle. Anyway, to make four cups I always use the smallest in my collection, and the Classic does struggle a bit, but it does the job.

I reckon you cant go past it, especially if you can get it for less than $500, and I reckon you will still get some money for it in a few years time, not sure you can say that about the Sunbeam.

The only real bugger about the Classic is the steaming wand. I replaced mine with a Saeco wand and removed the outer sleave, which does the job amazingly well. I got mine for nix from a service centre, because the lock-nut on the top was cracked, and someone had brought it in for repair. I knew that the lock-nut was the same size as the Classic, so grabbed it and took it home. I think you can but the wand new as well. It is a real blight on what is a great product, and takes a bit of the shine off.

Anyway, goodluck with your decision.

The EM6910 is a much better machine that the EM6900 hands down... I still think though that the espresso pour can get a tad sour (bit still quite good) - unless you run a tighter pour (ristretto). I think the Classic has the Sunbeams measure there... however, that is where it ends.. The Sunbeam EM6910 will do more Lattes in shorter time that the Classic and wont run out of steam during the process. And the heating elements are Lined with SS... which again, is better than straight Aluminium... However, the quality of build on the Classic is probably better than the Sunbeam...

Like all things, Pros and Cons on all machines!

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1180922645/30#31 date=1181366129
    Oh yeah Greg? *:-? You wanna see my souped up Giotto! *8-)
    How do you get around the need for a cooling flush without stuffing the continuous usage or steam temp, Chris?
    A guy on alt.coffee spent quite a lot of time with PIDs etc in an ulitmately futile attempt to make his La Cimbali Jnr a "wallkup shot" machine. Analysing from first principals, I cant see how a HX machine can avoid the need for a flush if it has been idle for a while.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by kaanage link=1180922645/30#38 date=1181610562
    Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1180922645/30#31 date=1181366129
    Oh yeah Greg? *:-? You wanna see my souped up Giotto! *8-)
    How do you get around the need for a cooling flush without stuffing the continuous usage or steam temp, Chris?
    A guy on alt.coffee spent quite a lot of time with PIDs etc in an ulitmately futile attempt to make his La Cimbali Jnr a "wallkup shot" machine. Analysing from first principals, I cant see how a HX machine can avoid the need for a flush if it has been idle for a while.
    Come and have a play sometime Greg....There is no doubt that the cooling flush is somewhat reduced. Another bonus is we can run higher boiler pressure (1.3 bar) without an increase in group temperature....

Chris

Itd be great to see you, again, Chris. The Melb coffee scene hasnt been the same since Andrew sold Maltitude. So you are near Veneziano?

TC

Yes Greg- Veneziano is pretty much in my backyard ;)

hi guys,
    Would appreciate your help here.
    I was sucked into buying a Breville BES820 that came with a free grinder, set me back $580(initial budget was $200) ::). I took it home and tried it out anticipating a decent coffee but I must say i was quite disappointed with the results. The coffee has that same distinctive taste (soapy taste) that most cheap coffee machines produce !!!!
    This is why I checked out this forum to read up on the reviews of this particular model. Once again I was disappointed to find out that the BES820 is not rated highly by the regular posters here.(should have done my research on here before :-/)
    I am now thinking about taking it back to retrovision but I dont like my chances of getting an exchange / refund.

>:(
    WHAT SHOULD I DO ??

The grinder was probably cheap trash as well.

If you are in NSW take it back and tell them its "not fit for purpose".
    Look up Trade Practices Act and Consumer Affairs so you can get the lingo down pat.

If you are going to spend that much youd be better off spending a bit more and getting the Sunbeam 6910.
    Youll still need a grinder though and the Sunbeam 0450 is a minimum (around another $150).
    -------
    But just in case its not the machines fault, are you using freshly ground, freshly roasted coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by Spelunx link=1180922645/30#33 date=1181429527
    I would buy the 6910 if it was priced like the throw-away item it is. I notice the 6900 has dropped to $399 in the latest Hardly Normal cattledog, which I reckon is about right.
    What do you expect a machine to do in the $800 bracket? Its not going to make super-dooper awesome cafe style coffee is it? Even all the $2500 hx machines Ive played with are inadequate...I do have high standards though. But I allow the fact that its not a commercial machine...and priced as such.

By the time 10 years comes around Im sure upgraditis would have well and truly set in. I mean...I bought a Mazzer Mini grinder less than 12 months ago...sold that and waiting for the arrival of a Compak K10 WBC grinder which retails in excess of $2000. Dont get me wrong...Im not made of money...Im just a student and Im actually saving up for a new car. But as a barista I see the value in good equipment.

Im in VIC and i am using harris premium coffee beans i bought from safeway today. I also tried out some ground coffee that had been sitting in the cupboard for the last 6 months and there wasnt a huge difference in taste. Very disappointing considering how much I payed for the coffee machine but maybe I try better quality beans ??
    Then again, reading the reviews on this forum has given me huge doubts and I have totally been put of Breville all together!! I
    :-[

Oh dear....Supermarket beans are just as bad as pre-ground. Theyve probably been sitting on the shelves for months...and months. Coffee only has a lifespan of around 1 month! I use my coffee up until around day 25...then its in the bin because it just doesnt taste any good.

Find yourself a quality coffee roaster that is local to you. You can try St Ali in South Melbourne and Atomica on Brunswick st Fitzroy just to get you started.

Decent coffee can be had from freshly ground and fresh roasted coffee...from almost any machine....its all about working with the machine and getting to know how to pull decent shots given what is in front of you.

Hi Ken

The machine you have is certainly a lot better than what most people have at home. All machines have their individual quirks - both good and bad, so hang in there and get to know and work with yours and Im sure youll soon be making far better coffees than many cafes. If you really, really dont like the machine, I suggest going back to the place of purchase with cap in hand type attitude rather than I know my rights attitude is always a better approach

As David mentions above, good fresh coffee will help you achieve this as will a good grinder. I would add Andys "Buy Brown" on the left of the screen as another option to add to Davids suggestion.

And dont let anyones arrogance put you off either! Cant wait to hear what sort of new car Wushoes buys with his high standards ;)

ken its no surprise that the harris premium and the 6 month old stuff from the back of the cupboard tasted the same.
    Now you know why I asked the questiopn regarding fresh coffee.

It will make a HUGE difference.

Now go find some.

appreciate the help guys,
    I guess ill hold on and try some better coffee beans. Will get back to you in a few days with the results.
    As for the grinder, i obviously dont know much about them, all i know is that it sells for around 150 bux.
    Its a breville BarAroma
    see picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast