Thread: something cheaper than the breville Ikon?

becclebee

something cheaper than the breville Ikon?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey all,

i have been reading*lots this site as i am just about to purchase my first coffee machine. unfortunately i am on a very tight budget.

after all the discussions, i have decided to get the sunbeam grinder em0480 that everyone is keen on for the price. (and the priority of getting a good grinder).

having a budget of around $300, this leaves me with $150 or so for a coffee machine - you see my problem. i would have gone for the Ikon, but i just cant afford it. Sunbeam do a coffee machine for about my price - em3600 - and i am thinking about getting it.

I would really appreciate some thoughts on whether this machine is ok to get. I was thinking about then getting a normal basket to put on it and ending up with ok coffee at home.

does anyone have a better solution...

thanks

Re: something cheaper than the breville Ikon?

Hey welcome to CS!
    I would assume you wont be getting any good machines with that amount of money, maybe get plungeer and maybe popper with $150 and youll still have heaps left and get some grean beans. Roast yourself and youll get amazing taste results with that combo.
    Other then that you can go for the EM3600 or some other machine.
    Someone will come up with more ideas soon:)

Sunbeam ristretto would be what Id get, get replacement baskets and get the Sunbeam EM0450/\/0480 grinder.... You could do this for under $300 ;) And have money spare to buy a popper and green beans and youre away.

becclebee

Quote Originally Posted by marcstolk link=1183083288/0#2 date=1183085706
    Sunbeam ristretto would be what Id get, get replacement baskets and get the Sunbeam EM0450/\/0480 grinder.... * You could do this for under $300 * ;) *And have money spare to buy a popper and green beans and youre away.
    i am curious - why the ristretto (em2300) over the cafe esspresso(em3600)? is it better, or just cheaper?

$100 more will score you a Presso to use with the EM0450/0480...easily my recommendation if you dont mind skimping on the milk.

DIG

i reckon my breville cafe roma, with a modified filter basket (5mm hole drilled in bottom layer) is making fantastic coffee, particularly now that I have the sunbeam grinder, and that I am using fresh roasted coffee beans - MUCH better than virtually all cafe brews that I have tried lately. In fact, I am now reluctant to spend money on coffee in most cafes because it is so inferior to my home brew. You can buy a cafe roma for $150.

becclebee

Quote Originally Posted by Daveze link=1183083288/0#4 date=1183091181
    $100 more will score you a Presso to use with the EM0450/0480...easily my recommendation if you dont mind skimping on the milk.
    thanks, but nah. i hate to say it but milk is really important to me.

also i get the better baskets for the breville roma?

The Ristretto would be better for Espresso... The Em3600 Thermoblock isnt electronically temp controlled so I wouldnt bother... The Ristretto is a Boiler machine... which would have better steam production...

DIG

Quote Originally Posted by becclebee link=1183083288/0#6 date=1183093157
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveze link=1183083288/0#4 date=1183091181
    thanks, but nah. i hate to say it but milk is really important to me.

also i get the better baskets for the breville roma?
    I tried to find non-pressurised baskets, but they arent so easy to get hold of I discovered, so I ended up making my own one, as have some others. CHeck this thread for details if you want to go that option. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1168768543

Heyyyy! Id just like to say I agree with the Breville Roma, thats actually what I have. It does the job, make sure you throw that stupid rubber bit that goes on the steamer out, youre much better off steaming without it.
    the Roma is an easy machine to master, once you get it down pat youll totally own it.
    Cool.
    Rolley

heh.. Im so not a handy person, and I have been procrastinating the hunt for unpressurised baskets that will fit my Roma.. so I just gave my baskets to my Bro in law, whos a top boiler maker - its handy to have handy family! Ill take some pics when he brings it back to do a show and tell.
    Rolley

I wouldnt start roasting until you know what good coffee really is and how to make it on whatever setup you decide to go with.

CSers will always offer advice for how to get the best out of your setup

I would stick with the best grinder you can buy and a plunger. You will get great coffee with fresh beans every time.

Put the change in a jar and add $5 a week to it, before you can blink you will have enough money to buy a decent machine, and you would have matured your pallette big-time by then, so you will really appreciate the taste.

There are some very good deals around at the moment for the Ikon (BES400) with the Breville Grinder (BCG450), with a combined RRP of $505, discounted down to $250 - 260. Though if this tickles your fancy, you will probably have to get going as I would imagine these sales will wind up on Monday

I have posted some comments about the Breville grinder in another thread, but the gist is, it would be a mistake to dismiss it as incapable - its perfectly capable of producing a good grind, eg for espresso, with adjustments fine enough to get your optimum pour (I bought one yesterday and have been playing around with it yesterday and today. The present deal gives you the opportunity to get the Ikon - arguably the best machine in this price range - plus a grinder which is not a toy, giving you probably at least 2 or 3 years for your tastes and skills to develop. At that stage you can, if you wish, sell them and upgrade to something which will undoubtedly be considerably more expensive, to match your undoubtedly enhanced discernment.

While the BCG450 grinder can grind fine enough for espresso, that is not the only criteria - it has to grind consistently too, else the coffee will be bitter. Also, you need to use a depressurised basket before you can really evaluate if the grinder is properly capable for espresso so have you tried it with your EM6910 or only with the Ikon?

I agree with marcstolk, on the Ristretto. You will need to temp surf it but once you know where the optimum brew point is, the Ristretto will make better shots than any of the single thermoblock machines (Breville Roma/800/BarVista, Sunbeam EM5800 and below, DeLonghis etc), especially with a depressurised basket. I have not used the Ikon as yet so I cannot say whether its temp control is really that much better than the Ristrettos.

And Wushoes is dead right about learning to pull shots properly before roasting. Otherwise, you will have no idea if a shot is bad because of the roast or the extraction.

Yes kaanage, I tried it with the 6910 (non-pressurised basket) and the resultant espresso was indistinguishable from that from the EM0480.

I cant see any reason for the grind to be inconsistent on the Breville (it has been entirely consistent for me so far). Was that a general catch-all question re cheaper grinders, or did it come from a specific experience?

No, no. It was a general comment about fine grind ability no necessarily equating to good grind quality.

Im glag to hear the Breville is good as it gives another alternative to the Sunbeams

Id be concerned about the Breville grinder (Ive had a closer look)... the upper burr carrier is a SHOCKER (Same as the Solis 166/\/Delonghi KG100)! There is NO way youll get a good consistant grind compared with the EM0480... they are worlds apart... but not in the price...

However, the Ikon and grinder deal that was recently on was a nice little earner and hard to beat in that price range...

Kaanage is correct about grind quality... its not ALWAYS about maximum fineness...

If the Breville has the same upper burr carrier system as the Solis 166/\/Delonghi KG100, it may grind reasonably well and fine enough when new but it will wear rather quickly with adverse effects on both fineness and quality.

If price is an issue, the EM450 is a better choice (although it is purely doserless so rather messy)

kaanage said "Im gla(d) to hear the Breville is good as it gives another alternative to the Sunbeams".

Id agree that its an alternative only in the sense that if your budget doesnt extend to the Sunbeam, then you can at least get an acceptable grinder for less than half the price, if you can get the special deal. Its still good advice to get the best possible grinder you can afford - though as with everything else, price is not always an infallible guide to quality.

Given the many criticisms of the Sunbeam (I have not experienced any of the quality glitches, happily), its my hope that Sunbeam will eventually release an upgraded grinder - eg just as they listened to user experiences and upgraded the EM6900 to the EM6910 - and if that happens Ill buy one, retire the Breville, and transfer the EM480 to my business premises.

Marcstolk, perhaps time will tell, but I have had unwavering consistency with the Breville so far, so I can only go on my experience.

its good advice not to skimp on the grinder but not necessarily spend every penny you have on a Mazzer....in the lower class machine end Id be looking at a grinder that outweighs the price of the machine....in the higher end "prosumer" end with all that shiny chrome....Mini or Compak at least.