Thread: Recommendations for Expresso Machine for app $500

Recommendations for Expresso Machine for app $500

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Andy,

I am wanting to buy my husband an Expresso Machine for his birthday but dont really want to spend over $500, (Sad I know) I am willing to pay a little bit more if I have to... I have just been on the "Choice " website and they recommend the Magimix L Expresso Automatic 11233 and the Sunbeam Cafe Latte Em5600. Also what are your thoughts on purchasing a reconditioned machine..? If I can get a better one for the same amount of money..? Any thoughts about the Silvia..?
    Kate

Re: Recommendations for Expresso Machine for app $

Hi Kate,

Having just read Choices recommendation for grinders and their previous recommendations for espresso machines I would stay clear of anything they recommend ;)

Have a look at this thread:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163234999

I lists some machines that might appeal. You will see over and over again a general concensus that a good grinder must also be considered and in many ways more important than the machine. A good grinder can help a cheaper machine deliver good coffee. A poor quality grinder will deilver crap coffee from an expensive machine.

Note that expensive doesnt necessarily mean good when it comes to espresso machines. Im sure others here can help with their experience with machines around the $500 mark. You should also consider 2nd hand. You can land a good 2nd hand Silvia for around that amount.

Cheers,

Matt

Edit: I just noticed that thread listly mostly high end machines :-[ Look in the Brewing Equipment - Entry Level

Kate,

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

The consensus here is Choice doesnt really know anything about espresso machines.

Whats hubbys take on coffee?
    Will he be thrilled to receive an espresso machine?
    If yes, then you are really going to have to budget for a good grinder.

Talk to some site sponsors.
    Theyll find you the best combination within your budget.

Hey,

You could go with a Solis SL-70 and a Sunbeam grinder and that should be just about $500 or a little more.. cant remember. I have that combo and find it pretty decent. If your more of a milk drinking person then the solis has heaps of steam. The shots are ok, though you would want to get unpressurised baskets for it. The main problem i have with the solis is it doesnt have a 3 way valve...:( Sometimes I accedently take it out too fast and it puffs grounds everywhere.

Just another selection:)

Thanks everyone, is it true that the Silvia can produce coffee that tastes bitter, someone had mentioned this to me.. Or is it the user...? I am so confused about what to buy....It seems that there are so many varied opinions on what is good..

Matt I had a look at that thread but the machines look a bit to pricey for my budget..

Thanks for your time......

Every machine has the potential to make bitter espresso!

That said, the Silvia can easily burn your coffee if you dont temperature surf the boiler to make sure youre not getting water above 96 deg C pushing through your coffee and therefore burning it.

Hi wiggo and welcome to the confusing world of CoffeeSnobs.

Any machine can produce bitter or sour coffee and that is caused by extracting at too high or too low a temperature. basically it comes down to using the machine you choose correctly.

Even my commercial 2 group La Cimbali can produce awful coffee if you dont use good technique.

The important things in order are:

Technique - this can be learnt at a course but requires practice, practice and then some more practice to perfect.

Freshly ground freshly roasted coffee beans - none of that supermarket stuff!!

A good grinder (but if you choose one of the machines with "crema enhancing" or "pressurised" baskets this becomes far less important - and the resultant coffee quality is also far lower). I would personally not recommend anything less than a Iberital- the Sunbeams should be OK but have a history of being very unreliable. You may need to spend more on the grinder than the machine!!!

A coffee machine... and if the budget is tight the Breville Ikon is an interesting economy machine (which requires the baskets to be replaced with "normal" non-crema enhancing ones).

The Sivia is an excellent machine and produces quality coffee, many have had success with the EM6910..... and the price goes up from there.

As has been said before, talk to a site sponsor who will show you different models and explain how to get the most out of each.... they have the expertise whereas if you go to a discount store you pay less but what you are saving will cost you the knowledge, experience and support you would get from a site sponsor.

And to echo what has already been said - Choice know nothing about coffee machines!!!

Thanks, looks like I have a lot to learn...!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaB link=1183628232/0#6 date=1183638793
    A coffee machine... and if the budget is tight the Breville Ikon is an interesting economy machine (which requires the baskets to be replaced with "normal" non-crema enhancing ones).
    Gday wiggo,

Have to agree with pretty well everything that JB has written above. From all accounts the little Breville Ikon has the potential to be an excellent espresso machine with the provisos that JB has mentioned. Im not sure of the deadline involved but there is some kind of promotion going on with the Ikon at the moment that gives you the Ikon and a basic grinder for the mid $200s. If you then kept the el-cheapo Breville grinder for use as a Plunger Only grinder, you would still have change out of your $500 budget to buy a Sunbeam EMO480/450 grinder and the "normal" PF Baskets.

This combo will then be capable of giving you serious bang-for-buck and pretty darn good espressos too. With a bit of practice, using freshly roasted beans and grinding your beans immediately before brewing, Im pretty sure youll soon be pulling shots that are significantly better than most coffee shops.

All the best,

Mal.

Hi Mal,

Breville Ikon sounds like a good machine for me to start with. Have you got any ideas where you saw the deal with the grinder..? Thanks sounds like a fantastic solution...

I appreciate your help....

Hmmm,

Not real sure but I think it was "The Good Guys".... You could always do a search for "Ikon" related posts over the last couple of weeks to a month and see what pops up, might be a safer way to go.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1183628232/0#10 date=1183643833
    Hmmm,

Not real sure but I think it was "The Good Guys"....

Mal.

Yep [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Wiggo, you are going the right way about things to get good results, by posting and reading here. Particularly in the lower price brackets, there are a lot of wannabes.

Just want to add to the good advice above - I have the Sunbeam EM6910/EM480 combo at home, and the Breville Ikon BES400/BCG450 at work (ie, espresso machine and grinder combo), and can attest to how good they are. Before buying them, I did lots of reading here and in other places, and am very happy with the advice I received.

I paid $255 for the Breville combo at Good Guys - I dont know if that catalogue special is still available, but it would be worth ringing around.

The Sunbeam combination would cost you around three times that (best discounted price)... but if you can stretch to that much, you are getting some seriously good gear for your money. Both the Sunbeam espresso machine and the grinder are far better than the Brevilles (as you would expect for the money!), and a better long term investment. Its certainly possible to get very good coffee out of the Brevilles - the main advantage of the Sunbeams is their ease of use and much heavier duty construction (eg, the Sunbeam has twin thermoblocks so you can steam milk at the same time as making coffee).

Wiggo - you can always try a Gaggia Classic. They seem to very in price from $550 - $600+ depending on where you go. Somebody recently told where they got one for about $450 and it was not evil bay.

They are a great machine for beginners and there are a few of us on here who can help with any questions. As a first machine it would be perfect.

You will need a good grinder however and I would recommend a hand grinder if you cannot afford the approx $300 for an Iberital challenge or Gaggia MDF (if you can find one) which is the best you could get.

joe

I agree with Lucinda - or you could go for the Baby for $100-or-so less. This would make it easier to acquire the grinder that youll need.

Internally the Classic and Baby are practically the same.

kay

Hello Wiggio,

I am a former owner of the Sunbeam Cafe Latte - also found through the Choice route! I discovered Coffee Snobs too late. You are doing things the right way round.

I found the Latte could make a reasonable coffee - sometimes. But it had a tendency to spit and spurt, right from the beginning. Tried the non-pressurised baskets, but still spurted from time to time. It was so annoying and I didnt dare make for others because you just didnt know what sort of mood it would be in. For myself, the coffee would be part coffee and leaked water. Early on I phoned Sunbeam and they posted out 2 replacement filter baskets - but still the pressurised baskets.

I phoned Sunbeam again - they suggested removing and cleaning the shower screen, which I did. The good thing about this machine is that it has a replacement warranty, so I returned it to the retailer who did not hesitate and allowed me to upgrade to the 6910.

That was my experience with the Cafe Latte. And I must also say that Sunbeam give good service and stand by their warranty.

Good luck

Kay