Thread: To Presso or not to Presso?

To Presso or not to Presso?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Dear Caffeinated Cognoscente,
    A newby with questions that may have been answered and I missed them (or perhaps this should post elsewhere). If so please redirect me and apologies for the fumble.

So, last week was the end of year sale at a local emporium and I came close to getting the Sunbeam twins (6910 and 0480). At the last minute the cost seemed a tad extravagant for my espresso needs and I went back to browsing the excellent discussions in this forum.

I work from home and so the kitchen has to serve as the local cafe. For this small local demand a combination of the excellent looking (and performing) Presso and maybe a hand grinder seems to be a good option.
    The question: If this is the primary means by which to make espresso should I go with the hand-crafted approach or would I regret not going for an espresso machine and keeping the Presso idea for backup?

I am also a little concerned that my partner likes her coffee with milk and I cant see that there is any other way to get steamed milk without a steam pipe!

Any thougths much appreciated.

Re: To Presso or not to Presso?

Most here will say to spend up big on a decent grinder and even try the plunger route. A good grinder can later be matched with just about any machine. The Presso would serve you well I am sure.

As to the "steamed milk" there have been discussions about heating milk in the microwave verses steaming and some people think that milk heated in the microwave is just as good, if not better.

You can use google to give you more search results on the coffeesnobs site if youre after more information in regards to what Im talking about! ;)

Weve been heating milk for breakfast in the microwave for....many years.

The first difference I notice compared to gas heating is --- it never boils over and burns. So you dont get a burning smell. Good.

As to texture and suitability for espresso-based drinks, I dont think it is any substitute for the real thing.

Getting microfoam texture with its sweet taste takes skill and equipment up to the task.

--Robusto

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.
    I am currently using a plunger but miss the espresso intensity of flavour. However I dont have fresh ground coffee so that is probably a big part of the problem as has been pointed out here.

Time to get the grinder and then I can think about the espresso question a bit longer.

cheers.

I tried a presso for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a CS gathering. Comparing to a commercial machine, the presso held up well. I was very impressed and surprised to taste the espresso flavour from a hand operated machine. Well worth it... especially for portable espresso. With a hand grinder, youve got espresso in the bush.... Great for camping.

Thanks Sparky.
    I also just reread Andy Freemans post on the Presso as an essential motorbike accessory.
    Definitely makes a great camping coffee maker even if I eventually move on to a machine with temperature control.
    decisions, decisions...

And, IMO, the shot I gave Sparky was a pretty poor representation of what the Presso is really capable of.

If youve gotta have steamed milk, then the Presso is rather obviously insufficient. If youre happy with microwaved milk, you will be hard pressed producing better espresso for the money.

Im not sure I can advocate the hand-grinder as much though...I gave a cheapo model a run for a while and it was a lot louder and more time consuming than Id hoped it was going to be. I use the EM0480 and I find it adequate (though waiting a little longer for an Iberital Challenge would possibly have been a better decision).

Fresh coffee is a definite must. I grind a days worth of coffee at home before I go to work and it still makes me feel a little dirty inside...

Regarding hand grinders Cameron alias "Presso" is trying to source a good hand grinder for espresso.
    He hopes to have some good news in the next month or so.
    Now that will make the Presso/manual grinder an essential part of the CSers camping kit.

Cheers,
    Ken.

PS. Hey Daveze,
    That shot you pulled for Nigel and I later that day was much better though.

Its great to be able to tap into all the experience and ideas on this forum. thanks

Fresh roast plus grinder plus some "Presso-digitation" should produce a pretty good espresso.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJ link=1184997454/0#3 date=1185013358
    Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.
    I am currently using a plunger but miss the espresso intensity of flavour. However I dont have fresh ground coffee so that is probably a big part of the problem as has been pointed out here.

Time to get the grinder and then I can think about the espresso question a bit longer.

cheers.
    Now to find the AF post on the Presso; my son got one for me to take to work as I mostly drink straight shots as milk management is always an issue. We also went away for a couple of days and took it and some ground coffee with us. Not bad if I say so.... Better than plunger, ummmm different may be a better way to explain it. He likes milk, and getting it right in the microwave first and then using the Presso to deliver a shot top gave a great result. Again, different and much better than instant.

PS: Can not find the AF post / review :-(

So, the Presso was ordered last Wednesday, it shipped on Thursday and Australia Post delivered it to my door on Saturday morning.

Couldnt spend the rest of the weekend just staring at the thing and Presso had included a nice bag of freshly roasted beans. The best smelling parcel the family have received in a while.
    So I had to head straight out to another of the site sponsors to buy a grinder.

Spent the weekend playing with grind, water levels and stop watch and starting out on that road that so many of you have described in this forum.

Should be fun

Banned

Why not get a cheap stove-top with steamer as well as the presso. I picked up a stove top with decent steaming capabilities so I could make the I hate coffee half her chai lattes. Was only $30 on evilbay.

Match that with a hand grinder and presso, great!

Re: Aeropress - Thoughts/Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Freeman link=1187691066/0#10 date=1187793282
    Your best bet is get to a CS bean pickup and tee-up for someone to bring both the gizmos so you can try coffee from them.
    Unfortunately for me that isnt going to happen anytime soon *[smiley=sad.gif]

Do you suggest the Presso is a better coffee maker, because the result is closer to Espresso, or for other reasons?

I am curious for a review on the Presso also.

A few Qs for me on the Presso being:

Does it neet to have a shot (or two) of hot water run through it first (Like most machines I figure)?

Is it made from a cast alloy, stainless stuff or ???????

Is the resulting brew like ??????:
    (a) A commercial machine (I wish).
    (b) A domestic machine (Would be nice).
    (c) A stovetop (More likely).
    (d) A plunger (Ill stick with my plungers...).

It looks the goods to me, and I dont mind spending the $240, as long as its worth it.

I am curious for a review on the Presso also.

A few Qs for me on the Presso being:

Does it neet to have a shot (or two) of hot water run through it first (Like most machines I figure)?

(a) A commercial machine (I wish). *
    (b) A domestic machine (Would be nice). *

It looks the goods to me, and I dont mind spending the $240, as long as its worth it.

I confess I dont own a presso [yet] , but have used then a couple of times, *they are a beautifully made piece of kit, stainless steel and I think come with a lifetime warranty.

They need to be warmed up with a couple of blank shots, just like any coffee maker.

The extracted expresso shot tastes as good as any well made commercial or *home espresso. *
    Funny you make that distinction....most CSers would probably produce better shots than most commercial cafes.

I would add, the Presso shots seem to have a cleaner taste & feel in the mouth over traditional espresso machine shots, *others attribute this with the pressure characteristics of lever machines...in any case this is a good thing.

The only minor negative is that they produce & retain minimal crema, compared to a traditional espresso machine but this is really a *visual/textural issue as the flavour is great.

One of my favorite and most memorable shots ever came from a presso.

If you prefer espresso based shots, the presso is the way to go.
    If you prefer longer drinks, the aeropress is probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jugi link=1184997454/0#13 date=1187822468
    Because its so light you can heat it up how you please. I usually sit a couple of shots of boiling water in it and the cup, and if I wasnt lazy, Id also sit the PF in some water too.

Pretty sure its an aluminium alloy of some descript, considering how light and stiff (and brittle) it is.

(a) A commercial machine (I wish).
    (b) A domestic machine (Would be nice).
    Theres also an e) Complete Rot. With the Presso youve got control over every facet of the shot: water temp, pressure, volume, pre-infusion. If youre prepared to dedicate some time to getting used to the device, you can reliably produce really quite fantastic shots.

If you can live without the ability to steam milk, you will be incredibly hard pressed finding better espresso for that price.

Cheers,
    Josh D

[QUOTE=Daveze link=1184997454/15#15 date=1188021599]

If you can live without the ability to steam milk, you will be incredibly hard pressed finding better espresso for that price.

Cheers,
    Josh D
    You can also get a great deal on the PRESSO by just mentioning your CS moniker! :)

American Presso Report

Hope people dont mind me jumping in here but I am looking for feedback from local Presso users and this thread seemed a good place to start. I came across a American user report on the Presso sold there, now discontinued I think. This report raises issues that may or may not apply to the Presso sold here, have also read reports of broken handles on american Pressos which also may not apply to our units.
    So heres the link
    http://users.ameritech.net/jim_schulman/Presso-Report.htm
    Link doesnt work, use copy/paste to address window.
    So can Presso users please have a read and post there thoughts on issues raised.

Yeah...the arms can break but so do most things if you force them too much. I forced mine too much, I learnt my lesson. Australia says no.

I experience almost none of the problems that Jim mentions, Im not real sure what hes doing to end up with the results he mentions but it doesnt sound like hes watched any of the videos on the web on Presso operation. I maintain constant pressure the entire time through the pour, I just stop before all the water is through, so the pressure in the air bubble stays the same, not continue so the shot ends up dilute.

His issues with temperature control are somewhat valid but if youre using a kettle, theres no reason that you cant have it pretty darn close to the right temp with a bit of consistent practise. The biggest issue I have is with the Zippo-type boilers at work, you cant control when it boils, so theres a few timing issues.

Oh, and while were talking about crema. I regularly pull a 30mL ristretto that is entirely light brown, which I know because use a transparent shot glass, so I get to watch the crema form o top. Even after my coffee is nearly 10 hours from being groun, its only the bottom few mLs that have started to settle before the shot is finished.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Daveze, since the demise of the CR I have been looking for a low cost espresso option, so Presso is in the mix but I was put off by Jims article. As you say temp control would not be a issue with a bit of practice, air in the piston was a concern, users here have not raised that concern to my knowledge so maybe Presso is still worth considering. Next issue is we like our cappas so need to add something like a Bellman stove top to steam the milk, that means coordinating grinding, hot water, stovetop, and Presso and it starts to sound a bit of a slog to get a drink.

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1184997454/15#19 date=1188382533
    Thanks for taking the time to reply Daveze, since the demise of the CR I have been looking for a low cost espresso option, so Presso is in the mix but I was put off by Jims article. As you say temp control would not be a issue with a bit of practice, air in the piston was a concern, users here have not raised that concern to my knowledge so maybe Presso is still worth considering.
    Never had any problems with the air in the piston but like I mentioned, I dont think that Jim and I share quite the same technique.

Quote Originally Posted by vicroamer link=1184997454/15#19 date=1188382533
    Next issue is we like our cappas so need to add something like a Bellman stove top to steam the milk, that means coordinating grinding, hot water, stovetop, and Presso and it starts to sound a bit of a slog to get a drink.
    Thats where the Presso starts to lose appeal, the moment you factor in steamed milk the prospect starts to sound a bit like a PITA. I have the significant advantage that milk based drinks dont really tickle my fancy, particularly at home when theres things like thickened cream and ice-cream (and liqueurs) available when coffee on its own doesnt quite cut it.

Once again Daveze thank you for your time. :)

I posted this reply on Home-barista.com as part of a hand grinder thread, see http://www.home-barista.com/forums/h...say-t4482.html

My hand grinder search was driven more by size constraints than anything else, as I was after a grinder to take with me on extended motorcycle tours.

As the Presso machine was bulky to start with I had to compensate with a small grinder.

I eventually decided on a Turkish hand grinder, the HON, partly for its size, but also as if it could do Turkish grind, it should be able to do espresso :?:

A conical burr set

I suppose that this could be called a stepless control :P

The complete grinder

Presso and grinder ready to fill basket

Presso basket with freshly ground coffee

Tamped basket, the PF holder is in the kettle warming up, a usefull trick wit a presso.

Pulled shot, as the Presso is a two handed machine I dont have any shots of the shot being pulled

Finished product

The tools

Wow Andy Gadget

You empty the whole reservoir into your cup. I only take the first 20 ml and chuck the rest out. As you probably know the last pale part of the shot is the said to be the bitter bit (more caffeine though) . To make a long black, shoot a short black and add hot water

Jason

Sweet setup there Andy.

Im with Beanhead, the first 20-30mL are where its at. I also dose a fair bit more than that.

Re: To Presso or not to Presso?  - Update

PRESSO UPDATE

There havent been many replies added for the Presso lately. As it is such a new and unusual thing I thought some people may want to share any recent findings re Cracking the Presso Code.

Very recently I reckon I have been able to get as good lattes ( I drink coffee with milk) as Campos in Newtown using my Presso/ Hand grinder.

I have made some mods to my hand grinder using ball bearing race and a brass bush so now it is locked tight and grinds fine enough for the Presso.

Using fresh roasted and gassed coffee ( of course) I get a decent head of crema on my shots. The recently discovered key to perfecting the shots has been to use a stop watch. I pull the shot for exactly 20 seconds after the liquid starts to come through. If I pull for any longer then I get a noticeable iodine taste in the coffee.

This means that if you grind finer than necessary you end up with more liquid in the glass which is effectively a "ristretto" . If my 20 seconds is about up and not enough liquid is in the glass then I have found that a final burst of pressure at the end of the pull seems to increase the crema significantly.

I use the "Ben method " with the Presso, ie filling the water reservoir to the top prior to pulling the shot which increases the pressure and control. THis method requires a final pull or two into a second glass to bleed the machine to get the dry puck. This shot is pretty lousy - about as good as bad plunger coffee; voluminous, bitter and pale.

I use the plastic reducer (completely filled to the top with coffee) as I get a better result than filling the whole basket. I think this is due to my grind not being quite fine enough to generate the required pressure on the double basket . A word of warning to all users; if you use this reducer you must make sure the PF is on fully and tight (handle in 6 Oclock position) or else there is risk of damaging the thread holding the PF in place - Kaboom! A st steel one shot basket for the Presso would be great to have if it were available.

I am not sure how long other CSers take to prepare a latte using a machine but it takes me 8 minutes from switching the hot water jug on if I am organised. Probably an extra 2 minutes for the clean up.

Cheerio

To add to the above post the amount of Crema really does depend alot on what coffee I am using. A well roasted PNG fairtrade (gassed for 3 days) gives me a real Guinness effect with the Presso, ie one third crema to two thirds the shot. Amazing that I can get such a good shot from a hand grinder - who said you need a top end grinder to get that.

Still interested in finding out how long other CSers take to make a latte....

Unfortunately my Presso didnt come with the milk frother so I cant answer that; but your espresso times sound about right.

By the way, dont forget http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163933751/3#3 if you havent seen already. Should make a difference in getting the pressure up, which is one of the problems I found with my Presso initially. With only a week and a bit to run, it would be a shame if Presso owners didnt even know it was on!

Greg

bummer.....
    my presso is no more..!!!! * :( * :(

edit: i guess i should qualify this post a little more, as the earlier addition was posted in a rush from my phone at work, straight after the break *::)

This post wasnt intended to scare off any prospective purchasers, in fact quite the opposite. Twas more pointing out how upset i was at the loss of my prescious work horse (pun intended).

Cameron was great with the initial purchase and service. Accordingly he was straight off the mark requesting my postal address for replacement arms.

sweet.
    Ill have to put up with buying a campos coffee till they arrive..!

Cheers
    KoNG

Wow!

That is impressive Kong.

You can have a new set of arms posted to your door under warranty you know.

Call me if you need grind/tamp/pressure advice.

Regards,
    Cameron

Ouch, been there, done that. Actually I did worse, both arms quit at the same time...

Id take Cameron up on the warranty parts, its not that tough to fix.

Ok, after lurking these forums for some months, I think Im ready to take the plunge (well presso, actually), just like to confirm that the baskets are non-pressurised, and they are 50mm?

After doing exhaustive research, this seems like the cheapest way to have quality espressos.

Do I order through presso australia or is there a special link for coffee snobs? (free steak knives?)

Id click on the sponsor link then send Coffee Prince (Cameron) a PM.
    That way hell know youre a Snob.

Thanks TG,

Yup the PRESSO is a non pressurised basket touting little gem of ae unit.

Drop into the showroom for a look if you are in the area. Im always happy to toss in a few beans for you to fine tune your technique!

Regards,
    Cameron

I put the order through today, its a Birthday present from my partner, Im so excited I think Im going to pee my pants.

Thanks for you help and speedy response Cameron.

No worries!

We are roasting in the morning, Ill pop in some of our award winning 100% Australian Bean for you to to test your skills.

Id love your feedback, we are warming up to the "big one": The Royal Sydney Show. Identity has helped me with the fine tuning of my 100% Australian offering, Id appreciate any help you can give!

Regards,
    Cameron

The Presso arrived today and just had my first shot, it was very nice, although I think I will need to grind a bit finer. Im a bit worried of just how hard I can push on the arms without breaking them.

One thing I did notice is that with the arms down and the cup filled with water, the water starts running out on the up stroke of the arms. Am I doing something wrong?

Wow Aust Post delivers!

Hi Krane,

Try grinding for espresso. The water should not fall through the grounds before you apply pressure.

Have you checked the videos on our site?

Regards,

Cameron

I love the look of the Presso and the concept behind it. Fantastic industrial design!

Has the product has been officially discontinued? I have read some reports of its demise in the US at least.

Also, I found this review of someone in the US who had some thoughts on the lack of pressure affecting the shots (and how he modded it to get better results). Has anyone found this to be true for them?

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/pressomanual/another_jim

(see the link in the review to his mod).

The long and short from the review is this:

But the shot, oy! Way too Guiness -- 100% perfectly white foam (not crema) that vanishes in three seconds flat. The culprit is the piston design. When all the way down, theres 2.5 ounces of airspace between it and the shower screen. The shot proceeds by pressing the levers all the way with gently rising counter-pressure as one compresses the air. Then a short wait. Then Pffffffft as the white stuff shoots out under the rapidly decreasing air pressure.

Grind for espresso? You dont say. ;P

I know it just the learning curve, so Ill presso on.

I have see both the videos on your site, the old one and the new one from you tube (much better than the first imo)

Do you all use the double or the insert for the single?

Quote Originally Posted by Krane link=1184997454/30#39 date=1201140640

Do you all use the double or the insert for the single?
    I threw the plastic insert away, my youth was spent in the inner west of Sydney, overdosing has become a way of life. If your basket doesnt have 12 grams of grounds in it: keep clicking until it does.

Regards,
    Cameron

I think my plastic insert was broken during a game of office football, IIRC it was being used as a tee at the time...

Im back to having some drama with technique. Ive noticed a lot of premature blonding and a marked difference in the wetness profile of the puck: very wet around the outside and top but only dampish in the middle at the bottom. Must focus on distribution and tamping technique again...

I must be grinding too fine still, because when I dose a full basket I cannot generate enough force to get the water through the coffee. Am I really aiming for such a fine espresso grind and not something closer to a press pot?

Quote Originally Posted by Krane link=1184997454/30#42 date=1201582458
    I must be grinding too fine still, because when I dose a full basket I cannot generate enough force to get the water through the coffee. Am I really aiming for such a fine espresso grind and not something closer to a press pot?
    Sounds like its too finely ground. You probably need to keep adjusting your grind in steps until you get the right one (yes, you will burn through beans but you gotta do it to get it right).

I tend to find that youre aiming for the coarser side of an espresso grind (an espresso grind setting is really a range, IMO).

Is the water coming down the sides after overflowing from the top? If so, either fill the top cup up less (I usually leave ~1-1.5cm) or take a little more time lifting the arms. If you lift too quickly, the restrictions of the holes can sometimes be enough that you cant flow water to the bottom as quickly as you lift the arms, causing it to overflow.

One thing with the grind and the ability to force water through: make sure your action is as smooth as possible, if you stutter the pull (apply, release, then reapply pressure) it becomes virtually impossible to pull the shot...

Cameron: does Presso ever intend to bring out a revised design or are they happy sticking to the one they have? Im just a bit curious because Id jump all over a Presso mkII with group head/handles more like what you see on normal espresso machines (commercial sized basket, better locking mechanism, attend to the air pockets and water flow in the piston)...or maybe its just the engineer in me trying to redesign an already great design.

Sounds like you should submit your design to Patrick at PRESSO UK!

I heard a whisper that there was an all PLEXIGLASS model in pre pre production, perfect for backpacking/cycling. The mock up I saw looked positively space age.

In recent correspondence with Patrick I got the feeling the design would stay as it is for the duration, Ill be the first to know...as they say. Ill keep you posted.

Thanks for the hints guys, Im now grinding more coarsely and getting the coffee through with out bursting a poofoo valve (mine, not the pressos).

I hope Patrick does take on board the suggestions (and mods) floating around the web to fill the space between bottom of piston and pf.

A_M

Have had mine for almost a year now and while not used all that often, it has been great for short trips away from home.

Just spent a week away helping a mate. Took the Presso, KG100 and 1 kg of beans... Damn, lasted 4 days before having to go to instant, as I had run out of beans... Full shots for each coffee....

Biggest trick was warming the PF first in a large cup of hot water, and then running some hat water through the system first... (Small beach house that was very cold.. Thus the Presso felt like ice).

Second trick which I never mastered was getting the milk right in the microwave... Keypad stuffed, thus timings were all stuffed up.

However, at the end of the day the shots were great, the coffee was better than the instant or what we got from teh coffee shop down the road..

Minor issues:

A: Basket does not lock / clip into the PF
    B: Need a proper tamp to suit

My mates benches are polished timber and he was concerned that when tamping it might look like we had a lady in stilettos dancing on the bench.. His wife would not have been impressed or for that matter believe us...

Trick of teh day: Use a cork rubbing block that you might get from a paint shop, drill a hole to suit teh single spout and then counter sink the hold slightly. ( Had all this as we were repairing teh front deck and garage)

This then make the perfect tamping block...

Heres an Alessi juicer to sit next to your Presso for morning sustenance. Doesnt look good for the timber bench either ;) A guy at work said the Presso reminded him of this, in his memory as "alien kitchen torture devices".

I grind into a small tapered glass, size a bit bigger than would serve a short macchiato. (less grind bouncing/flying out onto bench).
    The basket caps this glass, so I can flip them held together so glass caps the basket.
    Tap the basket on the bench to fill the basket neatly, remove the glass.
    Then I can tamp the basket on the bench.
    Another benefit here:
    Preheat the portafilter with the steam from the kettle spout.
    Basket clicks into warm PF, tamp any loose bits at edge that sprung up from the click.

Yawn.
    Still opening old threads, eh? Just to dis on a maker?
    Yawn.

Greg