Thread: Inside a Saeco Chic - brass!

Inside a Saeco Chic - brass!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi guys,
    I recently bought a Saeco chic machine for interests sake more than anything. Since I took a very short road up to the commercial Carimali Uno machine Im using at the moment, I felt like playing with some lower end equipment again ( I regret selling my Krups Vivo :( ). And looking at them from a perspective of greater experience.

Initial impressions: Non-pressurized portafilter! And not a cheap aluminium filter holder either, solid chromed brass!

Upon first popping the hood I was pleasantly greeted with a familiar yet unexpected golden glow...

Yes, this machine has a brass boiler! I was actually quite taken by this, I thought all Saecos had stainless boilers. I tested the capacity of the boiler today and it was around 250mL. Obviously in operation it wont be filled to the max. level but this is still impressive for such a small machine. The pump is a standard ULKA, 52W if I recall correctly.

One thing that bugged me was the shape of the group, as you can see in the image below it is concave and fitted with a gasket for brewing pods. I pulled the boiler out to see if this was in any way removable, but sadly it seems to be permanently affixed to the lower half the boiler :(

Still, after reassembling the machine I managed to pull a somewhat decent shot (was my pressure test) which I stopped just after 23sec. I cycled the boiler prior to pulling without much of a wait so it was a little burnt, but overall not a bad shot.
    You dont really get the same tastes coming out of a machine like this (compared with semi/fully commercial machines) but what you can get by all means can be good! (If only Id taken a photo of the crema).

Other points worth noting: the steam power, you can really get pretty decent microfoam with this thing! And I cant ignore the PF sneeze, even after leaving the handle in to steam I got one! These things are messy wee buggers.

Anyways, thats all :D Hopefully someone will get something out of this :)

Re: Inside a Saeco Chic - brass!

looks remarkably similar to silvias insides that boiler on a quick glance!

Probably a generic unit used by several manufacturers Id say Sullo.... Looks to be a very close fit or maybe a bit smaller for the boilers found in Imat Mokita/Quaha Junior/Fenice style of machine....

Mal.

Andy,

Could you tell me the size of the portafilter?
    Second question:
    Has it got a shower screen?
    (I cant find anything about this little Saeco machine on the web except for a few pictures.
    If I suspect right, this isnt a genuine Saeco model, but a NZ. only rebadge)

Regards,
    SiD

Hi AndyNZ,

The internals and their layout look almost identical to a "Spidem Cappuccino Express" I bought for cheap a couple of years ago. The steam power was pretty damn good from what I can remember. It was a really solid (and heavy) little unit too!

Ive seen it somewhere else on CS, possibly CG, badged as yet another brand.

-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by SiD- link=1189832241/0#3 date=1191267510
    Andy,

Could you tell me the size of the portafilter?
    Second question:
    Has it got a shower screen?
    (I cant find anything about this little Saeco machine on the web except for a few pictures.
    If I suspect right, this isnt a genuine Saeco model, but a NZ. only rebadge)

Regards,
    SiD
    PF is the stardard size for a Saeco, basket measures 60mm from outer edge to outer edge, about 53mm between the inner edges. I did some research and did find a couple of references to brass boilers for old Saeco machines. I think that the name Chic may be an NZ only thing, but Im quite positive this Saeco machine did appear under different aliases overseas.

The machine of course does have a shower screen, it fits in over the darker area around the boiler outlet valve which can be seen in the photo showing the bottom of the boiler.

Thanks also for your input Paul, it does seem that Spidem and Saeco sell the same machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal link=1189832241/0#2 date=1189868996
    Probably a generic unit used by several manufacturers Id say Sullo.... Looks to be a very close fit or maybe a bit smaller for the boilers found in Imat Mokita/Quaha Junior/Fenice style of machine....

Mal.
    Its smaller that the Quaha boiler by the looks of it. And certainly the group side is a different design.

Still looks like quite a reasonable little machine though dsgfh....

Mal.