Thread: Sunbean Cafe Crema - non-pressurised baskets?

Sunbean Cafe Crema - non-pressurised baskets?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive been searching coffee snobs in an attempt to find an online stockist of a real filter basket for my sunbeam cafe crema. So far Ive had no luck. Can anyone tell me where I can get a two cup basket?

It needs to be online because I cant get to a service center.

Thanks in advance

Charlotte.

Re: Sunbean Cafe Crema - non-pressurised baskets?

Hey Charlotte, I have a similar Sunbeam machine and was also searching for a non-pressurised basket - until I upgraded instead!

About the only way to source these seems to be from Krupps repair agents - I contacted Krupps and was sent a spreadsheet of their repair agents - PM me with an email address if youd like me to send it to you as I dont think I can attach a file to a forum post...

I think Ive seen a couple of people quote part numbers on this site for the baskets, and that theyve successfully ordered them over the phone (paying with credit card presumably).

Good luck!

This should help - quote from here: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1128380756/24

Quote Originally Posted by Mearesy link=1128380756/15#17 date=1128422651
    Hi Matt
    No mate, I have the "Cafe Crema" (lucky me, hey? :-?) What I did was call the National number for Krups - (61) 2 97 48 79 44. I then asked them where my nearest service centre for krups is, and they gave me contact details for them. I live in Toowoomba, SE QLD and so my nearest service centre was on the gold coast.

So.. gave them a call and asked if I could order part #0907163 which is the double filter basket. I also asked if they were able to source the single filter basket as well, and they were able to find out what part number that was and ordered me both. Sorry, but Im not sure what the part number is for the single. A week or so later, they arrived in the mail and a grin came over my face as I poured my first wonderfuly improved non-pressurised shot :D

Hope that helps! All credit goes to mattyj on this one, he told me everything I have written here, so thanks matty! Certianly worth the effort in tracking one down though, I cannot stress enough the difference it made to my shots!

Ben

Thanks so much! Ill get onto that today :D

:D I ordered the basket from the krups number above - it will take 3 - 4 weeks because they are out of stock! It was a rip off ($10.95 for the basket, $8.95 postage!!!), but i guess its TOTALLY worth it!

Hi Charlotte

Id only recommend the double basket! *The complexity & crema in the double shots are far superior to the single. 8-)

Regards
    Andrew

Yep, all I ordered was the 0907163 which I HOPE was the double basket! On the phone, the customer service operator asked why I wanted a Krups basket for a sunbeam machine :P

Good luck Charlotte, let us know how it goes!

Im thinking of ordering a krupps basket for my old Sunbeam - the coffee at work is undrinkable! They have a commercial machine and grinder but always run about 200ml of water through the coffee! :o

Ill let you know how it goes. Hopefully the basket gets here sooner rather than later...although Im still working on getting a grinder so I need that too!

How did you go with this basket? Im looking at doing the same thing and want to know if I need to modify the group head in any way to make it work?

Thanks guys for all these posts, the information has proved invaluable. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 6A767B737F6C687B722C2E2E2A1E0 link=1193121341/9#9 date=1203306726
    How did you go with this basket? Im looking at doing the same thing and want to know if I need to modify the group head in any way to make it work?
    no you dont have to modify the group head. the basket that you order should fit your portafilter.
    the only thing is that youll need a decent grinder and fresh beans to be able to get good coffee with the new baskets

Hey I have the same machine and considering purchasing a non pressurised basket. Does anyone knopw how much they are? Also how did it go with the basket?? Is it any good?? And where did you get it from?
    thanks

Rbn

Time for me to ask too!!!

I am wanting to try a non-pressurised basket in my machine.

Heres hoping the OP still looks on here.

/R

I got the Krups double basket from the local spare parts emporium (luckily not far from me so no postage! - I just looked in the yellow pages and rang around till I found somewhere that stocked them). $12 or so I think. It works really well with the Sunbeam, much better than the original baskets. I did modify the spring in the group head (just bent it a little with a pair of pliers) so it gripped the basket a little tighter as the krups one is not such a tight fit as the original.

Rbn

Mmmm - well I am not sure where I would find one here. But, I had a spare Sunbeam basket, so I cut the bottom off. Never changed anything else, same grind, same tamp, maybe a little firmer. The shot came out faster, but the crema was weak. Tried an even harder tamp, no difference, same shot. Tried coarser grind, of course that was worse, no crema at all.

Next subject
    I also have the issue some others mention, more espresso coming out of one spout than the other, tried removing the plastic lining as mentioned by another post. That was worse, espresso going all over the place.

So back to original basket and the plastic liner!!

All this experimenting is being done on a 1 shot basket.

I have only ever used a 1 shot basket since I got the machine over 12 months ago

/R

This is with new roasted beans bought yesterday.

DONT USE

hi rawill
    removing the plastic insert in the 4800 wont help, this is because of the design of the handle, the other post was probably refering to the em6910

you will find that you will get a better tasting coffee using the two cup filter with more coffee ,the singlr filter only holds about 6 grams of coffee, most single commercial filters hold 9 grams

it is common for the coffee in these machines to come more out of one spout than the other,
    make sure the machine is level,
    and that the plastic insert doesnt have any roughness on the spouts
    graham

Rbn

Many thanks for such a fast response.

I use the single as we do not like the coffee too strong. Her indoors only wants a half shot of a single basket!! :)

Overall I am happy with the machine, even if it is not one the best around!!

And yes you could well be right about he model being different. I have read so much stuff on here since joining a few days ago.

/Robin

I have a Sunbeam Picolo EM2800, ( christmas present) and have been reading these pages. I am confused as to what is a
    " pressurised basket). Does my machine have them? Are they any good, I have not had any problems, so far. I read that one person cut the bottom off of theirs.* What part was cut off? Is that a good idea? Please excuse my ignorance, I am as green as unroasted beans in these matters. :-/

Thanking you in anticipation,

8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 567D7C767E7A242726150 link=1193121341/18#18 date=1328478122
    I have a Sunbeam Picolo EM2800, ( christmas present) and have been reading these pages. I am confused as to what is a
    " pressurised basket). Does my machine have them? Are they any good, I have not had any problems, so far. I read that one person cut the bottom off of theirs.* What part was cut off? Is that a good idea? Please excuse my ignorance, I am as green as unroasted beans in these matters. :-/

Thanking you in anticipation,

8-)
    Hi SuperSport--and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

If your basket has lots of holes on the inside and only one on the outside, it is pressurised. This is to make working with poor grinds easier and gives OK coffee only, no matter what beans & grinder you have.

Cutting off the outside makes good coffee possible *with* good beans and grinder, but impossible without.

See the modification thread in the "Pay it Forward" section for more info. A search of the site will give even more.

Greg

Does anyone know of any retail stores in Sydney I can buy this basket from? I want the double basket for my Sunbeam Cafe Crema. Been having problem with water spitting out with the pressured basket and inconsistent shots. I use fresh beans and would like the real experience with the krups basket.

I bought a Krups double basket for my sunbeam from one of the sponsors - Things Coffee. Works a treat, no adjustments necessary, pulled the original out, popped in the Krups and was on my way.

Here's the direct link

Can someone please confirm whether these work on a Sunbeam 5600?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo141 View Post
    Can someone please confirm whether these work on a Sunbeam 5600?
    If it measures 51mm then it will work