Thread: Newbe with sunbeam em5600

Newbe with sunbeam em5600

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,
    I have just found your informative site -well done!

I recently purchased a sunbeam em5600 based on a "Choice" reveiw *:-[, it made poor quality coffee, so I decided to do some research (which leeds me here). *To fix the problem I did the following:
    Modified the filter baskets by hacking off the second skin
    Got a grinder- the lberital challange
    Use fresh beans (although I am still trying to find the right blend)

My coffee tastes much better now- even though I dont always get conistent results.

The main problem is that I cant get the 30 mL in 30 sec. pour despite altering grind size and tamping as hard as I can. To get anthing close to 30 mL in 30 sec. the coffee drips out and the resulting shot is bitter and only luke warm

Can anyone help ?!? *Is it absolutly necessary to stick with this rule, or is there another way of telling when a shot is properly extracted?

Cheers

Re: Newbe with sunbeam em5600

Gday spoonman,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs [smiley=thumbsup.gif]....

Well mate, Id do away with the "handstand" tamp for a start, no need to tamp that hard.... 12-15Kg is plenty. The secret to getting the ideal pour is mainly centred around grind size, dose and distribution; and if you can manage your tamping force to be consistent within the range above, all will be well.

Dose and distribution is the hardest of all of them to learn and apply consistently so thats the best place to start. Basically, I wouldnt bother trying to use the Single Basket its much harder to Dial-In so would just stick with the Double for now. Try and find the ideal height to dose the basket by dosing, tamping and lightly locking in the PF into a "Dry" Group. Keep going until you arrive at a dose that realises a light impression of the Shower-Screen/Nut/Screw-head on top of the puck and then just back off a little from that.

Next, start pulling shots for real while keeping everything the same and only adjust the Grind Setting until such time as you achieve consistent pours of the right volume within the 25-30 second time bracket. Dont get too hung up on the exact time as the most important thing to watch out for is "Blonding" of the shot as this is when the very bitter elements of the brew start to extract. The idea is then, to stop the shot either just before Blonding is about to start or at the very first signs of it. The whole process then comes down to practice, practice and more practice until such time as all the elements of pouring great espresso becomes second nature to you.

All the best and Happy Brewing :),
    Mal.

thanks for the advice Mal, Ill give it a go.
    It seems that I havent been puting enough coffee into the basket & tamping too hard. the coffee, once tamped sits about 3 -4 mm below the rim of the basket -so no chance of the light shower screen impression.

The EMs respond well to a bit of overdosing

slight overdosing is working well- getteing more consistent results now
    Thanks of the help ;)

On to problem 2 :D

espresso is still not coming out hot about 35 c in the cup, even after the machine being switched on for over an hour with pf in place. Is this normal/ acceptable or is there a problem with my machine?"

There will be a big drop in temp from the water that passes through the grounds to the cup....but dont know if its that big! Have a look at the Pullman comparo on this site between this machine and the Silvia because from memory he tested the temp, but using a thermocouple at the PF which is a much better indicator than espresso in the cup temp.

Cheers

PS. In both my EM and my Faema commercial machine the short black is never so hot even in well pre-heated cups that it cannot be quaffed down...if thats any help.

Hmm... Do you warm the cups and the pf. That might be the cause of a slight drop in temp, but not that much!

Quote Originally Posted by spoonman link=1193988657/0#4 date=1194335650
    slight overdosing is working well- getteing more consistent results now
    Thanks of the help ;)
    Great to hear spoonman :).....

Quote Originally Posted by spoonman link=1193988657/0#4 date=1194335650
    On to problem 2 :D

espresso is still not coming out hot about 35 c in the cup, even after the machine being switched on for over an hour with pf in place. Is this normal/ acceptable or is there a problem with my machine?"
    What are you using and how are you measuring this temperature mate? Could be that your instrument or method isnt quite right??? :-?

Mal.

sorry mate - it was the EM6910 that was the subject of the comparison not your machine...teach me to read posts properly.

Hi all,

I do preheat the pf and cup. *To measure the temp I used my milk thermometer, I know this is not the most accurate method but it should give a ball-park indication.

Just tested my afternoon coffee it was almost 50 c. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I was a bit more patient this time and the coffee was in my new double walled cup.

is this close to what I should expect? It didnt feel too cool this time

On the subject of coffee temperature, if a bit of time elapses while Im working on a second cup, & frothing milk etc., I have tried putting the first cup in the microwave & giving it a very short, very low warming hit. Is this OK? *Obviously Im being careful not to cook it. *Seems to work well. *

If it tastes ok Alley, go for it.... :)

Mal.

try boiled water from the kettle to heat your porcelain. using water flow from your machine may not give the water enough time to reheat.

hans ;)

Just as an aside, I discovered that pretty well any porcelain/ceramic cup can be heated in the microwave with a short burst (10 seconds) and is then nice and hot ready for use. Probably due to residual moisture being retained/trapped within the pore structure of the ceramic...

Mal.

there you go, thinking outside the square. must give it a try. thanks.

Hans

:)

Id recommend extreme care when microwaving ceramics! The water distribution is likely to be very uneven, which can lead to hotspots, cracking and earth-shattering kabooms!