Thread: Saeco Via Venezia

Saeco Via Venezia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all CS,
    may as well make my 1st post a request... *::)...
    here in Brisbane i have found a new VV for $300, worth it? or am i better off getting the Sunbeam 5600 or another? *please bear in mind that $300 represents my limit.
    i know many of you will tell me to get a good grinder 1st and use it in my vac and stovetop but i do want a machine now to spread the coffee love... *For now i am using pre-ground and/or blade ground beans.
    also, i have an upgrade plan: *get VV (or other basic) now, in 1yr get a decent grinder (La Spaziale Junior or Iberital - based on my limited reading of this forum), then in 2yrs consign the VV to back-up status (or to the holiday hut if that plan works out) and get me Miss Silvia or better.
    would love to hear your opinion on the $300 VV

cheers, and thanks for the breadth of info i have already found on this site

Re: Saeco Via Venezia

Gday Hario,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs...... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

From what Ive read, as I have no personal experience with the Saeco VV, it is a reasonably capable little machine and better than most machines manufactured by the appliance brigade. Heres a link to a local review service and if you do a Google search through the CS website youll probably be able to turn up quite a bit of info here too. All the best,

Mal.

Hi Mal,
    thanks for the reply.
    i did a quick search of CS and came up with relatively little on the VV when compared with some of the other cheapies such as the Sunbeam and the Breville. Saeco does seem to get a bit of a roasting ::) on this site while the Breville and Sunbeam seem to be accepted for what they are.
    i am a bit worried that Saeco are trading purely on their name and that this RRP $499 VV machine is not even worth the $300 i can get it for.
    cheers

If you can get it for $300 than go for it. The VV is a pretty good machine as an entry level.

Make sure you get a good grinder to get the best out of it.

Hi Hario I started with a Via Venezia and supermarket coffee, then I bought a Sunbeam grinder and specialty coffee, that was a major leap in taste and quality. Several people with the VV have converted the pressurised portafilter and used a tamper and achieved good results.
    $300 is a good price for VV and it should get you into the wonderful world of espresso....but be warned this is a very addictive interest and CSers lead you astray wanting to buy all this exotic equipment.
    I not have a Silvia, Rocky, Corretto roaster and all the peripherals that go with home espresso and Im loving every minute of the journey.
    To sum up if $300 is your budget VV will do a good job for you.....good luck with your decision.
    I got a Sunbeam E450 for $130 and it does a pretty good grind!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hario link=1194403542/0#2 date=1194414096
    Hi Mal,
    thanks for the reply.
    i did a quick search of CS and came up with relatively little on the VV when compared with some of the other cheapies such as the Sunbeam and the Breville.
    Did a quick Google search and came up with a few more.... ;)

Mal.

My first machine was a Via Venezia, which I used for 5-6 years. IMO its a good entry level machine. It has a stainless-steel boiler, and can produce good microfoam (if you remove the outer part of the steam nozzle). The pressurised portafilter can produce a reasonable result with pre-ground beans. Obviously a non-pressurised portafilter and freshly ground beans with a decent grinder will produce better results, but if you have to use pre-ground Id stay with the original pressurised portafilter. The boiler is fairly small, but can still produce enough textured milk for 2 drinks, any more and it runs out of steam.

Oh, and get a decent 53mm tamper for it.

Bill

Yep, I agree.. for the money, the VV for $300 is a decent buy - I wouldnt mind having one in my office. A had a co worker bring in a Saeco Magic Combi (biult in grinder) to give him some lessons and I was quite surprised by the quality of the coffee considering the Pressurised PF - Although I did supply reasonably fresh beans for him. If youre wanting mainly milk drinks, youll do well. And invest in a Sunbeam EM0450 grinder and for $430 youll have a decent setup.