Thread: Nemox Fenice: American version different?

Nemox Fenice: American version different?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello and greetings from afar. I have recently acquired a Nemox Fenice. I have been told that is was manufactured with a 3-way valve. On this site, and Mr. Frews, it has been stated that there is none. Not only on other sites that are simply resellers of the product, but also the http://www.nemox.com/uk/production/fenice.htmlactual Nemox site states that it does indeed have one. I have a suspicion that perhaps the 120v version has been made with a 3-way and the 220v is not. Yes, this is perhaps a pipe dream, but perhaps a viable postulation over the differences of advertising. This is why I have purchased this over a Gaggia with a 3-way well known. Plus an awesome deal, naturally. Alas, of course, the Nemox website is UK which is 220v. hmm.... unfortunately, any info that I find, even on American sites about is issue is answered by Aussies. So I ask the Aussies. I would never believe that the seller would ever mislead me, but may have made a mistake...but the actual manufacturers site itself backs him up.
    Many thanks in advance.

Re: Nemox Fenice: American version different?

Hi CAD and welcome!

The easiest way to tell if your machine has a 3-way valve or not is: next time you make a coffee, empty the drip tray first and take the cover off, and watch to see if any water spurts into the drip tray when you turn off the brew switch. There should also be a hose coming into the drip tray but its location and visibility depends on the machine.

Greg

Hello crt... and welcome.

Im not up on cross-continental differences in specs on these (or any) machines, but...

I have a close relative of your Fenice - a Lelit Combi (see Alans site). You should be able to see if you have a 3-way valve.
    See the photo below, Im pointing to the valve outlet which empties into the drip tray.

Lock your handle (with basket) into the group, press the brew switch for about 6-7 secs to get some pressure built up, then turn off. If you have a valve you will hear it hiss and "spit" the build up into the tray (hopefully its there for you). If not you will feel the pressure burst from the group handle if you unlock it straight away.

Good little unit, these. Make a good brew. I understand they are suited to PIDing as well.

Good luck and enjoy.

Greg.

Gregs! ;D

Thank you so much for the information because it was very helpful! I hadnt told you about one fact: I have promised my wife that I wouldnt use it until Christmas, and so the real-life trial has to wait!

Because of http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163234999/11#11This post by G:05</a>, that I only found today, I had some hope given to me at work. When I got home I managed to snap the shot below, though. So without actually adding any water to the machine, I believe that you have helped me determine the answer (which is yes)!

So again, G2, Greg and Greg, thank you for making my mind at ease....

Of course looking at that other thread made me sad I couldnt afford a Brewtus...but covet not, I say, and with your info I have gathered that the Fenice is a very fine machine for a virtual espresso virgin as myself! Now I get the joy of homeroasting, blending, and experiencing espresso Crema! ... and a dry puck.

http://picasaweb.google.com/olph4rt/...19680226764386

Perfect, yours definitely has the 3-way valve (unless they stick the hose there for looks!). Thats exactly the spot it came in in my old Napoletana.

Great news crt...

And you got the Lux grinder as well. Looks like youre ready to roll (got a good source of FRESH beans?).

But... thats some promise you made. You sure its binding? Surely theres something about voiding your warranty if you dont use it straight away and often? And, if youve got people coming over for Christmas, youll have to practice up for a week or 2 so you can serve them up GREAT coffee? :-/ (Im sure you can think of something.)

Enjoy.

PS. Did the cat come with the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by GregJW link=1197493080/0#5 date=1197602066
    Got a good source of FRESH beans?

--> I started buying from http://picasaweb.google.com/olph4rt/...47087659231890 a non-profit/fair trade *beanery and still deal with them, they are very helpful because I can go there every couple of months in person and stand there in awe with my jaw dropped and drool pooling around me. *I have also recently bought from a CG moderator some Brazil Cerrado http://andrewsgreenbeans.com/ who I can also drive an hour to see. *I think its worth it to drive some distance to see the folks in person and get the real feel/spirit of the seller...it makes me appreciate the hobby wee bit more, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by GregJW link=1197493080/0#5 date=1197602066
    But... thats some promise you made. You sure its binding? Surely theres something about voiding your warranty if you dont use it straight away and often? And, if youve got people coming over for Christmas, youll have to practice up for a week or 2 so you can serve them up GREAT coffee? * :-/ (Im sure you can think of something.) *
    --> Haha! *Holy cow will the machine seem like twenty pounds of diamonds when I first turn it on! *Our deal is: *If I use it before Christmas then she gets the Ipod I got her...and I dont want HER to get her present either. *I can always use the presspot while learning...NAW! *I am sure that I will have fun getting all the [s]victims[/s] relatives filled with noob-lattes and espressos!

Btw my sister just got her very first machine too, and hasnt made more than a choco latte...she got a Breville 800 something...she lives in NSW...I will try to get her aboard your great board and get some local advice from you fine gents and gentesses!

Thank you!

We can conclude that the Nemox Fenice version, whether 120v American or 220v Aussie/Euro version, has nothing to do with it having a 3-way valve or not. As Greg Pullman pointed out, its the VERSION that is important. The old ones dont, the new ones do.