Thread: Breville Ikon - alternative to the krups basket

Breville Ikon - alternative to the krups basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Thought some of you might be interested in an alternative to the Krups basket replacement. My sister bought an Ikon recently and after a lot of ringing trying to track down the Krups baskets here in Melbourne I remembered I had seen an old Breville boiler machine in a cupboard at work.

Wouldnt you know it, the double basket is a perfect fit!! Nice and snug and doesnt fall out in the bang bang either. It came from a Breville Bar Italia. The one I had was at least 5 years old but I saw a new one in Good Guys and the basket looked just the same. Figure it might be easier to track down a Breville basket than a Krups.

It is the double basket (the Bar Italia comes with a quad basket as well) the full 14g for a double, leveled. Has made a big difference to the shots, not quite as creamy and thick as I get from my Gaggias but not too bad.

Here are some pix

Cheers
    Derek

Re: Breville Ikon - alternative to the krups baske

Nice work Sherlock - so is the Breville double a pressurised or a non-pressurised basket?

nBC

Now all we need is a comparison between the krups and breville unpressurised baskets.
    Dont suppose you have a part number?

dave

What kind of comparison?

Hmmm,

My son owned one of these units I believe and Im quite certain it used pressurised baskets intended for use with stale supermarket coffee :P, not the stuff we like to drink ;),

Mal.

It looks a lot like the Krups double basket, especially the outside shape.

Hi,

It is a single walled basket, all the perforations go straight through. The still sell what looks like this model (with a facelift) at GoodGuys, I am guessing that Breville run a standard diameter basket for most of their low end machines.

You can always just take your portafilter into Goodguys and try it out. Not sure who does spares for Breville though.

Cheers
    Derek

nBC

Posted by: Thundergod Posted on: Yesterday at 23:12
    What kind of comparison? *
    crema vs crema etc, etc

I saw this in BigW today so I checked out the baskets. Looked single wall to me.

The Ikon baskets are a bit dodgy. Is there any reason why you wouldnt buy the Krups ones, is it just if you had the others laying around? In the New Year I might look at ordering some Krupps, but for the moment (aside from the cleaning) I am happy with the Ikon baskets. They are a real bitch to clean, so much worse than the Roma ones.

If you use the Krupps ones, I have read a lot of people mention they get zero crema. So how would one improve that? Does it all then come down to grinder and grind? In which case I dont think I want to open that can of worms ;-)

I checked these out today, they are definately a non-pressurised basket! 8-)

Andrew

My mistake :-[,

Eldest son owned a Cafe Roma and this is/was definitely a dual wall basket machine. The Bar Italia is Steam Pressure machine and therein is the reason that this uses single wall baskets I guess. Would be an interesting experiment if you can get the baskets from Breville, would make for a very easy swap instead of using the Krupps baskets which apparently can be a bit loose in the PF....

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Secksy link=1197963857/0#9 date=1198059743
    I checked these out today, they are definately a non-pressurised basket! *8-)

Andrew
    Definitely so

GDay Snobs

For anyone whos interested, Ive found the breville Bar Italia basket at a place in Seven Hills NSW called OBriens Electrical.

The only reason I didnt purchase it beacause its virtually identical to the Krups basket I have already, so if anyone wants it...its there awaiting!!! *8-)

Regards & Merry Christmas
    Andrew

nBC

picked up one on the way home from work. 8-) *The service agent had one in stock :o

Still waiting for Krups baskets ordered a couple of weeks ago. At least now ive got a depressurised basket for when Santa drops off the Ikon.

nbc Im interested in your thoughts about the non-pressurised baskets with that grinder.

nBC

Posted by: LikeMyCoffee Posted on: Today at 12:57
    nbc Im interested in your thoughts about the non-pressurised baskets with that grinder.
    Dont get the grinder til chrissy. But ill let you know as soon as ive had a play.

nBC, Id be interested to see if there is an appreciable difference between the Krups and the breville baskets. As discussed in other topics, Ive found I have to grind quite fine with the Krups basket, itll be interesting to see if this is the case with the breville basket too.

Picked up one of the Breville non-pressurized double baskets today.

So how does it compare to the Krups. Well actually on first look at it is almost the same. Biggest difference at first glance is the lip around the top of the basket which makes for a better seal. Inside it has marking for single or double shot quantities on the side. Hole pattern is very similar.

On closer inspection the internal diameter is bigger. I havent measured it yet but its at least 1mm larger. A big enough difference that my tamper no longer fits (glad I havent brought a Pullman Tamper yet).

The larger diameter makes it a much tighter fit in my 800ES group handle. The Krups one falls out when emptying into my knock box, this Breville one will never fall out.

Cant really compare the two yet but if I can post any more info about this soon I will.

Cheers
    Greg.P

Here are a couple of photos of the various baskets.

The inside diameter of the Breville starts at a shade over 52mm and tappers in slightly. The Krups are 51.2mm and fairly straight sided. The Breville one will never fall out of the group handle but I am forever retrieving the Krups ones out of my knock box.

Cheers
    Greg.P *

Quote Originally Posted by chips60 link=1197963857/15#17 date=1200311389
    Picked up one of the Breville non-pressurized double baskets today.

So how does it compare to the Krups. Well actually on first look at it is almost the same. Biggest difference at first glance is the lip around the top of the basket which makes for a better seal. Inside it has marking for single or double shot quantities on the side. Hole pattern is very similar.

On closer inspection the internal diameter is bigger. I havent measured it yet but its at least 1mm larger. A big enough difference that my tamper no longer fits (glad I havent brought a Pullman Tamper yet).

The larger diameter makes it a much tighter fit in my 800ES group handle. The Krups one falls out when emptying into my knock box, this Breville one will never fall out.

Cant really compare the two yet but if I can post any more info about this soon I will.

Cheers
    Greg.P
    Hi Greg,
    How did you go?
    What did you ask for when you ordered the Breville non-pressurised 2 cup basket? (a part number, or simply a basket for a Bar Italia?) Ive got a 800ES too.
    Im after one in the Sydney area.
    Phil

Hi Phil,

Sorry but I didnt get a part number. Im in Adelaide and dropped in at my local Breville, Sunbeam, Krups (you name it they do the lot of the cheapies) service center. Asked over the counter for the Bar Italia double basket and he brought out this humungus quad basket. Asked for the double again and he found me a double. Just checked the sales docket and no part number listed. Cost however was $13.20

My local repair agents are here.....

Got my Krups basket from them last year, if I realized the Bar Italia one fitted back then I would of gone for it instead.

Hope this helps.
    Greg.P

NB:
    Non Site Sponsor web addresses are not allowed normally Greg P. but rather than delete this one I have removed the visible reference.
    Mal.

DONT USE

the breville part # is ESP4 / 51 1-2 cup filter
    graham

Thanks Greg and Graham.

Yes thanks for the part number Graham, and thanks to Mal for fixing my post.

Using the Breville Bar Italia Basket I have gone from 6 to 12 on my EM0480 with less pressure in my tamp.

With the Krups baskets I had 2 of them and used to grind straight into them. If making 2 coffees I would use both baskets and swap between shots (yes double shots, we like our coffee strong).

With the Bar Italia I am using just the one Basket knock rinse and refill for the 2nd shot. Couldnt do this with the Krups baskets as they used to fall out when knocking.

With all the questions we keep getting about baskets for Breville, Sunbeam etc we need someone to collate the part numbers and info and place it in a sticky somewhere.

Cheers
    Greg.P

It certainly pays to shop around!
    One Breville service centre quoted me $17.90 for a 1-2 cup filter basket for a ESP4/51 (latest model?)
    Another advises they are identical to the ESP2/41, which they have in stock and sells for $8.90!!!!

With a 9g shot of coffee in there, it can pour very slowly indeed, and get a thin crema. The puck is non-existent and is really just a watery layer on top of a semi-solid slug of coffee. It is better than the dual wall basket, but could be better.

I machined off the base of the dual-wall basket that came with my 400 Ikon, but this is not as good as the Cafe Roma for some reason. I could just be to do with my tamper being an ill fit. The sides of the Cafe Roma basket are tapered and may lead to less side channeling or some such...

Quote Originally Posted by chips60 link=1197963857/15#20 date=1200467823

Sorry but I didnt get a part number. Im in Adelaide and dropped in at my local Breville, Sunbeam, Krups (you name it they do the lot of the cheapies) service center. Asked over the counter for the Bar Italia double basket and he brought out this humungus quad basket. Asked for the double again and he found me a double. Just checked the sales docket and no part number listed. Cost however was $13.20

My local repair agents are ...

Hi Chips,

Im also in Adelaide - and am now wondering if this Breville un-pressurized basket will fit my Sunbeam 4800C as well?? I was going to chase down the krups one, but this breville basket might be better for the SB too?

Any ideas...

Actaully, might be time to pull out the calipers and measure my basket at home... now there is a thouhgt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by themarvel2004 link=1197963857/15#26 date=1204160599
    Hi Chips,

Im also in Adelaide - and am now wondering if this Breville un-pressurized basket will fit my Sunbeam 4800C as well?? I was going to chase down the krups one, but this breville basket might be better for the SB too?

Any ideas...

Actaully, might be time to pull out the calipers and measure my basket at home... now there is a thouhgt!!!
    I know this is 5 months later, but just in case you were still wondering, I am using this combination and it works really well.

Well, I finally got my replacement ESP4/51 basket for $10.30 ... it took 2 months to get in as they were on back order apparently (too many of us were ordering them I suspect). All I have to do now it make a coffee ... but I have run out of beans!

Re: Breville Ikon - alternative to the krups basket

Hi, I also live in the south of Adelaide, and was wondering where I might be able to get hold of an ESP4/51 basket locally?

Newbie to the world of coffeesnobs, but keen to get into it with a Breville Ikon and BCG450 grinder. I have been reading over the improvements that can be made with the Breville unpressurised baskets, but I am at a total loss as to where to find them.

thanks for any help you can provide,

Crundle

Welcome crundle...

Try the search tool on the Breville website, here.... http://www.breville.com.au/care_agentsearch.asp ;)

Cheers,
    Mal.

Thanks Mal, was having some trouble with navigating their website...

I found a local supplier near Marion, went out and got the ESP4/51 - now waiting to pick up my Ikon and BCG450 grinder.

cheers,

Crundle

I have enlarged the exit hole in the double shot pressurised filter basket with a pistol drill (Breville Cafe Roma).
    Many of the postings I have come across, advising on conversions from pressurised to unpressurised functionlity, suggest radical metal removal from the baskets lower skin.
    Regarding how big the exit hole needs to be, for appropiate non-pressurised function, is anyone able to offer sound guidance either evidence based or theoretical as to a satisfactory size range for this exit hole?

Knowledgethirst,

Cutting the bottoms out of the baskets is easy, as stated in the thread above, they are a press fit. Just tap the centre of the upturned basket with the round end of *a ballpein hammer and the part you want to keep (the insert ) falls out. Dont worry about denting the basket, you are going to cut out the centre anyway.Then just hold the basket convex face against a grinding wheel, its thin, it grinds away easily.You can then tidy up the edge by hand with a round file. Just make sure you leave enough about 3mil should do, then press in the seive insert again. Now you have a basket that is responsive to changes in grind and tamp.Grind some fresh coffee and be prepared for a surprise compared to before.

Also, those of you that have the Krups unpressurized portafilter, do you notice that the holes are a bit bigger than the stock breville basket?

Or if you are very careful and the basket and lower (pressuirised section) will not separate, then you can simply drill a hole (about 5-8mm bitt) through the small pressurised hole. This is what I did with a Brevile Cafe Roma basket. Just be careful not to drill all the way through the filter!
    Cheers
    Simon

Somehow I finished up with the same question posed in 2 spots, PL and Mokka responded with A1 advice, thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 69505A5A56555675584D4D5C390 link=1241958773/1#1 date=1242001991
    I drilled out all of the indentations under the cafe roma basket on mine.This left me with approx a 1cm square perforated section.
    I think i used a .8mm drill bit
    One hole did not reduce pressure by much.
    Try blowing air through it - you will see what I mean. *
    Quote Originally Posted by 32282C2E2F2C242D23410 link=1197963857/34#34 date=1242014264
    Or if you are very careful and the basket and lower (pressuirised section) will not separate, then you can simply drill a hole (about 5-8mm bitt) through the small pressurised hole. This is what I did with a Brevile Cafe Roma basket. Just be careful not to drill all the way through the filter!
    Cheers
    Simon
    The first enlargement of the exit hole (previously drilled) was too easy so I thought just enlarge it to about 7mm would be quick and easy (exit hole/s with a similar cross sectional area to the sum of the filter holes seemed reasonable).
    Well not quite so, but eventually finished with a satisfactory result.
    The main difficulty was that drilling the very thin unsupported metal caused it to deform readily away from the cutting edge of the drill bit.
    If I did it again, I think Id drill multiple fine holes.
    Thanks Mokka and PL
    Kind Regards
    Lindsay

Those of you that have the Krups unpressurized portafilter, do you notice that the holes are a bit bigger than the stock breville basket?

Are you guys finding any bean particles in your cup because of the larger holes in the portafilter?