Thread: Modified em4800 with em0450 grinder - great!!!

Modified em4800 with em0450 grinder - great!!!

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Ive been using the em4800 at work for a while now at work and it does an ok job with pre-ground coffee. Better than instant anyway, but I decided to get one for home on special and then got a em0450 for xmas.

I was getting crappy 10 second gushers even with the coffee ground to atoms or it would just block and blow the seal.

So I sifted through the forums here and found them to be extremely helpful, modified my machine slightly.

I got a Krups filter basket and a Krups group head seal for about $20 bucks all up. What a difference! (the PF Basket is non-pressurised - dont bother with the crema enhancers - throw them in the bin) You need the Krups seal because the Sunbeam one doesnt quite produce a perfect seal and is prone to blowing. Theyre $5 at the same place you get the basket).

after a lot of practise this is what Im getting consistently from a $300 setup:

- 25-30 second pours
    - rich cinnamon coloured crema
    - a dense, dry puck which pops out easily
    - what i think is tiger striping
    - consistent volume

I wasnt getting these results until I started overdosing the pf a little and tamping really hard, maybe 20kg or force?

My em0450 is set a around 7-8 (im told you need to play around as grinders differ)

Also the espresso tastes good. What do you think? Is it possible to get a good shot from a cheap machine? If so do people go more expensive for the added reliability or consistency? :) Has anyone else done this?

Re: Modified em4800 with em0450 grinder - great!!!

Hi *EspressoNewt and welcome to CS.

"Has anyone else done this?" Yes! Many snobs have started their coffee journey on a small sunbeam. I started on an EM4800C & EM0480 with krups un-pressurised baskets. The result was good and for me consistent. The espresso was nice, although there is always room for improvement ;). With the time it took to heat the milk it was lovely and glossy making art that much easier.

The reason people upgrade apart from becoming a snob, getting addicted and always wanting more are... well Iím not sure because that is what happens to most around here! ;D Ive been a snob member for just over a year and in under that time upgraded. I now own an EM6910, Mazzer SJ timer, Pullman tamper & roast my own beans. Compared to lots of snobs that would be seen as a slow progression! :-?

20kg force? What tamper are you using? Surely not the SB supplied... Perhaps you should try it on a scale and let us know. You might surprise yourself and itís less than you think.

All the best.

Id agree with you on the cheaper stuff being able to poke out some good coffee.

Ive been using a borrowed Breville Cafe Roma, chopping spice grinder (shock horror), even still have the pressurised baskets.

I can pull a decent shot that puts an average cafe to shame most of the time.

I think where the cheaper equipment falls down is like what you suggested:

1. Quality is not as good as the good cafes.

2. Consistency hard to achieve.

3. Good equipment will last forever.

4. Your always thinking "If this is what I can do with this piece of crap... Imagine what I could do with a real machine" (Well I do anyway.

Hey,

Ive got an EM4800C as well - had it about 3 monts, and so far have been quite happy with the coffee I can produce using all the standard bits. Im using a Delonghi grinder (dont remember model number).
    Anyway - the seal is now showing wear - have to tighen group head handle past the middle position, and have had a blow out on a pre-heat.

Im wondering if I should go to the Krups basket and seal - and if so, where in Adelaide (or surrounds) do I go to get the bits? *And do I need to modify any other bits on my machine to make it work?

I have been getting pucks that are generally moist, but not soggy (well, sometimes) - will changing to the Krups basket improve this?
    Sorry for the newbie question - but why does this make it a better shot?

Thanks.

Matt

VC

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoNewt link=1199980798/0#0 date=1199980798
    I got a Krups filter basket and a Krups group head seal for about $20 bucks all up.
    Ive got an EM4800 as well and would like to know where I can get these Krups bits. $20, hey? Sounds worthwhile. Anyone know of a place in Sydney on the north side?

Id also be interested to know where I can get these Krups bits - Im in Brisbania!

Hey lauraemily, list of Krups service centres attached... Might be worth a mod relocating this to a sticky (or an FAQs page?), it seems to get requested reasonably often...

I think the service centres set their own prices; I was quoted $20 but only charged $8.20 for the double basket.

Do you have aprt number for the Group head seal?? :)

Hi all, longtime lurker, finally registered!

I got a Krups double basket for my EM4800C a couple of months ago, best thing I ever did.......

I have rung and ordered the seal mentioned above, as I was geeting seal blowouts regardless of the tamp pressure - the seal must be squashed flat as I can push the group head handle all the way till it stops, and it isnt very tight.

I rang the Adelaide number above and even without the part number was able to order the Krups seal. (I hope it turns up alright.....)

The guy at the service centre said the Krups and SB seals look exactly the same; when I get it in the mail Ill addd the part number for future reference.

Enjoy your coffees, whether white, black, tall or short!

I ordered mine today. Will wait and see if they need a part number for the Group Head Seal. I will await the information with interest. ;)

Ordered the seal yesterday, got it today..... put it in and produced the longest pour time yet!

All the anguish over trying to get the grind right and now it seems it was the seal more than anything.

FYI - the seal part number is MS-620342 - Brewhead Seal.

If I bought the EM4800C again, the first thing I would do is replace the basket (double only) and the seal.

Cheers!

I ordered mine yesterday should get it in a month or two due to the donkey carrying it from Melbourne to Cairns. [smiley=evil.gif] [smiley=evil.gif]

Sounds like its worth shopping around for the Krups brewhead seal and the double basket. I rang one place here in Brissy and was told $7.95 for the seal and $39.05 for the basket!! *:o

Rang a different branch of the same company and was told $7.60 for the seal and $15.30 for the basket! Now thats more like it! (Cept now I have to go to the other side of town to pick it up *:( )

I am still waiting - nearly 2 months. I think I need to look for a new supplier >:(

VC

Stan, if you havent handed over the money yet, cancel the order and order your parts from Ellis Electrical in Dandenong. I live in Sydney and they posted it the same day. $12 for the baskets and $5 for the seal with $10 for postage. It was amusing - I called up and told them I was after some baskets for my Sunbeam machine - the guy knew exactly what I was after without any more info... that I wanted Krups parts, etc. I guess he gets a few calls.

I had previously placed an order with my local appliance repairer (Metrowide in Hornsby, NSW) after they advised me it would be in my hands within a week... I gave up after a month of waiting without any info from them advising of delays.

I will be doing that tomorrow. I think I have been more than patient. For me the time I have waited has been exceptional. God please give me patience but I want it NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [smiley=evil.gif]

Does anyone know if this modification would work on other Sunbeam models? I was going to do it on my EM4800, but thats just died, so Im about to replace it with either another EM4800 or step up to a EM5600 or EM5800.

VC

Speedbump, yes, the mods will work on the EM5600 as well... but be wary of considering this an upgrade. The EM5600 is exactly the same as the EM4800 except for the clock and the price difference. (This is why the mods will work on this machine). If you want more than a cosmetic upgrade, go to something like the EM6910 (20% off at DJs at the momet) or Silvia... just my opinion and probably off-topic. ;)

Hmmm, definitely sounds worthwhile. Im only using Medaglia dOro pre-ground stuff at the moment but everything seems to be going swimmingly...no blockages, or back-pressure when disconnecting the head like some people have described. Could definitely improve, but its definitely an improvement over what I was using before [*cough* dripolater *cough*].

Heres to better coffee!

- boingk

Hi boingk and welcome to CS!

Any coffee that is ground outside your front door is stale - supermarket coffee is even worse.

Having said that, if you have no other option than to buy preground coffee youd be better off purchasing from a local roaster or one of the site sponsors on the left hand side of the page.

Its not ideal, but will certainly be better than what youre currently using. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 0613500 link=1199980798/14#14 date=1214123025
    Stan, if you havent handed over the money yet, cancel the order and order your parts from Ellis Electrical in Dandenong. I live in Sydney and they posted it the same day. $12 for the baskets and $5 for the seal with $10 for postage. It was amusing - I called up and told them I was after some baskets for my Sunbeam machine - the guy knew exactly what I was after without any more info... that I wanted Krups parts, etc. I guess he gets a few calls.
    Ordered mine today from Ellis and had the same experience. Got part way through asking when he announced what I needed :) Should have them by Wednesday so I can start making real-ish coffees!

Cheers
    Bruce

Sorry to revive an old thread but I had to post my great experience and thanks :D

I bought a Sunbeam 4800C and brewed some supermarket coffees, ok results with some brands. I must have managed to find a single packet of La Vazza that wasnt as stale as the rest.

Then I found the snobs site and realised I needed fresh beans to grind. I bought a 2nd hand Ascaso i1 from a fellow snob (Ben Beck) and he also offered some great advice along the way.

I bought some coffee from bean bay (Espresso wow and some others), grinded it up and was severely dissapointed with a 12 second pour and very poor tasting coffee. I thought I was just terrible at making coffee for such bad results from a decent grinder and good coffee.

Then I discovered this thread and some info about double pressurised baskets etc.

Installed the Krups basket this morning, Ground some fresh espresso wow with my Ascaso. I only very lightly tamped and left perhaps a little more room in the basket in case I had ground way to fine and would get a blowout.

The coffee poured in 22 seconds, started blonding early due to my under dose and light tamp probably.

But the taste..... The BEST coffee I have made on the machine by far. Even with the under dose and quick pour it was incredible. For this noob coffee snob it was like a god shot compared to the previous junk.

Wait till I get the grind/dose right, this will be incredible. Great bang for the buck with a cheapish machine!

TC

[split] [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1212665233/179#179][splithere][/link][splithere_end]

Ordered from Ellis, again as per the others they knew exactly what to send and why, $30 all in.

There is an ebay seller offering same but total cost is $45.

Thanks for this, hope its worthwhile.

I have noticed sometimes my sunbeam gets extremely steamy when pouring and I have to stop it and start it again so it pours correctly and when it does this the coffee comes out too hot almmost boiling. Is this a feature of this machine or do I have a problem?

Thanks

Yes this is a feature of the machine. The EM4800 that we have does not prime the thermoblock with water when you first switch it on (EM3800 does).

I suggest you manually prime it by running some brew water through when you first switch on. It is also good practice to make sure you do a short "test flush" (approx 1s) again before attaching your dosed portafilter to make sure the thermoblock empty or temp isnt too high. If all you get is steam coming through, then you need to keep flushing!

This is especially important if you the last thing you did was steaming, since the steam and brew water come through the same thermoblock on the EM4800. Some machines will try to cool the thermoblock by auto flushing when you switch off steaming, but they rarely cool it down enough to switch straight to brewing.

I have also seen some machines thermoblocks run dry if left switched on for a quite a while.

Wow, that sounds like an excellent solution to my similar problem.

What exactly is this "group head seal"? Is it just a rubber gasket or is it the whole black mounting frame that you fit the handle into? How easy is it to install for a non-expert?

Is this considered a risky mod - has there been any reports of it leading to any problems?

Im also in Brisbane.

Cheers, Wayne.

Awesome bit of info here guys. Im only new on here, I work away from home and have one of these machines in my room at work. Making a better quality coffee from the old girl will definitely help those 5 am starts!
    Ordering the parts first thing tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 6D636A6A7F713234060 link=1199980798/25#25 date=1280662418
    What exactly is this "group head seal"? Is it just a rubber gasket or is it the whole black mounting frame that you fit the handle into? How easy is it to install for a non-expert?

Is this considered a risky mod - has there been any reports of it leading to any problems?
    Its the gasket between the portafilter /basket and the group head. They wear over time anyway (consumable) so geting one for a spare never hurts.

Its not a risky mod unless you like to use air powered tools for everything you do in life. The seal comes out easy enough.

Just as another confirmation for something said earlier ;

If you are trying to make good coffee with supermarket or pre-ground beans you are kidding yourself. You start with poo and you end with liquid poo extract. ;D