Thread: Nemox Junior

Nemox Junior

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Are the Nemox Junior any good?

Was wondering what their steaming is like? Can they get great microfoam? Is the espresso quality really nice?

Ive seen one of these in the flesh but there were no demonstrations. I think the thing on the end of the steam wand would make frothing for microfoam difficult, so is there a way to remove it, and if so does it reduce the length of the steam wand?

Dont mind the 53mm baskets, but having a proper 58mm basket would indeed be better, so Im thinking of just saving up a little longer and getting the Silvia, and doing away with the steam wand and small filter issues.

Maybe even a Lelit combo, for under $800 would be a nice one as well, as I wouldnt have to worry about buying a grinder. The combo is about same as cost for a Silvia.

Any input would be appreciated.

Ben

Re: Nemox Junior

Id go 58mm baskets.

53mm look like toys.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Thundergod link=1203804837/0#1 date=1203820697
    Id go 58mm baskets.

53mm look like toys.
    Yes and no TG,

I love the 53mm LaSpaziale baskets on the Vivaldi II.

They are deep baskets and chanelling is nigh impossible to achieve. I also reckon that there is more in each shot flavourwise....

Chris

Basket size isnt the only factor though 58mm makes it easy to upgrade bits, get off the shelf equipment etc. There is a Nemox version of the Imat Mokita (non-combi version) which has 57mm baskets but is a better machine than the junior.

Point taken Chris.
    Though Id count that one as an exception.

Greg got what I meant about compatibility.

Ive decided on either a Silvia or a Domobar (I can get one for about $1300 but it wont be fully stainless steel decor, instead itll have black on the sides, wont bother me, I only care about whats in the cup ;)).

Ive just got myself an EM480 grinder for $180, and it is awesome. Nice grind quality I used it with my old ailing Cafe Ristretto with nonpressurised filter baskets and the pour quality was smooth with lots of crema. But my little buddy Ristretto is dying on me, Ive noticed that it makes a lot of noise whereas when it was new it was quieter. Damn fine machine for what...69$???!!!

Domobar looks good and Im told its the best machine under $1500, but I think a Silvia would keep me happy.

Ben

Good choices either way benj, but youll probably want something better than the 0480 to pair it with. Much like putting retreads on a Porsche.

on the topic of Nemox, as this is the only Nemox machine related thread i could find on CS,
    does anyone know if the Nemox Cafe Fenice is a good machine, first glance it reminded me of the Silvia. :D
    comparable at all?

its for sale, so i wanted to know what its worth...

sexy group handle too hey?

As is, the Silvia is a better choice if you are into latte art. *As is, for espresso, or milk drinks without the need for latte art, the Fenice is a better deal, money wise. *The boiler is on top of the group with the Nemox, which makes is a little faster on the heat up/recovery than the Silvia. *Silvia has easy to get parts, and a 58mm pf. *Nemox parts are much more sparse at least up here. *With the help of CG, Mal, and Gregs, I decided on the Fenice and to mod the wand to a . *This was after finding out that my machine does have a 3-way. * I understand that the American version, first generation, had NO 3-way, and the 2nd gen DO have the 3-way. *The Australian version, well, my sister has a Breville not a Nemox, so I have to trust your countrymates on this one. I would avoid the Junior. I agree about the toy comment. If you just take off the wand tip, well, dont unless you mod an extension! I modded mine, and saved $300+, but its not for everyone, but at least one of your fellow Snobs has done it better than me!

Heres some of my Fenice personal photos:
    I am hoping to mod mine with a PID in 6 months...if I can find the thread size for the thermostats!

Wand Mod-soldered on a Silvia tip:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/olph4rt/SilviaWand

General Photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/olph4rt/Fenice

Innards showing 3-way valve, boiler, thermostats etc:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/olph4rt/ThermRepair

Anyways. cheers!