Thread: Some advice before I take the plunge

Some advice before I take the plunge

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi CoffeeSnobs,

I am about to buy an espresso machine and, based on the latest Choice magazine review, I was thinking of either the Magimix LExpresso Program Automatic 11232 or the Sunbeam Cafe Latte EM5600. *Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these models or recommend I consider something else instead? *Im happy to spend up to about $700 if its worthwhile doing so.

I am likely to be making espressos for myself and my wife prefers cappuccinos, so we need a machine that makes good coffee and good milk.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to buy coffee beans around the Sydney city/North Sydney area and how should I ask for them to be ground?

Many thanks
    Stuart

Re: Some advice before I take the plunge

Welcome the CS Stuart, there is a legion on devotees of the Sunbeam 6910 on CS, you will need a decent grinder to go with it, the lowest level grinder probably Sunbeam EM480. The 6910 goes for around the $600 mark if you shop around and the grinder $180ish, but this would be a better option the other two machines you have mentioned. There has been a lot of discussion on the choice "choices" on CS and none has been flattering!!!
    Good luck with your decision, Im sure you will heaps more feedback from fellow CSers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart, firstly welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Secondly, rip that review out of the Choice magazine and BURN it!!!.

Just kidding, keep it so you know what a bad review it is.

Have a read of this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1203156005/

---------------

Dont rush in to a decision or theres more chance youll regret it.

We understand not everyone has a huge budget and will all try our hardest to help in that regard but I need to tell you that you really need a*grinder first and coffee maker second.

Asking to have even freshly roasted beans ground for you still comes with problems.
    The first one being that ground beans are effectively stale after 3 minutes.
    The second one being that getting the grind right is hit and miss and may take a few batches before they get it right for your machine (and youd ask for espresso grind).

Is there any chance you could stretch the budget another $300 for a good grinder that will last a while?
    Otherwise a Sunbeam EM0450 for about $150 will be the absolute minimum but no guarantees about longevity.

-------------------

Do some reading in the Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500) section for some machine recommendations within your currently stated budget.

Forget the Choice review my friend. If your after simultaneous steaming and shot ability go the EM6910 but make sure you get a good grinder such as the Rancilio Rocky if you can stretch to that otherwise the sunbeam EM480 - otherwise is absolute shot quality is a priority and you dont mind a wait for warm up and dont need sim shot and steaming (ie you dont entertain and put out lots of milk coffees) then you might want to check out the Rancilio Silvia (and they make good sense second hand too).

Cheers

beat me to it TG:)

greenman got in while I was typing.

Stuart - theres a Sunbeam 6910 for sale here
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1206433225/0#0

Thanks all for the advice. That Choice thread was certainly an interesting one. My takeaways from it are:
    - Id probably be better to walk to the corner for a takeaway; or
    - I need to do a load more research, and get a good grinder.
    I think I will be browsing the threads for some time to come.
    Cheers
    Stuart