Thread: cant get espresso out of my new Breville IKON

pr

cant get espresso out of my new Breville IKON

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,
    I cant seem to be able to get any espresso out of my new Breville IKON. When I take outt the portafilter, the coffee puck is wet and soggy but no espresso flows out. Frothing milk seems to work fine, though.

Troubleshooting in the manual doesnt seem to help. Anybody with ideas??

Thx
    pr

Re: cant get espresso out of my new Breville IKON

Quote Originally Posted by pr link=1207168434/0#0 date=1207168434
    Hi,
    I cant seem to be able to get any espresso out of my new Breville IKON. When I take outt the portafilter, the coffee puck is wet and soggy but no espresso flows out. Frothing milk seems to work fine, though.

Thx
    pr
    Hi pr and welcome to Coffee Snobs forum. *Because you are getting no flow at all,.it sounds to me like your grind is too fine for your machine. I assume you are buying your coffee pre-ground??? Your best bet is to buy from your local roaster,. or online roaster and tell them the machine you are using. Most roaster will know your machine and grind your beans to suit you. Obviously if you have a good grinder at home,.. grind a little courser and play until your pours are good.

Welcome to CS pr, Remy has hit the nail on the head, sounds like your grind is too fine and choking the machine. Adjust your grind and you should get a flow and then you can work on all the other variables.
    Persevere and Im sure you will heaps of support and advice here on CS!!!

Hi PR,

I encountered the same problem when I first got my grinder. I started a medium setting and adjusted from there. I choked my ikon a few times and when removing the PF, the grounds sprayed everywhere. I think you would have to go through this process to get the correct grind. With pre-ground coffee from roasters or supermarket, they usually grind them coarser to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by pr link=1207168434/0#0 date=1207168434
    Hi,

Thx
    pr

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs pr..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

The guys and gals above have pretty well covered everything 8-)..... A couple more things that comes to mind though:-

You dont mention it but I suspect you are using the pressurised basket(s) that come with the Ikon and such being the case, you dont need to tamp the coffee down very hard at all, maybe 2Kg or so. The other thing is, if you are using the Single Shot Basket, Id give that a miss for the time being and just use the Double, much easier to come to grips with and if you dont want a double-shot, just collect the other half of the shot and whack it in the fridge for later use in very special Iced Coffee drinks.

Something that will really benefit the quality of the shots you produce is the acquisition of a Standard Basket (single walled, non-pressurising), the best grinder that you can afford and a decent properly fitted Tamper. That way, you only buy enough freshly roasted, high quality, whole-bean coffee and then only grind what you need immediately before pulling a shot (or several). Beautiful award winning coffee can be purchased from several of our Site Sponsors and also from the esteemed owner of this website, Andy Freeman (just by heading up to the top L/H corner of the page and clicking on "Buy Brown").

Having a decent grinder is way more important that the type of brewing method you use and I would like to humbly suggest that you check out this link first and then approach one or more of our sponsors for a great deal. All the best mate and happy brewing :),

Mal.

pr

Thanks for all the suggestions. Only other question I have is - does Breville sell a Standard Basket (single walled, non-pressurising)? If not, does anyone know which basket will fir the IKON?

Thx
    Pr

Yes. Go to a Breville service center and ask for a Bar Italia non-pressurised basket, part number esp4 I think. Theres the 1-2cups and 2-4cups size. The 2-4cups will be too deep for the Ikon PF.

pr

Thank you I will look for it..

pr