Thread: Gaggia Espresso, pwns the cheepies?

Gaggia Espresso, pwns the cheepies?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey just joined,

I went to buy an espresso machine cause i got donated a coffee grinder, and I had done some cafe work and am starting to like coffee
    Now went into a Myer and they had a few machines that looked pretty nice although some was too expensive... there was this Gaggia which was in plastic but around 450 (EDIT - I THINK IT MAY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN 350) - the Gaggia espresso pure - the black one
    The lady said that although the others may look better, that this one was better because of a big handle? *I only wanted to spend 400 but she said this is worth it...
    anyway i googled but couldnt really find a review and then i found this website

So does anyone know anything about this or should i go for somthing else, I had a quick read of this section and a few people are sayin the breville icon is dope

this is amajor purchase for me on pocket money so i don wanna stuff up

jules

EDIT2
    the machine costs 399 full price but i asked for a discount and they will do it for 350

hey i found a picture of it

talk about hard to find
    it is here
    http://www.gaggia.com/macchine-da-caffe.asp?macchine-per-espresso-manuali_114_Espresso-Pure

TC

Re: Gaggia Espresso, pwns the cheepies?

Quote Originally Posted by julian link=1211790544/0#0 date=1211790544
    Hey just joined,

I went to buy an espresso machine cause i got donated a coffee grinder, and I had done some cafe work and am starting to like coffee
    Now went into a Myer and they had a few machines that looked pretty nice although some was too expensive... there was this Gaggia which was in plastic but around 450 - the Gaggia espresso pure - the black one
    The lady said that although the others may look better, that this one was better because of a big handle? *I only wanted to spend 400 but she said this is worth it...
    anyway i googled but couldnt really find a review and then i found this website

So does anyone know anything about this or should i go for somthing else, I had a quick read of this section and a few people are sayin the breville icon is dope

this is amajor purchase for me on pocket money so i don wanna stuff up

jules
    Department store salespeople are probably better selling manchester or underwear than espresso machines IMHO ;)

how do i quote in here?
    2muchcoffeeman they did have an underware sale on :)
    which machine dude is the one at a good level, i mean i cant spend heaps you know parents dont pay too well

ok and last couple of questions from me, this is a cut and paste of techpsecs from the website,
    is 1100W enough power and is 15 bar enough pressure?

Power supply 230-240V 50Hz 1100W 120V 60Hz 1100W
    Boiler Stainless steel
    Water tank Integrated and removable
    Water tank capacity 1,25 Lt
    Cappuccino accessory Pannarello
    3 Filters: 1 cup/1 pod/ 2 cups Yes
    Makes two cups simultaneously Yes
    Water pump pressure 15 bar
    Cup plate Yes
    Filter holder Chromed brass
    Accessories Tamper, measuring spoon
    Dimensions cm. (LxHxD) 21 x 35,5 x 27,5
    Weight 4,5 kg
    Bodywork ABS
    Available Nero
    Sistema Crema perfetta Optional

If the insides of the Gaggia Espresso is anything like the Gaggia Carezza, I would definitely recommend it as a first machine. It has 58mm commercial sized portafilters (big handles - as the Myer salesperson put it), non-pressurised baskets (came with a crema enhancing disc, but I chucked it out), boiler (not thermoblock). Having said that, I wouldnt pay $450 for it though. Id look around the classifieds or trading post or not-that-bay-again for a second hand Gaggia carezza... Shouldnt have to pay more than $200 for a used one. That will do you until you start working and will spend that first paycheck on a bling bling machine...

TC

Quote Originally Posted by NewToEspresso link=1211790544/0#5 date=1211792523
    If the insides of the Gaggia Espresso is anything like the Gaggia Carezza, I would definitely recommend it as a first machine. It has 58mm commercial sized portafilters (big handles - as the Myer salesperson put it), non-pressurised baskets (came with a crema enhancing disc, but I chucked it out), boiler (not thermoblock). Having said that, I wouldnt pay $450 for it though. Id look around the classifieds or trading post or not-that-bay-again for a second hand Gaggia carezza... Shouldnt have to pay more than $200 for a used one. That will do you until you start working and will spend that first paycheck on a bling bling machine...
    Agreed....For those sort of dollars, Id be extending to $500 and grabbing one of the pre-loved Rancilio Silvias which are frequently advertised here- e.g. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1208944985. Its a no brainer and rather than a corrosion prone aluminium boiler, you get a bigger brass boiler.

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1211790544/0#6 date=1211793108
    Agreed....For those sort of dollars, Id be extending to $500 and grabbing one of the pre-loved Rancilio Silvias which are frequently advertised here- e.g. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1208944985. Its a no brainer and rather than a corrosion prone aluminium boiler, you get a bigger brass boiler.

2mcm
    ok worked out how to quote yay
    hey 2muchcoffeeman this website does say "boiler stainless steel "
    or is there another aluminium part, which i dont want alzeimers from!!!

oh and i think guys the price was actually more like 350 i better check and then change my first post

ok so basically gaggia is good then?? i am in perth so i am thinking the postage costs could be high if i went second hand unless it was from perth -- also mum doesnt want anything too big on the counter is the carezza the same sort of size cause the epresso pure is a pretty good size..

julian dont rush your decision.
    At this lower price point you have to be sure you get something reliable.
    Obviously the more you spend the more reliable a machine you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by julian link=1211790544/0#8 date=1211794420
    ok so basically gaggia is good then?? i am in perth so i am thinking the postage costs could be high if i went second hand unless it was from perth -- also mum doesnt want anything too big on the counter is the carezza the same sort of size cause the epresso pure is a pretty good size..
    I thing rongs silvia for sale here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?board=Sale is in located in perth! its more than you can afford but it would be good :)

For a few friends of mine who were interested to get into coffee, what Ive done is to offer to lend them the Carezza on weekends (because they would be sitting on my office desk unused anyway) with my grinder to trial out and see if its something they really want to get into or is it romanticised and may consider it more hassle than its worth. There is a fair bit involved, sourcing fresh beans, grinding them, tamping properly, make coffee, then cleaning the shower screen, PF lock areas, grinder area, steam wand etc... Some consider it too much of a hassle and would prefer to just buy the coffee, but for those who persist and is willing to put in that time and effort, the quality of coffee is unparalled, unless you live round the corner from First Pour or St Alis...
    Something cheeep like a used Carezza may be the way to start if youre unsure about how far youd like to take it. However, if youre sure that you want to keep going despite how tough it may get, then I wouldnt waste my money on intermediate machines only to upgrade in a few months...

price

i called the store up and they said the price was 399 but they could do it for 350,
    i also messged rong about his mchine so we will see
    iwill edit the first post

I think its definately worth spending the extra $100-$150 for the silvia.

350 it was

had the machine for a week now, pretty good so far

been reading up pretty hard, tried stockfleths move and wiess distribution thing which takes ages but gets the results..

this espresso thing is pretty easy, just my milk isnt the best probly like gj level

ummmmmmmmm

okay so far

good build, plastic but pretty solid

quick heat up time

nice and small on the benchtop especiallly when the grinder and the grind box is added

possible downers are the small tray which fills up with water pretty fast

also the handle has black bits on the bottom which doesnt look as good as the all silver type ones, small issue though

oh and i am using this Campos coffee which seems good though i dont know how old it is

well anyway this stuff is great

I am fairly inexperienced too so excuse any wrong info I may impart.

I was given the espresso pure. ive had it about 6 months and have been struggling to get a good crema. ive paired it with a cunill tranquilo so have access to consistent grind. with this machine you need to put a lot less than what you think you need into the porta filla. you need to leave about 5 or 6 mm gap.

Regarding getting a good crema, you need to get the grind fairly fine but then you get the problem of it all spewing out of the handle if its too fine, tamped too hard or too much in the porta filla. but if you grind it too coarse, then it comes out muddy with no crema. by making it finer, with less in the porta filla and a fairly gentle tamp, i am getting good crema but it pours quickly and it seems to be all crema and no coffee.

as for the steam wand, unscrew the outside plastic thing and throw it away. keep the inner plastic thing on as you need that little bit of length to reach the milk jug. if you can put another wand on it, then do it and let me know.

i am just working out how i can get rid of this gift from my father without hurting his feelings. to make things worse he provided a 5 year warranty with it. he also bought the same model and loves it. i wish he had found the sylvia before buying this one....

Quote Originally Posted by 6762746F67686469677462060 link=1211790544/15#15 date=1239772322
    i am just working out how i can get rid of this gift from my father without hurting his feelings. *to make things worse he provided a 5 year warranty with it. *he also bought the same model and loves it. *i wish he had found the sylvia before buying this one.... *
    The Sylvia is more finicky about grind/dose/tamp than the Gaggias that I have used. I have found that while the Sylvia can make better espresso if EVERYTHING is done perfectly, the Gaggias are much more forgiving and consistent and the difference is not that great when comparing the ultimate shot quality. That said, the ones I have used have been the ones with aluminium *[smiley=shocked.gif] boilers, not ones of these newer stainless steel boiler versions.

I have never had problems making espressos that some highly regarded baristas (members of this site) have said that they would gladly pay for so the Sylvia is not the only guaranteed path the high quality espresso from a cheapish machine. I also have a Cunill Tranquillo and agree that its grind consitency is not an issue.

If I were you, I would try coarsening up the grind and updosing - maybe try the double basket to pull a single shot if you still struggle to pull a decent shot as the single basket can be rather tricky (true for all espresso machines).

Thanks Kaanage. I only ever use the double dose and have managed to convince my wife that the single dose is banned. When I make it coarser I get no crema at all no matter how hard I tamp. When I make it finer, it blows out the top no matter how light I tamp. When I get it right I seem to get nothing but crema which makes the shots really small. Thanks for your comments about the Sylvia. I have been grieving about not getting one but Ill persist with the Gaggia. Maybe I am just being a cry baby and theres probably nothing wrong with what I am pulling. Everybody else seems to be happy with the shots. I am a little OCD but I guess if you are reading this, then maybe you are too. ;D

My other obsession is with cooking the perfect steak but thats another thread on another forum. :D

I take it youve removed the "crema enhancing" device of some sort, whether it be a simple disc with a pin prick hole in the center or some other device to "enhance" the crema by forcing the coffee under more pressure through one hole rather than just the filter basket?
    You have to get rid of those things to get decent coffee.
    I actually like the Gaggia single basket but my gaggia single basket takes 14g of coffee and the double 21g.

Hi there! *Im a barista in Canada; bought the Espresso Pure a month ago for home and love it.

For good consistent crema and 25 second shots, I mound finely ground espresso higher than the top of the filter about 3-4mm. *Then gently on a rag surface tap the portafilter to settle it in before I tamp it. *This gets more coffee in and produces better crema.

HIGHLY recommend the upgraded steam wand. *When you take off the outer sleeve you have a long enough wand to actually steam good microfoam with for latte art, instead of the short useless one that comes with the machine.

Commercial link removed in accordance with Site Sales and Posting Policy

The Mod Team.

That looks like the panarello that comes with Saeco machines!

Dont know if its just as easy on the Gaggia Espresso Pure as it is on the Carezza but if it is, better to do the silvia steam wand mod on the gaggias.

BludgingAtWork, can you let us know if NewToEspresso is correct about the Crema Disc being installed in your PF?

NewToEspresso, why is the Sylvia arm better?

The silvia arm is longer and the hole is just a bit bigger so you get a good lot of steam coming out. Mind you, because the Gaggia boiler is small, youll run out of steam a bit quicker too BUT if youre using a 300ml jug to steam milk for one, you have no problems getting good latte art microfoam with the silvia arm. The long arm also allows you to go deeper into a bigger jug like a 600ml jug filled 1/3 for one latte which might be a bit difficult on a shorter wand.

Well the main (only?) advantage I see for the Saeco panarello (Ive seen the suggestion on another site before) is that it lengthens the steam arm so it should achieve the same thing as the Sylvia arm swap for less hassle.

Ive always steamed with the short stump after removing the outer sleeve of the original panarello with good results but not quite as good as with my HX machine. Possibly, the Sylvia arm mod would have helped but the advantage of the smaller opening is that the boiler never runs out of steam (it will heat cycle while steaming)