Thread: Reccomended coffee machine under $600?

Reccomended coffee machine under $600?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I have been looking around for quite some time, trying to find out which is a good coffee machine to buy. There are so many out there that i just cant decide. Could you please reccomend a great coffee machine and maybe give a little info about it?

Much appreciated
    Hersch

TC

Re: Reccomended coffee machine under $600?

Quote Originally Posted by Hersch link=1212815769/0#0 date=1212815769
    I have been looking around for quite some time, trying to find out which is a good coffee machine to buy. There are so many out there that i just cant decide. Could you please reccomend a great coffee machine and maybe give a little info about it?

Much appreciated
    Hersch
    Gday Hersch and welcome,

You have a couple of CS favourite options at that price point:[*]CS per-loved Rancilio Silvia: like http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1212369554 or http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1208944985
    [*]Sunbeam 6910. You might find one under $600 on sale if youre lucky.

The Silvia is a great machine and with appropriate care will last a long time. The 6910 will allow for simultaneous shots and milk texturing, but they are very much an appliance and many CSers have experienced failures with them...

Of course, the CS mantra that youre wasting your time if you dont have good fresh beans and a great grinder applies. Allocate a bare minimum of $300 for a suitable grinder...

cheers

2mcm

Gday Hersch,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Another machine that is worthy of consideration at that price-point is one of the Imat Mokita class of machines. I dont know if any of our Sponsors stock this type of machine but it is quite capable and new, would come in under $600. As Chris says though, you still need to budget for a decent espresso capable grinder and for that the real entry point machine is the Iberital Challenge which several of our Sponsors would have available for around the $300 mark.

A used Silvia in good condition though is a much more worthwhile proposition than a new Imat Mokita and the links provided by Chris points to well loved and properly maintained machines and are really worth the asking price. Dont forget the grinder though, without that it will be impossible to extract decent espresso on a consistent basis. All the best and happy hunting :),

Cheers,
    Mal.

oe

Hello All, *
    Just new to coffee snobs but couldnt help notice....no mention of the vintage home levers. * For the money, a spring piston lever capable of good steam along with a small manual lever, paired with a quality espresso hand grinder could put you in espresso heaven. *But the afflicition of leveritis may be clouding my judgement. *

Doug and Barb

Ill throw my vote in for the Gaggia Classic. Its an awesome machine, teamed with a Sunbeam or Rocky, it has made amazing coffee in my place for over two years now!

Quote Originally Posted by Hersch link=1212815769/0#0 date=1212815769

Much appreciated
    Hersch
    Just a thought
    If your coffee needs are only a few coffees per day spend most of your cash on a grinder and get a Presso or Aeropress

Other than that used a - Silvia or Gagia Classic
    I have seen a post that DJs have the sunbeam on special

KK

cremakid

Ill throw my vote in for the Gaggia Classic. Its an awesome machine
    My sentiments too and they can be picked up for around $499 new.

DJs still have Sunbeam EM6910s for $559 (20% off) in their mid-year clearance sale although it cant last much longer. At that price it would be hard to beat although, as 2mcm and Mal already said, a used Silvia for about $500 is also a real possibility. (The following thread discusses their relative benefits and also links to a great comparative review done by Greg Pulman - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1177174323/0.)

Good Luck

Scorpion