Thread: EM5600 modification confusion

EM5600 modification confusion

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Wow! Im getting a headache!

Im wanting to modify my machine with a non-pressurised filter and I just want to confirm that the info Ive got from a few sources (including here) is sending me in the right direction.

Most of the threads I read give advice for adding a non-pressurised PF to a Sunbeam EM4800. The machine Ive got is an EM5600, which apparently is effectively the same machine, so Im guessing (hoping) mods suggested for the 4800 will work.

Ive read that the Krups filter is good, but the Breville one is better (for this purpose), and the Breville part # for the filter is ESP4/51. When I rang to order one I was told they didnt have it, but DID have ESP2/41 which is for a different Breville machine, but exactly the same as the ESP4/51.

When I rang to order the Krups Group Head Seal (MS-620342), they didnt have it, but DID have a Breville seal (for an 800ES, I think) that is apparently exactly the same as the Krups.

So....... Ive looking at modifying my Sunbeam EM5600 with a Breville ESP2/41 1-2 cup filter and a Breville seal (not sure of the part #).

Am I on the right track??

DONT USE

Re: EM5600 modification confusion

hi SpeedBump
    Breville part # ESP4 / 51 is non-pressurised filter to suit most breville and sunbeam machines to replace the two cup dual floor filter

Brevill e part # 800ES/192 is the seal for most breville and sunbeam machines
    these are the numbers we use to order from breville
    (ach part used in a breville machine relates to the model of the machine, not to the individual part, even if used throughout the range)

the breville parts are usually easier to get
    the breville filter fits the pf tighter than the krups

these parts do not fit the EM6900 series

graham

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1214883549/0#1 date=1214892799
    hi SpeedBump
    Breville part # ESP4 / 51 is * *non-pressurised filter to suit most breville and sunbeam machines to replace the two cup dual floor filter

Brevill e part # 800ES/192 is the seal *for most breville and sunbeam machines
    these are the numbers we use to order from breville
    (ach part used in a breville machine relates to the model of the machine, not to the individual part, even if used throughout the range)
    graham
    Thanks for that info, graham! Thats exactly what Im after! So is part# ESP2 / 41 the same as ESP4 / 51? Or should I be insisting on ESP4 / 51?

DONT USE

same
    graham

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1214883549/0#3 date=1214957717
    same
    graham
    :D WooHoo! Ill go get them goodies tomorrow!!

Thanks, graham!!

Hi guys,

Having owned BOTH the Breville ESP2 and ESP4, Ive compared the baskets and actually found small differences.

The "double" baskets (marked "2-4 cup") are identical between the models, but the single baskets (which were talking about here) are subtly different.

Heres what I found:
    ESP2/41 = 22mm deep, 51mm ID (inside diameter) at top of basket, holds 18g coffee max.
    ESP4/51 = 19mm deep, 53mm ID, holds 16g coffee max. This model also has a slight ridge on top of the basket rim, which should provide a better seal against the group head. The older basket is flat on top.

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works there. For most intents and purposes, both baskets will behave the same. BUT, given that I have a Breville Café Roma with the tendency for the grouphead-basket seal to fail, I need all the help I can get (which means I prefer the ESP4/51 over the ESP2/41).

Hope it works out for you though!
    Cheers
    Stuart.

ps. Ill post pics when I get the other basket off my mate.

Im convinced Im an idiot!!

I bought the EM5600 on Friday (but it leaks and will have to go back (of course)), and I also picked up a Breville basket and seal. I asked for an ESP2/41 1-2 cup basket (my mistake, it seems, if its actually a 1 cup basket. Where did I get 1-2 cup basket from??).

Anyway - what I got LOOKS a similar size to the Sunbeam 2 cup pressurised basket that comes with the machine, but now Im guessing it isnt. Cause when I make the mornin cuppa for the missus and I its really weak!

SO - looks like I have to do 2 runs each morning, OR go buy a Breville 2-4 cup basket!

Man - doesnt matter HOW much research I do, I ALWAYS manage to stuff things up!!

Dont be too hard on yourself! Modding equipment is difficult and full of trial and error.

The basket you got (ESP2/41) is a "1-2 cup" filter. It holds 16g coffee, which is somewhere between 1-2 cups! I find that you need 20g of coffee for two good shots, personally. As such, I use this basket for single shots (using 11-12g coffee for a slightly richer cup).

If your shots are weak and watery, you probably need to look at grind and tamp. The pressurised basket KIND OF makes it easier to brew in that it "softens" the negative impacts of barista errors such as low does, weak tamp, coarse grind, uneven tamp etc. With a non-pressurised basket, you really need to get the grind and tamp right (dose too, but thatll be limited by the basket size).

For single shots from the 1-2 cup Bar Italia basket, use 10-14g coffee (pick an amount and stick with it for a while - alter the other variables). Then you can adjust the grind setting (assuming you have a decent grinder!) to get the right rate of extraction (one expresso, 30mL) in about 20-25 seconds (extracting any longer in a thermoblock machine like yours or mine can lead to burnt flavours, Ive found). Use a good tamper to give an even, smooth surface with a decent amount of pressure. Change one variable at a time until you get it right - or give up as soon as it starts tasting good, like I did! You WILL "waste" coffee doing all this. Put it in the budget under "professional development". :P

Hope that helps
    Cheers
    Stuart.

Ahh - alas I may have to revert to the pressurised 2 cup filter that came with the machine for most of my brews. My family has to get up extremely early and rush about in a panic to get off to school on time, so there simply isnt time to make 2 seperate cuppas. Unless I get up earlier and that AINT gunna happen!! Or I spend more money and go get the 2-4 cup filter. Have to say Im leaning toward the Sunbeam filter and leave the unpressurised for when I making a single cup (or on weekends when I have time to make 2)

Have to get myself a halfway decent tamper as well. And no, I cant justify over $100 for the amount of coffee we drink, so I think my limit there might have to be $30-$40.

Hi Speedbump,

Can you advise where you obtained the non-pressurised baskets for the 5600? Im looking to get both the 1-2 and the 2-4 for a friend of mine (after reading the CS forums I now know why the coffee from his 5600 is so bad and difficult to diagnose), and couldnt find the parts on any of the sponsor sites.

Im in Canberra if that helps.

Thanks

Sk

Hiya Skinner,

Probably wont be a lot of help to you coz Im up here in Qld. I got mine from Sparkys Electrical. If you do a search on the forums for Krups pressurised baskets, I seem to recall a thread where someone had posted a .pdf of service agents that had the Krups stuff, and a lot of those also had the Breville baskets. Good luck!

Just thought Id leave my findings hear for future searchers like myself...

I spoke with Premiere Instruments here (the distributor for most coffee machine/parts suppliers here in Cbr) who described the items as:

ESP4/51 = 1 cup filter
    ESP4/78 = 2 cup filter

They also had the 800ES seals in stock.
    Prices were $12 and $6 for the baskets and seals, respectively.

Ive asked for one of each to cure a mates awful-coffee woes with his EM5600 :)

Sk

Just an update on this one. Those part numbers do not seem guarantee a non-pressurised basket. I had to order one in specifically.