Thread: gaggia classic , steel or aluminium boiler?

gaggia classic , steel or aluminium boiler?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi all , am looking for some info on the gaggia classic ... does it have a typical gaggia aluminium boiler or steel boiler? do any gaggias have steel boilers? thanks

TC

Re: gaggia classic , steel or aluminium boiler?

Quote Originally Posted by rudebutt1 link=1215043207/0#0 date=1215043207
    hi all , am looking for some info on the gaggia classic ... does it have a typical gaggia aluminium boiler or steel boiler? do any gaggias have steel boilers? thanks
    Theyre aluminium....Look for copper or brass if you can afford it....

i know gaggias use aluminium on most machines but ive read on some websites that it has a steel boiler ... hence my confusion!
    am in the process of searching for a used machine for myself with a brass boiler (probably Lelit , nemox , quaha , spidem )
    and another one for my mum with steel boiler (via venezia)(gaggia classic crossed of the list now)

cremakid

The top half is aluminium and the bottom half is brass. The element is on the outside of the boiler so scaling is greatly reduced, no scale can adhere to the element as water is not actually passing over it. Have a look inside an electric jug with internal element thats about 6 mths old and you will see what I mean.
    I think the external element also helps with the fast heatup of the Classic and the element can not burn out due to lack of water.
    It also means the boiler space is not taken up with the element.

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/july2002.html has details on various boilers used in different machines. Not sure about accuracy and the page was posted 2002. It mentions all local Gaggias have aluminium boilers

Disclaimer: Link provided for pics only All referrals for Sales and Service mentioned on this page should be to CS sponsors (of course)

cremakid

It also mentions the brass bottom

Inside an 18 month old Gaggia boiler. The aluminium top has corroded, the chromed brass base is in perfect condition.

am going to stay away from gaggia then
    the steel boiler i read about refers possibly to european or older models ... (had an old 70s gaggia years ago and it had an all brass boiler ... those days are gone ...)

so i got a new machine ... actually got 2
    since i spread the word thru my friends and family i got offered an Imat mokita and Nemox napoletana ... not knowing which to get i bought both of them ...I had a laugh!! both are only year old and in very good condition .. and ill play with both of them for next 2 months and decide which to keep ...so far the Imat is winning !!

The new entry level gaggias the espresso range have a stainless steel boiler. *I have a black one and the espresso is pretty good however the body is ABS.....
    Apparently all the boilers will eventually be stainless in the baby range as well, so says a Myer salesgirl
    I have a thread on my buying experience from them, haggled em down :)

EDIT
    ok you have already bought a machine