Thread: Non-pressurized portafilter for Saeco Via Venezia

Non-pressurized portafilter for Saeco Via Venezia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone,

Im new to Coffee Snobs and have already learnt so much from this forum! Im currently on the hunt for a non-pressurized portafilter that would fit my Saeco Via Venezia domestic machine. Does anyone know where I can get one in Melbourne, or even order one online somewhere? I would prefer to get a separate PF rather than having to remove the bits from my current one to "depressurize" it.

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Cristen

Re: Non-pressurized portafilter for Saeco Via Vene

Hi Cristen,

Try this service centre in Sydney. *They may be able to post out to you. *The portafilter was about $40 when I bought one about three years ago. *Youll have to call as they dont seem to have a web site.

Unit 6
    100 Belmore Rd, Riverwood, NSW 2210

1300 730 233[ch8206]

Good luck
    Matt *:)

Thanks Matt, Ill definitely give them a call! What has your experience been with the unpressurized portafilter?

Btw I came across this post on coffeegeek.com, where this guy had totally removed the entire pressure regulator from his PF: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/343159

Dont think Ill be able to take it apart and put it back in one piece though! :P

Cristen,

It is very easy to make your current pf un-pressurised! Ive done it with no sweat at all. It might be worth trying it prior to shelling out money on a new one. That way you can reverse it if needed.

In saying that Id be interested to know if you manage to get one. I have seen on from a shop on evil bay that is shipped from Italy but it wasnt too expensive.

Hey Cristen,

If you cant get a proper un-pressurized portafilter try the modification in this thread.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1091413062/0

Its easy to do. *The only advantage of a the proper portafilters is that you can give them a decent whack on the knock box without having to worry about bits falling apart. *

As with all machines, fresh beans, a good grinder and proper tamping will make the difference. *The machine makes good shots but is not the greatest at steaming milk.

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks for all the advice, Michel_C and Matt!

Ok Ive emailed coffeeparts.com.au but they dont stock the Saeco range. Ive also emailed Saeco in Melbourne to see if they have one in stock. Ive not dealt with Saeco Melbourne before so I wonder what the customer service levels are like...? Although youd think that with the demand for non-pressurized PFs theyd make some to cater for the market!

Id definitely like to try getting a proper non-pressurized PF before attempting to pull mine apart, although the thread Matt posted had pretty good step-by-step picture instructions - thanks Matt :)

Will definitely post updates on how my search is going, and if I end up pulling my current VV PF apart or not!

Crsten ;D

Dont be worried, just unscrew the base and strip it all out.
    All you need to do is put the 3 screws back in. *Make sure you remove the false floor and the o-ring too.

Itll take you 5 minutes, but youll then need to source a good tamper to fit the basket. *Your coffee with improve exponentially.

sd

Hi Saeco does have a no-pressurised group handle, the part number is 226550250.

Saeco has phased out selling Via Venezia. They are still planing to supplying spare part for the unit in addition to there current spare parts supply.

That said Saeco Australia is notorious for running out of stock and not being able to get the parent company replenish it stocks.

ev

Cristen, I bought a non-pressurised PF from Saeco in Reservoir (Melbourne) a few years ago for my old Via Venezia. If this helps you, the PF was from a Saeco Bar 2000. Coupled with a good grinder, the Via Venezia was quite a capable machine.

Evan.

Hi everyone,

Thanks to all who have posted so far with advice, part names/no.s and photos - much appreciated :)

I emailed Saeco in Melbourne last week and they rang me back saying that they do have the part in stock. Its around $52 plus $10 postage. The guy said that it had a grey handle - does yours have a grey handle, Evan (it looks more like black in the photo)?

Anyway, will be placing my order next week! *excitement*

Cristen :)

Yeh, got one sometime ago from Saeco and I too got the grey one. Around $55 from memory

anyone had any problems with this purchased through Saeco? Mine sprays coffee everythwere as it obviously does not seal very well.

Should i return it or just really try to tighten it?

Hey Cristen,

If youd gone with the one I referred to in my PM, although a little more expensive, they have a black handle, are well built and work very well with the Saeco V/v. Lets hope yours works OK. Good luck.

Regards

Trevorbeans

No-one experienced what I have with their NON-PF for the VV ??

Hi all, i would also like to know what your experience with a Non-PF is like.
    Aswell as what type of tamp & where from $$$ ect.

Cheers,
    Shane

definitely de-pressurize the portafilter. either do the mod yourself (takes 5 minutes and theres earlier posts that describe this), or buy a new one (I personally wouldnt bother as the mod is very easy). the difference is dramatic but as you say you will need a new tamper. I had one made by our sponsor pullman, but there are other options out there. Im very happy with mine.

cheers,

sd

I depressurised mine a while back, & am really glad I did.

I found my Emide burr grinder wouldnt grind fine or even enough, so I had to tamp extra hard to try to slow down the flow.

After I upgraded to a mazzer mini, its all roses. My pours are good & whats in the cup tastes great.

The standard PF after you take out the gizmos is fine I reckon, I wouldnt bother purchasing the non pressurised one. A decent burr grinder is definitely needed though, as is a tamper ( I use a homemade redgum one).

Balattack, have you taken out the group seal & looked to see if you can get another, yours may be compressed from use, or you may be able to purchase one that is a little thicker.

Alternatively, & I havent had mine out to know this, you may be able to take out the seal & shim it from behind with a ring cut from some thin plastic from an ice cream container or similar. This could tighten up the fit & fix your problem.

Cheers..................Sean

Hey Scooter,

I love the sound of your tamper (Got a Pic) How it you make it ??

Does anyone have a correctly fitted tamp 4 the Via thats under $50.

Cheers,

Shane

I recently acquired a vv... look forward to hearing how your new pf goes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan link=1215413460/0#8 date=1215876872
    Cristen, I bought a non-pressurised PF from Saeco in Reservoir (Melbourne) a few years ago for my old Via Venezia. If this helps you, the PF was from a Saeco Bar 2000. Coupled with a good grinder, the Via Venezia was quite a capable machine.

Evan.
    FYI Saeco has now moved to Fairfield (Mel)

Gday Shane, posted up a pic of my tamper here.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1206164027/14#14

(Sorry, dunno how to post links properly on here. *:-[ )

Im a woodturner & make them on my lathe. Have made a couple of different shaped ones for some other coffee enthusiasts, but I like the squat shape of mine.

Cheers...................Sean

Well Done Scooter !!!

It looks great. You should start selling them.
    What would you charge? ;)

Cheers,

Shane

PS What size is the filter for the Via 51 or 52mm ?

Ah, maybe you better PM me. :)

PF size - dont know offhand, I just made the tamper to fit. Will measure & post back.

Cheers....................Sean

sdg

Quote Originally Posted by scooter link=1215413460/20#20 date=1217508296
    (Sorry, dunno how to post links properly on here. :-[ )
    Whats wrong with your link? -- worked for me ;)

Loved the tamper btw -- its got me thinking -- Ive got quite a bit of redgum round the place, so all I need is the lathe ::)

ev

Quote Originally Posted by Cristen link=1215413460/0#9 date=1215878172
    Hi everyone,

Thanks to all who have posted so far with advice, part names/no.s and photos - much appreciated :)

I emailed Saeco in Melbourne last week and they rang me back saying that they do have the part in stock. Its around $52 plus $10 postage. The guy said that it had a grey handle - does yours have a grey handle, Evan (it looks more like black in the photo)?

Anyway, will be placing my order next week! *excitement*

Cristen :)
    Sorry about the late response Cristen. Yes, mine did come with a black handle. I suppose youve got yours by now?

Evan.

Quote Originally Posted by Balattack link=1215413460/0#13 date=1216864803
    No-one experienced what I have with their NON-PF for the VV ??
    I just realised I got my Nin-PF without a filter basket. is this something that should have been included or need to get separate?

I noticed they sell 53mm baskets on the net, but they mention that they are only for San Marco Machines. Can I use these?

Thanks

No, completely different size / shape.

Remove the filter from your pressurised group handle and slip it into your other one....

They are sold as separate items so if you ordered a (non pressurised) group handle only, there is no reason why the filter would be included.

Tangential comment:
    I have never understood why anyone would go to the extra expense and trouble of purchasing a non pressurised group handle, when as far as I know you get about the same effect in the brew if you simply fill and tamp the pressurised handle as if it were a non pressurised type.

Regardz,
    Attilio.

They dont have them...ANyone know where I can get a basket for the VV ??

Hi Balattack,

You can get them from Saeco

http://www.saeco.com.au/

There pretty cheap from memory

Cheers,
    Shane

According to Wayne White, Saeco no longer supplies an alternate portafilter for the VV discontinued by Saeco. I posted earlier inquiries regarding better crema with VV and went by the way of a better grinder recommended by this forum . I purchased a Isomac Professionale for $260 and very happy with the outcome. Thanks

if anyone is Sydney is looking for one of these caffe bianchi in Leichhardt has then in stock with the black handle for $45.50

Just picked one up today :)

Re: Non-pressurized portafilter for Saeco Via Venezia

Is this pressurised or non pressurised? Does it come with a small and large basket? I have been looking for one of these for a while.

I rang Cafe Bianchi on Wednesday and got one sent to me , they also have the two sizes in the baskets total cost was $60 including postage. the lady I dealt with was very helpfull and said they had a good few of the porta filters and baskets in stock.

I was really pleased to see this thread. I have two via venezias - one at home and the other at our holiday cottage. I had done the spring removal thing on the original portafilters, but was conscious of the risk of old coffee remaining inside these and the fuss to unscrew the portafilter to clean.

I had tried a number of possible sources including Saeco in Melbourne (a waste of time - 2 emails and not a sign of a response), a couple of USA sites that believe the world ends at their border and therefore only post internally and also a couple of small businesses none of whom responded.

Finally I contacted Cafe Biannchi and had a swift reply confirming they had stock. Credit card details were duly provided and the portafilters were on their way to my son in Melbourne for trans shipment to NZ. On the basis of the service received from the people at Cafe Biannchi, I want to congratulate them on their excellent customer service and recommend them to any other coffee snobs.

Now I wait anxiously for the parcel from Melbourne to arrive so I can have a play with these nice new shiny toys!

If anyone is interested there is a video of it to "depressurize" which is easy to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRwPI59kmvc