Thread: building a breville 800

building a breville 800

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    This is my first post on this forum and ill start by saying that I have two years of barista experience between one mediocre shop and one pretty high class coffee shop and I have never touched an automatic espresso machine, nor do I ever want to. Im definitely not an expert on espresso, but Im not a total newbie, either.

Ive always wanted to get a Silvia, but yesterday I went bargain shopping and picked up a Breville 800esxl for $75. I know it has gotten mixed reviews but i couldnt pass it up. That being said, it was just the machine, and none of the required parts, so i get to start from the ground up! Pretty exciting, i think. It has never even been plugged in, until yesterday when i tested it out. My question is, which parts do i get?

Most forums say that the depressurized porta filter is a must. Does depressurizing just require getting a different filter basket(like the krups one), or the entire porta filter and basket?

Do I need to get the breville froth enhancer, or is that just a gimmick? Ive never used one with the powerful commercial machines im used to.

Where can i get a cheap tamp instead of the fancy $50+ rigs?

Will my burr grinder that I use for my drip coffee do the trick temporarily until I can get my hands on a doser?

Re: building a breville 800

Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs! :)

Im a lot newer at this than you, but you wont ever need a froth enhancer if youve used commercial machines - youll just find your 800 steam wand less powerful and therefore slower than youd expect. You may need to use smaller jugs than youre used to as well. If youre used to using two-hole wands, the single hole needs a slightly different technique but youll master that quickly by surfing the top of the milk and keeping the wand near the side of the jug to assist the whirlpool to commence.

What brand/model is your burr grinder?

Ill leave the other questions for people who own a modified 800 (I owned a Breville Cafe Roma until recently). What size is the basket?

psaigh

wow, 75!! Bargain!! Youll definately need un-presurised baskets. Its just the basket, nothing else need and they should cost you between 10 and $15 (for the krups ones, not sure about the breville non-pressurised). Stay well clear of the froth enhancer. And Ive used anything up to 600ml jugs with good results.
    As for your grinder, only youll know when you get un-pressurised filters. When my 800 was paired with my k10 I was getting better tasting coffee at home than in the cafe. When it was paired with the sunbeam 480 it produced a fine everyday cup, but with little clarity of nuances as an espresso, but still a damn fine cup.
    I picked up a dodgy 51mm aluminuim tamp for around $30 from my local roaster which worked quite well, hunt around, they shouldnt be too hard to find.

Also check out
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1212582593
    for some important info on ramping up to the brewing temp.

Welcome fauxhenrys.

What grinder do you have?

Thanks for the help guys.

I have a La Pavoni grinder. I looked it up on their site and I dont think they make it anymore. Im attaching a picture.

So I need to pick up the filter holder from breville for $30, a krups basket or two(this one? http://www.krupsonlinestore.com/prod...&MENU=&SKW=880 ), probably a 20 oz pitcher, a tamp, then I can start pulling shots. Eventually i should get a small knock box, a better grinder, some decalcifying solution, and maybe a rubber mat after i get everything running.

So are there any problems with the krups filter basket fitting? It goess right in?

the froth enhancer was the first thing I ripped of mine when I bought new 3 years ago, and as to the pressurised baskets, well *used them because I didnt fully understand the principal at the time, but since I bought the new VBM Domobar which has normal baskets I decided to machine out the bottom of the old breville basket, I primarily used the double basket, the single when I machine the base out was fairly clean, but the double
    looked like this in spite of me flushing it out after each use, only the centre 20 odd holes were still flowing

this made for wet pucks, I feel even if you soaked this in a cleaning solution you could never be sure it would be clean like this with the base cut out

sdg

Oh man, that is gruesome... ;D

What tool did you use to cut the base out like that? Such a perfect cut well done!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyhc link=1216835410/0#7 date=1217713713
    What tool did you use to cut the base out like that? Such a perfect cut well done!
    small machine lathe with a tungsten tipped bit, I wouldnt really try this with a handheld tool like a dremel.

otherwise if the insert part could be bumped out then a jewellers saw could be used to cut out the base, then clean the inside edge up with a file or dremel, finally replace the insert.

I got in my pf and the un-pressurized krups basket. My tamp hasnt come in yet, but Im pretty sure that my grinder cant grind fine enough so that will be my next purchase. That, and a knock box...

What kind of Portafilter did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by 4663581710220 link=1216835410/8#8 date=1217735068
    small machine lathe with a tungsten tipped bit, I wouldnt really try this with a handheld tool like a dremel.

otherwise if the insert part could be bumped out then a jewellers saw could be used to cut out the base, then clean the inside edge up with a file or dremel, finally replace the insert.
    Ive used an angle grinder to do this mod but you need to leave a small amount of metal around the edges of the insert base else it will eventually blow off the bottom since it is only an interference fit.

You can use the PF from any of the 53mm Sunbeams or Brevilles - both the brass and the aluminium ones fit. The brass ones would hold heat a lot better but would cost a lot more than the aluminium ones.