Thread: Which coffee machine - EM5600/EM5800 or another?

Which coffee machine - EM5600/EM5800 or another?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

I am new to Coffeesnobs and think this is a great site. *My previous experience was limited to reviewing articles in publications like Choice, but I have since realised the error of my ways and wont go down that path again!

I am considering buying a coffee machine, and am relatively new to the whole thing. *My only prior experience was last year, when I purchased a Magimix lEspresso Program Automatic, which was a complete disaster and I had to return it after encountering problems with a leaking group and other issues on three separate occasions. *Yes, I had it fixed, but these issues kept coming up within the first two mopnths of buying it, so I thought best to cut my losses and return it. * Of course, the decision to buy itr in the first place was partly based on the Choice article. *Say no more!!

I am now looking to purchase something relatively simple and at the lower end of the price range. *The two machines that keep getting my attention are the Sunbeam EM5600 and the EM5800. *

Does anyone have a recommendation on which of these they would go for, or indeed is there another machine I should be considering given my price range (which is about $400 at most) and level of experience?

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Which coffee machine - EM5600/EM5800 or anothe

ill get in first and say what everyone else will say...do you have a decent grinder? *as you will notice on reviewing this site, the grinder is the limiting factor and you need to spend at least a couple of hundred dollars on one (preferably more). *If your budget is 400 all up then youre quite limited. *Id look at spending all 400 on the grinder and then look to invest in a second hand machine.

regarding the machine...it will depend in part upon what kind of drinks and how many you need to do at one time. *

if you provide these details regarding usage, grinder and max budget, youll get some more useful advice *;)

sd

Hi Smokeydeck,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I do have a grinder, yes. I got one of those at the time I bought that last terrible machine. So I realistically have a budget of around $400 for the machine itself.

In terms of usage, it is unlikely I will be making any more than 3-4 coffees per day on average, except perhaps on weekends! But during the week I would say usage would average around 3-4 coffees per day at most. I would probably generally only make one at a time, sometimes two (and sometimes more when people are over for dinner etc). Lattes will be the big preference.

Many thanks.

Welcome Damog.

What grinder do you have?

Id have a punt and say the Sunbeam EM450 or 480 is the minimum for a grinder, and also suggest the Gaggia Cubkia as a few mates are quite happy with theirs. Apart from being able to pick them up sub $250 occasionally [norm is $290-330], they have a boiler and not a thermoblock, a commercial-size grouphead, and are apparently not a bad little machine for the price.

Having said the above...Im using a Sunbeam EM4800C which I picked up for $180 and think its the ducks guts for me at the moment. Its sitting here wisping a little steam, right next to my PC, from my last cuppo. Honestly? I think its fine for me at the moment, and I cant wait to score some unpressurised baskets for it.

The main advantage of the 5600+ series is that they have presets and temperature control as well as pre-infusion...which you either like or dont.

Cheers - boingk