Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aldi Espresso machine

brad74

Aldi Espresso machine

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Aldi have a new espresso machine with Temperature guage (from next thursday 21st). *I can not find any specs on this machine on the net. *I am assuming it is a thermoblock with pressurised baskets but who knows. *The temp guage is intersting for this price bracket, *I would be interested to see how it goes, *from the pictures i cant actually see any Temp Values on the guage so it is probably a bit dodgy. *Any way, thought I would post it incase anybody interested.

PS. *If anybody can find specs please link them.

I am assuming Im not permitted to link the webpage from aldi so I didnt.

Re: Aldi Espresso machine

Espresso Machine
    ea $ 249 *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15-bar Italian electromagnetic pump
    Die cast aluminium housing
    1L water tank capacity
    Steam nozzle
    Temperature gauge
    Power indicator light
    Includes additional filters, coffee stamper and stainless steel jug
    Available in red or black

brad74

Yep, thats the one. I wasnt sure what I could or couldnt post so I didnt.

If anybody could find the Specs that would be good. I have searched but cant find anything on Lumina Signature Espresso Machine. I dont really need them as Im not going to purchase one, im just curious.

And for just $7.99 you can get a matching grinder...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis link=1218674704/0#3 date=1218678470
    And for just $7.99 you can get a matching grinder...

Good one Den.

Yeah I could tink of a zillion other things to waste $249 on. They look like osme of the other machines out there though. I think Delonghi and that Francis thing look like that dont they?

Its an Aldi machine trying to be a Synesso with the lever for the steam - love it hahahaha

mwatt

Hee hee, onion coffee. Nicely played Den ;D

Though it looks like a big step up from the $60 they put out a few years back.

It looks alright to me. I found the same unit here.

http://tinyurl.com/65dvvx

Maybe Im just a sucker for red. ::)

Well spotted antman.

yep. i wouldnt put any real expectations upon it. I would doubt its capabilities somewhat...

Ray.

Found the company website. It looks like all they make are coffee machines. Be interesting to see if the are any good. You never know they might be a bargain. Ill wait for someone else to try first though...

http://yz-jinmao.fuzing.com/

caveat emptor!

i think the previous link is only a trading company in china. the actual manufacturer is http://www.wingkin.cc/newEbiz1/EbizPortalFG/portal/html/index.html. I have tried to upload some brochures (only 110 KB) but i keep on getting this error message This attachment causes the attachments directory to exceed its maximum capacity by approximately 1106 kilobytes and cannot be uploaded.

maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

mario

Yes, dont upload the brochures. The link above is quite sufficient.

Mike

thank you speleomike,

i would have 2 gloss brochures if I could upload them but as you mentioned you can get all the specs on the manufacturers website.

I have tried the machine last week as we have ordered 5 samples and while it looks really funky and makes reasonable coffee, the steam however is on of the weakpoints. As are the operation procedures when you turn the machine on. The ground coffee operation was disapointing so far. We had far better results with other machines half the price. But i will not make my final judgement yet as I believe there are parts missing or something on our machines.

On the positive side, the machine is solid & heavy build, looks great and it is value for money because i can tell you Aldi is not making much profit on this thing. You can get similar machines if you want the retro look but dont take my word for it about quality or anything else as i dont have "ABSOLUTELY NO" interest in any of them. I believe all of them are available in red, black, etc...

mod edit- commercial links removed. Please read site sales and posting policy

If anyone is interesting i will give you an update in the next day or so.

regards

Mario

This Aldi espresso machine looks very much like the famous Italian Francis!Francis! X1. Same color range, same oval head with round thermometer and retro look switches.

http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/firstlook/francisfrancisx1

Only, the Francis!Francis! X1 retails for around au$700 and is made in Italy. The Aldi machine is made in China with an Italian made high pressure water pump. The Aldi Advertising is written on purrpose such as to mislead the reader. The first line in the ad says:

"- 15 bar italian"

the second line says:

"electromagnetic pump"

If the unwary shopper reads each line on its own, he is lead to believe its an italian machine. Only if you read both lines together, it becomes clear only the pump is Italian. Not a nice marketing trick from Aldi.

My recommendation: if you always liked the FrancisFrancisX1, but could never afford the original, go and buy this Aldi offer. Take it home, try it out a few days and maybe have a look under the covers. If not 100% happy, bring it back for a full refund - this is the Aldi policy. If you keep it, I think Aldi gives a 1 year warranty (bring to Aldi store and pick up when repaired or exchanged). I would not expect the Chinese machine to last 5 years though. Me personally, I still have a 1991 Swiss made Turmix, and would NOT even consider to trade it for a new Aldi machine.

Chris

Hi all

Thanks for the links. Its nice to compare two machines side by side. My first opinion was that Aldi is buying a Chinese ripoff of another manufacturers machine. When I saw the Aldi add the machine looked familiar.

Now thanks to the CSers here posting links I can really compare machines. There are some similarities at first glance with the Francis! X1 but as one looks closer its realy only the oval face that is really similar. Thats what was familiar.

The trunk: As one looks closer one sees the trunk of the Chinese one is more rounded like a tree trunk and not flat like the Francis. The Francis continues the lines of the trunk into the base which is also flatish in appearance. The Chinese one very nicely also continues the rounded lines of the trunk ino the base, have a look at the pic posted by KK at the top. The inward curving lines of the trunk blend to the outward curve of the base, this is quite nice I think.

The front panel: this has the dial more to the fore and encased in a larger diameter circular bezel that is part of the case - quite different to the Francis. I think the Chinese one is quite nice. The cup warmers are on the left and right of this circular bulge. The Francis has them in a ring on the top. The Chinese factory has clearly had their own artistic design people working on this.

In summary I think its a nice looking Chinese machine. It looks Italian but there are enough differences from the Francis and enough new design elements that I will amend my opinion to "its a good Chinese design" not a copy.

What its like inside though and how it lasts only CSers who buy it will be able to tell. As someone mentioned above if its heavy and solid that is a plus. It may turn out to be a piece of crap or may well end up being one of the first classic Chinese coffee machines. At that price its a good gamble.

Mike

:) Sorry, you are correct, this Lumina Signature machine looks much more like a copy of the Francis!Francis X6 and X7 models espresso machines. With a round neck and round base. By the way, FrancisFrancis is an Italian company owned by Illy (Illy is a large multinational coffee roaster).

Here the link to the X6 Trio. Designed by Luca Trazzi, and made in steel and plastic (not cast aluminium and plastic like the Chinese copy):
    http://www.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/us/illy/at-home/francis-francis-machines/for-ese-pods/

And here a link to the FrancisFrancis X7 (for espresso capsules)
    http://www.illy.com/wps/wcm/connect/US/illy/at-home/francis-francis-machines/for-hyper-espresso-capsules/francisfrancis-for-iperespresso-capsules

I have bought over the years many chinese made goods from Aldi (LCD TVs, DVD recorders, digital camera, petrol generator, tools and more.......). All were made in China, no exception. Some I am quite happy with, good value for money. Some I kept but am not really happy with and wish I had returned them whilst I could. Some I returned and bought good brand name quality instead, for much more money of course. With low cost Chinese appliances, look our for inferior plastic parts that easily break or are not light proof, paint is unlikely of the two pak quality and will usually not last for too long (discolors and chips and sometimes is not even solvent/alcohol proof), inferior grade metal alloys used that may feel heavy but are not strong at all, chromium plating that peels off soon because not correctly applied, rubber seals that wear too quick, parts that should not rust may rust, inferior grade screws, strange noises whilst operating..... Aldi electronic goods are usually surprisingly good for the money, the more mechanical goods less so.

This is not to say all Chinese made items are bad. The Chinese can make very high quality stuff too. But not THAT much cheaper than our western made counterparts. Chinese factories are very good at delivering exactly the kind of quality
    the purchaser (in this case ALDI, but it can be any other importer ordering a containerload at a time) wants to pay for.

Chris

I have never owned a coffee machine and the wife has just started looking for one. I am concerned its going to be a dust collector but at least this Aldi model looks stylish while collecting dust. If it makes a decent coffee i spose thats just a bonus and who knows the wife may end up making me regular coffees so it could pay off. The other option i have looked at is the Breville. The Cafe Roma is currently around $120 which i was happy to outlay knowing it may end up at the back of the cupboard. I would be very interested in hearing how you go with yours Mario.

Andrew

Id be waiting too on some feedback before deciding on outlaying money on this one.

Some Aldi purchases of mine have been excellent and others have been real lemons.

Gar

It might look nice in a display home kitchen, along with the bowl of plastic fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar link=1218674704/20#20 date=1219058441
    *along with the bowl of plastic fruit.

...thats probably just down the aisle from the machines. ::)

Hi All, the good lady of the house went and bought the Aldi machine, i must say it does not appear to be to bad,the truck is to get your coffee grind right, ive just returned home with a Sunbeam conical burr grinder and having tried the machine with fresh beans, grinder set to 3.5 the coffee it produces is quite acceptable also the steam wand produces a fair amount of steam when you follow the manufactures instructions. as the wife likes the look of the machine i think it will be a stayer lets see how long it works for. ;=) previous to this machine ive had an Gaggia,and a Sunbeam fully automatic machine

Welcome to Coffee Snobs doff.

3.5?

What model grinder?

the grinder is a Sunbeam Em0430 i realise this is a budget model but the good wife would kill me if i brought a more expensive one home ;=) I had a laugh i guess its okay for starters.

We purchased the Aldi unit today and made a cracker brew. Not bad for $249. Like you say though time will tell.

You guys are either very brave or have plenty of money and dont mind the risk.......

Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C link=1218674704/20#26 date=1219320993
    You guys are either very brave or have plenty of money and dont mind the risk.......

Ray.
    ;D

brad74

Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1218674704/20#27 date=1219328109

Ray.
    ;D
    While admit there is a small risk with an unknown machine this isnt a 2k machine. *There is no reason that this machine wont last as long or be as good as any other in the price range, *most machines in this price range are probably made in china so that shouldnt even be a consideration. *This machine uses a Boiler (not thermoblock), *it has some sort of temp guage and looks a crap load better than any other in this price range. *Theoretically this unit is miles ahead for $249. *I had so much trouble trying to get the wife to approve my first machine and many were rejected based on looks, *If I was in the market for a first machine I would be considering this.

There are a few things I would like to know (and probably others)....so if anyone can update with the following

Size of Boiler....I am assuming 120ml as this is common for small aluminium boilers
    Pressurised, non-pressurised or both (Just asking although I am fairly sure I know the answer)
    Size of Baskets if need to replace with non-pressurised baskets (if there are any that match the size) *

Also I would like to know the accuracy of the Temp guage but without the right equipment that is a bit hard so I doubt that info would be around for a while

Quote Originally Posted by YeeZa link=1218674704/20#27 date=1219328109

Ray.
    ;D
    so what machine would you suggest for under 500?

Coffee stamper I had a laugh :p

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1218674704/0#1 date=1218677317
    Espresso Machine
    ea $ 249 *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15-bar Italian electromagnetic pump
    Die cast aluminium housing
    1L water tank capacity
    Steam nozzle
    Temperature gauge
    Power indicator light
    Includes additional filters, coffee stamper and stainless steel jug
    Available in red or black

Hi Ezralimm

Maybe they are teaching us a new language. Stamper is the Danish word for tamper and Stampfer is the German word for tamper.

Ray.

Well Ray as previously mentioned the unit is not too bad for the price range and lets face it most of the sub $500.00 machines are made in China and who know could all be rolling of the same factory line, agreed quality standards do vary between brands but all in all not a bad machine and it does pour a decent cuppa. as to the live span of the unit who knows but it has a 12month warranty with it and buying it from Aldi if you keep all the packaging and you are not happy over the next 60 days pack it back up take it to Aldi with your Proof of purchase and get your money back. so it really is no risk buying.

Theo

Has anybody any further info about the Aldi machine? Had a look at it yesterday in store and it looks great. Ive got an Atomic (stove-top) capuccino machine that used to make reasonable coffee, but hasnt for a while. I dont know whether its the grind, or that the machine needs cleaning. But Ive looked at the amazing photos of coffee that you guys have posted (the pics look almost x-rated, for some reason), and I realise I have never ever been able to make that sort of coffee at home.

I did a home barista course some time ago and one of the other people brought along a Breville professional 800 programable machine, which made great coffee. So i had planned getting one of those, but maybe a cheaper version. Then someone on your site said the Sunbeam cafe ristretto was quite good, but you have to depressurise the filter (whatever that means).

Am totally confused. I can afford about $300, so dont think its worth contacting a sponsor, as their machines seem about the same price as a secondhand car.
    Someone else said buy a good grinder, but what is a good grinder?
    Would love some help.
    Incidentally, love the site. All that talk about home roasting, and the language,,, Where do you learn to speak coffee?
    Jeannie

Jeannie,

If you are on a $300 budget AND like the particular retro styling, run to Aldi and hope there is one left. Aldi uses this sort of "special offers" to attract buyers to their supermarkets. There usually only are a limitied few units assigned to each shop. Some very desirable specials are sold out the first hours of the first day. Some others may last for weeks and months.

The thing about having to "de-pressurise the filter" on a Breville: its about the cup you put the ground coffee into, some also call this a basket.

In the good old days this simply was a stamped stainless steel cup with a large number of small holes at the bottom. How long it took for the water to travel through this cup depended on how fine the coffee was ground, how firmly one tamped (compressed, stuffed) it into the cup, and other things (such as water pressure/temperature....). People had to try out different combinations and experiment and learn for a while in order to get a good coffe. Some found that a fun thing to do, others not so. The terms "pressurised basket" and "non pressurised basked" were still unknown.

So the industry invented the "pressurised basket": this cup has a double (or hollow) bottom, on the inside are several holes or a very fine mesh, at the bottom one very small single hole. The coffee brew is forced through this small hole, causing a back pressure (hence the name pressurized basket). The flow rate is now nearly independant from how fine the coffee is ground and how hard it is tamped. And the coffee brew now being forcefully pressed through the one small hole causes it to foam up, resulting in something that looks like real crema froth. In other words, a "folproof method". Much less espresso machines returned as unsuitable or faulty when in reality the users did simply not care to learn how to use them.

Trouble is, a coffee made in a "pressurized basket" tastes stale and dead, the crema is artificial.
    Like comparing real handmade whipped cream (made from pure cream free of thickener and chemical flavors) with these modern aerosol creram cans. So industry came up with the idea of supplying both types of baskets, in both single and double size, to satisfy all user needs. Unfortunately, baskets cost money to make, so for the cheaper machines one has to buy it separately, and for the cheapest these are not even readily available.

Chris

PS: YOU ASK "where do you learn to speak coffe"?

Me personally, I am from Europe and have spent some time in France and Italy, that is the "coffee language" I like most. But you know, different countries have different traditions and methods. If in Turky I like to have Turkish coffee, with the finely ground coffe at the bottom of the cup. I have also had the chance to work in some coffe producing countries, like Uganda and the Ivory Coast. About the only really revolting coffee experience when travelling was.... in London, coffe in a tea bag.

Chris

Thank you for that detailed and very clear explanation of what a pressurised basket is. From your description, I think the Atomic has one of these, which means the frothy crema that appears about halfway through the brewing process probably isnt crema at all, but just bubbles produced by the pressure. Yet I have made quite passable coffee with that machine, in the past.

Since writng my previous post I have discovered the second page of Aldi machine posts, and it seems a few people have found the machine okay. So there probably wont be any left in the store. Will look anyway.

Another question - does anyone know how to make Egyptian-style coffee. Some years ago I bought one of those metal cup things with a wooden handle in Cairo. It is used to make an indivisual serving of Egyptian coffee. I know you mix the coffee and sugar and water together and then, presumably, put the cup over the heat. But do you add boiling water? And what grind of coffee? Anyone know?

Jeannie

Jeannie

I believe the Egyptian coffee is what Chris was talking about (Turkish Coffee). Greek folks also drink it and is brewed as you say. The trick is to let it boil to the brim, this creates the creama (light coffee film on top). Havent had it with milk though. Not sure if you can drink this type of coffee with milk because of the thick coffee residue on the bottom.

As for the Aldi machine...... some good and some not so good points. Yes the unit does brew a great coffee but am a little disappointed with the water pump. It leaks! I think its a design fault and might return because of that. It takes a little long to fire up the steam wand.... not sure if its just my unit.

Jeannie, I am no expert, but to me all "traditional style" coffees in arab countries look and taste very similar. In some countries they add a pinch of things like cardamon, salt, chicory (during WW2 chicory was used in Europe to "stretch" scarse coffe), and who knows what else seeds or spices.

essentially, the copper or brass cup is filled halfway or so with water and extremely finely ground coffee (I would call it almost coffe dust ot flour) and a generous amount of sugar. Then you put it over fire. It will foam up, remove a few seconds, back on the fire.... and so forth a few times. The result is a very fine and fine, thick froth. The traditional shape of the cups as well as the materials these are made from may change from country to country. There are alsosome involved techniques like pouring it wit with stretched arm over one meter long distances from cup to cup back and forth....

No idea what coffe beans they use, but remember the North Africans "invented" coffee-roasting some 1000 yers ago, the Arabs took on the knowledge some 500 years ago, and only quite recently did Italians and the rest of Europe learn about these beans.

Chris

Heres one thread on "Greek coffee".
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1210739645

And this one is probably better.
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1174113535/0

The last Aldi machine a friend bought sprayed steam everywhere and failed after 2-3 months of use :)

Well, I took the plunge and bought the Aldi machine. It does look great, but had a few problems getting it going. The instructions tell you to run a cup of plain water through it first without the filter handle in place. When I did this the machine made the most awful grinding noise. Got through to the customer service people (eventually) and the guy explained the pump was running dry, and I needed to pull the steam lever down while running it the first time. When I did that it was fine. Why dont they tell you these things in the booklet? He also explained how the water tank filler thing at the back opened. I guess everyone else knows this stuff.
    Anyway, managed to make some coffee, though the filter handle seems a bit rough when you fit it in and swing around. The first few times water leaked out around the filter when making the coffee, but that stopped when I used less coffee and tamped it less. Good crema, but need to find a way of keeping the coffee hot while I steam the milk, which takes an age (thats after youve waited for the water temperature to reach steaming level). And the milk froth wasnt fine.
    Im curious to know how the water gets out of the filter bit and into the cup - it appears to have only a tiny pin prick of a hole. And is it okay to just empty and rinse the filter between making cups? I couldnt seem to take it apart and clean it properly.
    Also, any tips on steaming the milk? It takes so long. The booklet tells you to move the jug in circles, but I was taught to hold the jug still.

Thanks for the info on Egyptian coffee, guys. Ill try that when Ive de-caffed a bit.
    Jeannie

Hi Jeannie, the thing i do before making my coffee is run the pump without the basket attached and place the cup im using under the showerhead this fill put some hot wate into the cup to pre warm it whilst this is happening i load the filter and tamp it by then the cup is nice and warm. this has kept my coffee hot and as soon as ive done the shot i flick the switch upfor the steam to be enabled this does take about 45 Sec to 1 min but then i have great steam, i just rinse the filter between shots, but i do run the pump as per my opening statement after each pour ive found this "cleanes" the shower head from any remaining coffee grounds.
    Hope this makes sense. :o

Doff

Actually picked one (in the shop didnt buy it ;) ) up to have a look at.

First impressions from 10 what a great looking bit of decor for the kitchen.

A few sharp edges on the metal and to much powdercoating around the wet areas for my liking and likely to promote rusting. Non flat top is stupid and would be better as a flat tray.

Portafilter looked ok (aluminium) but plenty of ridges and traps to stop whatever Crema it makes getting out :( Makes my Solis look good (going naked soon :) ). Personally for those owning one I would be getting the drill out and enlarging the holes as a minimum or removing the base totally it shouldnt cause any problems apart from if you need to take it back (and you may well need to).

Very Very light so the question has to be what did they leave out. No evidence from the outside as to boiler or thermoblock(s) internally or any real info on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by beanflying link=1218674704/40#42 date=1219739253
    A few sharp edges on the metal and to much powdercoating around the wet areas for my liking and likely to promote rusting.
    Hmm, I dont think this little baby would be in service long enough for it to rust. ::)

Hmmmm I was being gentle in my observations ;) the baby Breville and similar ones at the Good Guys looked much better for not much more but I am not going to buy any of them either ::).

Aldi was worth the trip Bag Clips $2 for 20 and $34.95 DVD player for the spare TV 8-)

Thanks Doff for your advice re using the Aldi machine. I had another go this morning and although the coffee isnt bad, the milk frothing doesnt seem to work very well at all. Maybe its just me, though my Atomic made better froth (when it still did that). In another thread someone is talking about a Breville machine that seems to do a better job. Has anyone compared the two?

Oh, and thanks to the techno who examined the paint etc. I wouldnt know a thing about that, though it sounds worrying, and he (must be a he, right?) is right about the curved warming area being silly, but it doesnt do much heating of cups anyway - I used hot water. What I do find confusing is the fact you have to put the switch up to turn the machine off. I spent ages waiting for the water to cool down (to make more coffee) before realising Id switched the machine off. Isnt the convention to switch down to turn on?
    Re the temperature gauge, I dont think its very accurate. The instructions tell you to go by the warning light, not the gauge.

Still, Im learning.

Jeannie

Hi All,
    I have the Aldi Machine. I had to take it back as I could not bleed it but the second one was OK as I rang the help line and got further instructions. any way I am experimenting for a week with different grinds to acheive a similar tast to the Krupps I have. I think this will make a perfect cup when using the pods as the pod is contained in the seal on the machine. I found it to be a bit messy. I dont like the idea of the rubber seal at the machine sinking into the coffee at the tamper. all so when removing & placing the drip tray watch out you dont chip the paint at the body. I had to modify the tray with a file to remove sharp edges, the same with the tangs and I noticed inside the cast tamper is not machined the rubber seal will have to do a mighty job contain this pressure, I removed the flash around the die line but I dont thik the seal will last too long, may be thats why you get spares with the unit. I all so found the shower head is small when comparing it to the tamper therfore not all the coffee is under pressure? Any way when compared to other machines for the same price this one really stands out. It gives you a hot cup of coffee and the most important thing is you get 250ML of coffee before the thermostat cuts back in. I gave my unit a good polish with car wax, now the paint does not look patchy. Well worth the money.

Wow Rayadelic, is that the Aldi coffee machine youre talking about? I felt like I was at the mechanics and not understanding a word (as usual). How do you bleed the machine, and whats the flash around the die line. Are we talking about the same machine? I bought the Aldi machine last Monday but am thinking of taking it back. The coffee doesnt taste as good as the coffee I make with a stove-top Atomic (as long as you only use the Atomics first cups worth) and its such a lot of work and mess. It takes ages to heat the milk and I cant get it to froth properly.

You seem to be happy with it, but perhaps youre enjoying the tinkering. Just love the bit about you polishing the machine up with car polish. You are joking arent you? I hate to think of the effect the polish fumes, plus the coffee, will have.

Jeannie, hi.
    Bleeding is like purging the air lock out of the system till the water comes through. Take a look at the surface where the thin seal sits, notice the round indentations? now look closer at the periphery, notice the step, thats called FLASH. For a seal to work adeqully the surface must be smooth & flat, therefore it must be machined. (a bit like the surface of your disk brake rotor of your car) around what we call 3.2 micron roughness average, a casting is around 20Ra. Dont even bother with the steam wand, I only use it for the espresso. I only polished the red paint, it does not affect the coffee. I reccomend you persevere with it and experiment with different blends then grinds and milk too. I use Farmhouse it takes the bitter off the Peaburry. Good luck with your ornament

Jeannie,
    Any luck with the machine or are you taking it back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast