Thread: Breville Cafe Roma non-pressurised PF basket

Breville Cafe Roma non-pressurised PF basket

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    With the extreme difficulty of getting a non-pressurised PF basket for the Café Roma, I decided to take desperate measures. The Café Roma’s pressurised basket has a double bottom. The very bottom has a single tiny hole that provides the back pressure. I drilled out the hole with a 1.5mm drill. Voila - no back pressure. This improved control but still the shots weren’t great. It didn’t work at all with pre-ground supermarket coffee – quite undrinkable. The Delonghi grinder I had been using just wasn’t up to the task. The shots came through either too quickly or not at all. I suspect the grinder produced too many fines which when using a finer setting resulted in a clogged basket. Things improved substantially when using a better grinder. I could have persevered with grind fineness but after just having dialled in the Vebiemme I didn’t want to go through that again.

My conclusion is that if using pre-ground coffee, stick with the pressurised basket. After all, that is what it is designed for. The results will be OK but will never match a café. If wanting to go to a non-pressurise basket, you will need a quality grinder that may cost a multiple or 2 or 3 of the cost of the Café Roma itself.

Bob

DONT USE

Re: Breville Cafe Roma non-pressurised PF basket

hi bob

the non pressurised basket will work differently to your modified one, this is due to the multiple of holes in the basket

12.95 + 6 postage for single or double

graham