Thread: Old SKool Gaggia problems

Old SKool Gaggia problems

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey All,
    so i have been cleaning up an old Gaggia espresso (80s looking black and white plastic job) for my younger bro after he found it in his girlfriends house. i have given it a clean with some espresso clean pull out the shower screen and cleaned it completely and given the machine a citric descaling and it has come up alright. however when i vent water from the group it is coming out all milky white and floaty....then clears for awhile, then turns milky again.

My question, is it the boiler? i know the history with Gaggias is that the boilers fail due to poor metal and quality, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, (if this is the problem) on how to fix this? is it possible or worth getting a new boiler? or putting in a different make of boiler? ...or is it time for this machine to go to the great cafe in the sky? ;D

thanks very much for the help.

DD!

Re: Old SKool Gaggia problems

Hey DD,
    <------- does it look like a white version of my orange one there (which hasnt seen the light of day for a long time now)? I also have a white one. Umm firstly, citric acid and the aluminium boilers of the gaggias dont really mix. There are a few warnings aginst descaling with citric acid and baby Gs. So that could be your problemo with the milkyness. I wouldnt got drinking it in a hurry. If you wanted, taking off the boiler and checking out its guts isnt too much of an effort if you dont mind fiddling around. Thatll tell the real story anyway.

Actually, now you mention its white plastic, I think its the model after these which had the semi-clear red buttons right?

YeeZa

Thanks Yeeza,
    * * * * * * * * * * * * yeah *it sort of looks like yours i will add a picture with the next post. *actually the milky problem was there before i descaled it. however i will keep your point in *mind for future reference. :D ...yeah i think i will pull it apart and have a look inside. i will add pics with what i find

cheers and thanks,

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *DD

Looking forward to the pics. Yeah the white one i picked up was super manky on the inside, its kinda disgusting thinking that was being consumed.

Its exactly like this one here:

http://popovic.info/grafik/caffe/gag...espresso_2.jpg

DD