Thread: Breville Ikon. Good Machine Or Bad?

Breville Ikon. Good Machine Or Bad?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Just wondering ::) what you guys think.

Italian designed 15 bar pump and stainless steel boiler heating system ensures the water is heated and maintained at the optimum temperature for maximum extraction of coffee flavour
    Advanced dual wall crema system
    Commerical size swivel steam wand including a frothing attachment to froth and steam milk for cafe style cappuccino
    Eject filter system - 1 and 2 cup filters are easily removed by simply pressing the eject button for quick release
    Removable 2 litre water tank
    Extra large cup height, ideal for coffee mugs
    Premium stainless steel design
    Includes specially designed cleaning tools and accessories for your convenience
    12 month replacement guarantee

All for a RRP of $374.95

Re: Breville Ikon. Good Machine Or Bad?

I would steer clear of the "advanced dual wall basket crema garbage". I started my journey with a breville 800 and thought it was great, until i learned a bit more about making espresso. Try and go for something with a professional sized portafilter. Get a good grinder as well.

GDay HCK

See the link below! 8-)

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1222932957/5#5

Andrew

DONT USE

hi HCK

I would steer clear of the "advanced dual wall basket crema garbage
    :o

I started my journey with a breville 800 and thought it was great,
    :D

until i learned a bit more about making espresso.
    the ikon is a good low $ entry machine

the dual wall filters make it easier to learn to make coffee
    the quantity and grind do not need to be accurate to get a reasonably good coffee,
    unlike conventional filters.

as james said,
    he started with the dual wall filters (which he critisizes as being garbage) but made a good coffee (thought it was great)

when he became more proficient, he found that the unpressurised filters gave him a better coffee

but

he had to put more work in to making the coffee

his grind had to be accurate
    his quantity of ground coffee had to be accurate

otherwise the coffee he made with the dual floor filters would be better

making coffee is a journey
    start with the basics, and practise
    when you are ready for the next step, buy unpressurised filters.
    you will notice the difference, in the taste, and the input needed from yourself.

just as james has found

i have a saeco via venezia, some times if im feeling lazy, i will use the pressurised handle, i still enjoy my coffee

graham

Would you beleive I still havent replaced my Breville Cafe Roma. Ive bought a Rancilio Rocky grinder and am using my sons Roma that he left with us. But soon hell be back and taking it away, so Ill have to get something.

Its hard to decide whether to spend $100 or $1000 on a machine. Id like to spend $1000 but my husband wouldnt be amused. So still I procrastinate.

..but how does the coffee taste now you are using freshly ground coffee?

Well, it smells great as Im grinding it, and it tastes ok.... But somehow it never seems to taste as good as when I get a cup of coffee from Merlos - they give you a complimentary cup when you buy their beans. I guess its because theyre using a $5000 machine or something. How do you get coffee from a cheap home machine that tastes as good as coffee from a cafe machine? Or isnt it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Judy52 link=1224225642/0#6 date=1224650449
    Well, it smells great as Im grinding it, and it tastes ok.... But somehow it never seems to taste as good as when I get a cup of coffee from Merlos - they give you a complimentary cup when you buy their beans. I guess its because theyre using a $5000 machine or something. How do you get coffee from a cheap home machine that tastes as good as coffee from a cafe machine? Or isnt it possible?
    Yes, its possible. I dont know what sort of quality a Breville can do, but certainly something like a Silvia is capable of producing a coffee as good, if not better, than most cafes (assuming attention to detail and correct technique).

I agree with Bill - I have a Sunbeam EM6910 and a pretty poor grinder and, even before my good grinder turns up, Im making a better espresso than most cafes I go to around my way (there are a few exceptions, but I think that boils down to their experience -v- the lack of mine).

I think most of the making of a decent espresso comes from fresh beans, a good grinder, an even tamp, a good extraction because of the tamp and beans and a good and practised hand at the milk steaming (knowing when to stop). I dont think necessarily the espresso machine plays any more than a sixth of a part in how your coffee comes out and, provided all of the other things are going to the right way, probably less.

Cheers
    Di

I agree. I have a EM6910 as well and I have found that I prefer my coffee over most cafes