Thread: Sunbeam 3800: which non-pressurised basket?

Sunbeam 3800: which non-pressurised basket?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all

The journey to becoming a true CoffeeSnob began for me today as I picked up a brand new Sunbeam 3800. *Having stumbled upon these forums while researching I was going to go for a Breville Ikon or a Gaggia Classic, but I figured I couldnt lose with the 3800 as a first step for $47. *At worst I upgrade straight away and sell the 3800. ;)

Anyway two things I have been able to discern without much effort are that a decent grinder is as important (more important?) than a good espresso machine, and that the pressurised baskets in low-end machines get in the way of making good coffee.

So... Im going to try and pick up a SB 0450/04580 grinder (just to start me off) and I want to get unpressurised baskets for the 3800 too.

If this is possible, what brand/model of basket do I need? *I know people have posted about it before, but I couldnt find a definitive answer.

Many thanks!

Re: Sunbeam 3800: which non-pressurised basket?

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Im not sure how capable a 3800 is but the 0450/0480 are acceptable as entry level grinders.
    You will find them noisy and messy though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Still not sure which non-pressurised basket I should be buying for the 3800 - anyone have experience with this?

Hi,

I have been using the Krups 2-cup unpressurised basket with my em3800. The product code for the 2-cup basket is #0907163.

Thanks mopey. Did you need to buy a new group head seal or anything, or did the krups basket fit straight in?

I didnt get the seal, just the basket. It fits into the portafilter but is a little bit loose compared to the original basket. I remember that I have to tighten a little bit more when locking the handle into the group head. Ill be looking at getting a krups seal since mine seems to be getting a bit worn out now.

DONT USE

mopey

the krups seal is the same as the breville
    the filters and PFs come out of the same place in china (and most of the machine)

graham

Quote Originally Posted by fix link=1224420641/0#6 date=1224742190
    mopey

the krups seal is the same as the breville
    the filters and PFs come out of the same place in china (and most of the machine)

graham
    Hi graham

Does this also mean that I can get a Breville unpressurised basket if I cant find a Krups?

Quote Originally Posted by mopey link=1224420641/0#3 date=1224647458
    Hi,

I have been using the Krups 2-cup unpressurised basket with my em3800. The product code for the 2-cup basket is #0907163.
    I purchased that particular Krups filter for my Sunbeam EM5600 and what a difference it has made!

Im only using the EM5600 and 0450 Grinder combo and now making a very decent brew which is not too far away from good cafe quality, and vastly superior to some of the average cafes out there.

I tested the new filter immediately after using the pressurised basket, and the attestations from people on this forum of the difference in flavour that a non-pressurised basket makes are no exaggeration. Im using some good fresh beans from The Coffee Barun, and the pressurised basket gives it that slightly burnt, bitter taste. The non-pressurised basket now means a lovely (almost caramel) flavour. The other big difference is having an easy to dispose of puck that comes out so easily (a firm shake does the trick) I wont even bother purchasing a banger.

Im getting this quality using the so-called tamper (there must be another word for that plastic piece of you-know-what!) that comes with the machine. The other adjustment I want to make is binning the black plastic in the pf, but obviously it will need a nut or whatever on the inside to keep the middle screw in place.

Now for a decent tamper, and were cooking with gas.