Thread: Inconsistentcy with Via Venezia

Inconsistentcy with Via Venezia

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Greetings although I have been reading some very interesting postings in CoffeeSnobs for some time this is my first post and attempt to acquire some help with my machine.

I have owned a Via Venezia for about a year and a half and quite frankly I was getting a more consistent pour out the old Breville I previously owned. So my quest now is for a more consistent crema coffee. I use only fresh roasted beans I buy from a local roaster. So the beans are always fresh. The machine is kept very clean.

So I believe the problem is isolated to two possibilities:
    (1) To grind I use a Krups burr grinder and I have read quite a bit on the forum that they are not that crash hot.
    (2) I have also read that the pressurized portafilter on the Venezia could also be another possibility.

The other day encouraged by the forum I had a shot at roasting with an air popper. The result outstanding coffee, flavor and crema from that particular batch which I have not been able to duplicate since. I have roasted some more but without the same outcome. So to date Iím still stuck on whether it is the grinder or the portafilter which is mentioned in the forum as being a problem for some Venezia owners . I have tried grinding at various settings today without any luck.

The coffee I have made since I owned the machine has always been good but inconsistent particularly as when I owned the Breville I used a blade grinder with good results. Many Thanks in advance. *

Cheers
    :)

Re: Inconsistentcy with Via Venezia

I had a Via Venezia combi (in-built grinder) for ~7 years and had extremely consistent results from the std pressurised portafilter. *The only dud pours were invariably due to stale beans. *Id suspect your grinder is the cause of your issues.

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks for your response. The Krups Grinder hasnt been receiving favorable results on this forum so its a fair comment. I will read up on some grinders as well in case thats my next coarse of action. I might try getting some blended beans from the local roaster and see if that helps. Thanks again

I still have my suspicians regarding the freshness of the beans from the local roaster.
    Especially considering your popper roast gave excellent results.
    Does the local roaster put a "Roasted on" date on the bag?

I dont know the machine but it might be worthwhile seeing if you can cheaply acquire non-pressurised baskets...if so fresh coffee properly ground will make a huge difference.

Cheers

As well as getting genuinely fresh coffee, have a search of this website for how to modify the portafilter to unpressurise it. IIRC it is a fairly quick simple process that is also reversible.

Greg

Ditto. With that youll get better results than from the pressurised jobbie if youve got a decent grinder. Splashalot, great youve had consistent results but you too may take things to a whole new level with an unpressurised basket, if the combo grinder is up to the task of course.

Thanks Greg, but the Saeco has been retired - Ive moved on to a Unico Splendor/Macap ;)

Next step is one of your tampers. :)

Back on topic, was rapt with the VV - gave splendid service over 7 years with nary a dud shot. I did feed it with fresh beans weekly, though.

Re: Further to Inconsistent Results  with Via

Well after numerous trials to maintain a consistent crema with the Via Venezia Iím still at a standoff. As I write I am currently enjoying a hands down knock out cup of coffee from this machine which initiated my original post. How I got that I still donít know? I have read numerous accounts from members of this forum and others have certainly learnt a great deal. Returning to my original post I have tried to reverse engineer my steps to see what I might be either doing wrong and sometimes right. Excluding the operator off course this is where I am up to. No(1) I cannot blame the beans as they are freshly made with a popcorn maker. (No 2) The equipment is kept clean with water replaced for each operation. (No3) The grinder is of concern as it is a Krups conical which is frowned by other users. The dilemmas with that and to its defense some members mention that the VV is very forgiving with poor grinding methods because of its false crema capabilities. So to some degree that excuses me from blaming the grinder or does it ? I hope someone out there can clarify this a bit more. I read up on the pressurized portafilter on the VV and removed the spring as suggested by some. That part of the exercise was a failure as I tried with the Krups to grind at various coarsness and it did not produce a satisfactory outcome. After nearly 400g of coffee I gave that a miss. So on that level that indicates the grinder one would think and yet as I mentioned it is claimed that the VV is very forgiving in this respect. Perhaps there may be some one out there that has used a Krups with another type of coffee machine that could give some comments either way. That way I can weigh up whether to upgrade the blender first or the machine. Many Thanks