Thread: best coffee machine for approx $500

best coffee machine for approx $500

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi,

I am wanting to buy a coffee machine and whilst I would love a $3000 plus machine - it is not a reality at the moment.

I have had a good grinder for a few years now and grind beans for a plunger but would really like to be able to have lattes at home. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I dont expect to get one as good as the best cafes, but was wondering is it possible to get one at this price that will make a decent coffee? I have seen many reviews from individuals but there are many conflicting reviews on the net.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best machine for this price?

Thanks!!

Re: best coffee machine for approx $500

Welcome to CS Sara, if you have a good grinder $500 should get you a decent machine. If you keep an eye on the machinery for sale section, quite often Rancilio Silvia, Gaggia Classic or Sunbeam 6910 are on offer for around that mark.

Hi Sara,

The Sunbeam 6910 can be picked up for around $550 (cash) at Good Guys. If you wait until boxing day, it might come down a bit more.

Another one that comes to mind for around that price point is the Nemox dell opera Which has a grinder in-built or the Nemox fenice (think thats it) which is the same as the dell opera, sans grinder.

Hi Sara and welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Firstly, what grinder do you have?
    Do you have access to fresh beans?

Secondly, what other requirements do you have?
    e.g.
    How many coffees will you need to make at a time?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I might wait until after Christmas and have a look at some of the suggestions at the sales.

Its great to have some of your advice up my sleeve (as I went to an electrical store yesterday and I think the sales person was making it up as they went!!)

Thanks!!

Sara ;)

In electrical stores they do (make it up).
    I dont even think they could handle using a toaster let alone a coffee machine.

Hey guys

In my opinion the best machine under $500 is the Saeco Via Venezia, its body is stainless steel rather than plastic and the boiler is stainless steel aswell. The best part is the handle, with its special pressurized portafilter which can make anyone a talented barista. It is really incredible for such a small machine, just remember to purchase a decent grinder, preferably not a blade-based grinder as it isnt adjustable. If you are on a budget for the grinder have a look for an old hand-crank grinder which have a conical burr and are have an adjustable grind setting.

mod edit to allow post to meet site sales and posting policy

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Destijl link=1230010885/0#6 date=1230083244
    Hey guys

In my opinion the best machine under $500 is the Saeco Via Venezia, its body is stainless steel rather than plastic and the boiler is stainless steel as well. The best part is the handle, with its special pressurized portafilter which can make anyone a talented barista. It is really incredible for such a small machine, just remember to purchase a decent grinder, preferably not a blade-based grinder as it isnt adjustable. If you are on a budget for the grinder have a look for an old hand-crank grinder which have a conical burr and are have an adjustable grind setting.

mod edit to allow post to meet site sales and posting policy
    :-? hmm....I doubt that you will find too many CSers doing double backflips about pressurised portafilters which are quite capable of creating coffee from mulch....

Wax on, wax off grasshopper ;)

Ill add to the recommendations for a 2nd hand Silvia or similar. With a good grinder, sound technique and fresh coffee it will produce espresso far better than anything with a pressurised portafilter....

Yep - as Chris said. Dont be fooled by the instant gratification of the pressurised basket and supermarket coffee...looks like crema (unless you have seen the real thing up close) and tastes like...well... pretty ordinary actually. Get a machine that takes non pressurised baskets (dont know if the Saeco does or not) and use fresh coffee like is roasted by Andy on this site (top left of screen) or a good local roaster, or roast yourself at home like many on this site do...and you wont look back...promise!