Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aldi Lumina Signature- $179

Aldi Lumina Signature- $179

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi,
    I recently bought this machine due to the price. I was so impressed with the ski gear that I purchased and have found if you are careful, you can find very high quality items in Aldi.
    What I have found thus far:
    Yet to find why there is no way to put double the grams of coffee in for two cups.. have rang customer support and am waiting til after new years.
    Can anyone tell me about this portafilla with this rubber insert?? Im going to take it to show my local roaster.
    Water temp seems a bit low.. about 85 degrees but maybe I am not measuring this reliably. I put the milk temp stick under the running water as close to the shower as possible. Has someone got a better way?
    Crema is fine.. bit small.
    I love the digital display and it is packed with functions like the more expensive machines.
    It has heaps of wow factor with friends and they love the coffee.
    I am still experimenting as often the puck isnt quite hard / dry after.
    I was told it is steel rather than aluminium. This stopped me from buying their previous red retro model.
    Compared to my stove top pot, I am enjoying a lovely coffee without the burning (oops did I forgot I had my coffee on!!).
    I have done some research since buying this machine and am very happy. I would have had to spend a lot more to get the same functions. The Choice research shows that price is not much of a factor so it seems to always be a gamble.
    Enjoy!

Re: Aldi Lumina Signature- $179

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

We have long since come to the conclusion that Choice know nothing about coffee machines.
    Their reviews are subjective and inconsistent.

I agree that sometimes you can get a really good bargain from Aldi.
    My PC is from them and so is my treadmill; both were of excellent quality and packed full of features youd normally pay a lot more for.
    However I bought my wife a laptop not too long ago and had to take it back and decided not to chance a replacement.

I dont recall anyone else saying theyve bought one of these coffee machines so you may have to tell us about them.
    I saw them in Aldi the other day.

What are you using to grind your beans?

I have been using the Aldi organic coffee which was already ground and some lavazza.
    My grinder is the $30 metal style so I have been looking at the burr grinders. I am wondering if this makes a huge difference.
    We have some great roasters on the peninsula so fresh beans is no problem.
    :)

Freshly ground coffee, using a good grinder, makes a HUGE difference.

The cheapest one I recommend will cost you almost as much as the Lumina.

The Sunbeam 0450 retails around $150.
    Double and triple that price will get you much better quality and grinders that will last.

Hi there,
    I recently bought one of these from Aldi and am enjoying it to a certain extent. However, it did not come with a user manual, and despite all my googling, I cant seem to find anything. I cant work out what all the different symbols mean or how to get a really strong coffee. My coffee is alright, but I could use a bit of extra punch.

Any ideas. Did you get a manual?

I got the manual. IF you ring Tempo on 1300 886649 they might help you. If not I can run through it with you.
    I bypassed the manual and went straight to the youtube demos and this site.
    The display on the left is the water hardness. It is set to medium by default.. you most likely wont need to change this.
    One cup /two cup.. all good
    water levels.. set it to your requirements
    You can turn steam on or water function with steam button.
    Hope thats a start :)

Thank you so much. I contacted that number and they are emailing a manual through. I will also check out the demos on youtube. I didnt even know they had espresso making demos there - thats fabulous.

Thanks again. Big help! :D

The more I use my Aldi machine and have a look at others the happier I am.
    If you want a really strong coffee if you are adding milk, you can use the double cup button and pull 40ml.
    The crema doesnt seem to be as thick as per higher priced machines claims BUT it is a real one: there is a demo on youtube
    with the sugar going in and sitting on the crema rather than it dispersing it-apparently some machines froth the coffee on the way through
    so it looks like thicker.
    I have only had ONE bought cup since buying it just before xmas and I was happy to come home to mine.
    I had concerns when I started to research this whole thing AFTER buying it (price only considered) but now I am very happy.
    I dont care where it is made: I worked for an importer briefly and if anyone thinks their $230 Made in Italy jeans are not made quite close to home would be disappointed :)
    Make sure you get a good milk jug and a temperature gauge.
    Check out your local roasters who have awesome little shops full of that stuff and get your fair trade coffee at the same time :)
    Im glad they are sending you a book!
    Enjoy
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by techmum link=1230621062/0#7 date=1231397550
    there is a demo on youtube with the sugar going in and sitting on the crema rather than it dispersing it-apparently some machines froth the coffee on the way through, so it looks like thicker.
    Actually "techmum", this isnt really the way to determine the quality of the crema and is most often nothing more than a cheap party trick. The quality of crema is totally down to how it tastes and affects the overall experience of drinking an espresso. It just so happens that some truly beautiful crema from some of my brews didnt "look" all that wonderful from the outside, larger than usual bubbles, etc but boy, was it good going down..... 8-)

Mal.

Found a more course grind works better...pump seems to struggle a bit if too much coffee in there for 2 cups and packed too tightly.
    I put in 9-12gm, set to 2 cups at 30 or 40ml to make my cappuccino.
    I get a very nice strong one with yummy crema. Getting fresh beans has made a huge difference.
    Am no longer buying coffee at every opportunity and waiting until I get home to relax with my own brew :)
    :D :o 8-) ::) :P

I must say here that making a better coffee than most cafes is not hard unfortunately. ;)
    Techmum, welcome to the wonderful world of coffee.
    May I make a couple fo suggestions to increase your coffee experience and lengthen the life of your Lumina.
    Use filtered water - for flavour and maintain machine integrity.
    Use a triple action descaler (Bombora a site sponsor has this) on a regular basis to flush out remnant coffee oils. I suggest using a mild solution at least once a month just to break down the coffee oils that build up in the head (where you put your coffee). One big difference between the domestic and the prosumer machines and even the Silvia and the Gaggias is you cant back flush effectively to clean the head, so the oils just keep building up.
    The next piece of advice is to buy a good grinder, it really truly makes all the difference. But work out first if you are going to be happy with your Lumina once you get the grinder. You may find, like many others on this site that you will not be satisfied until you have a Giotto and Robur sitting on your kitchen bench, but then again there is nothing to say that you cant pull great shots (that you are happy with) from a domestic machine if you have a good grinder next to it.

James

Hi, I also bought an Aldi signature Lumina espresso machine $179.00, which I was quite happy with, cuppacino like from a cafe, but recently the milk is not creming like it was, I cant seem to get a head on it, just bubbles and then the milk comes to a boil. Have any of you experienced the same problem or do you do anything special for cleaning it after using. I usually clean the nozzle with hot water and wipe it down just after making the coffee. Any advise Please would come in handy. Im really disppointed it is not working as well as it was.

Thanks.

Good to hear that other people have been reasonably happy with their Aldi machines, I might give them another go. I recently bought on on clearance for $99 from an Aldi near work but only got two coffees out of it before it refused to turn on any more. The power button wasnt even lighting up - not good. I returned it to an Aldi closer to home (couldnt be bothered driving to the one near work on a weekend) but they didnt have any replacement ones there.

Quote Originally Posted by 54686572657361000 link=1230621062/11#11 date=1235206505
    ....., but recently the milk is not creming like it was, I cant seem to get a head on it, just bubbles and then the milk comes to a boil. Have any of you experienced the same problem or do you do
    Hi Reisa,

there has been a national problem with the milk of recent weeks. It seems to be a lack of protien caused by high temps in some lots there is a thread here to have a read of http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234484329 So it may not be you ;)

Just had to laugh. Ive been looking at coffee machines on eBay and have seen sellers trying to sell this machine for up to $299 :o
    Its amazing what people try to get away with.

Just brought a Aldi Lumina Signiture ($179) It as my first machine. I have been following the forum for a while and with coffee loving friends coming to stay with us, decided to lash out and buy one. As this is my first machine I really cant compare it to any other but I must say, we are very happy with it. My friend has had four machines and currently has a Gaggia ($650) and knows a bit about coffee. He is very impressed with the machine. Its quick to start up, easy to use, and makes a great coffee. The machine seems well made and I like the light and display. Really enjoying the art of making the coffee and of foaming the milk. We buy our beans and grind it at a local store that has a good range of fresh beans. For a beginners machine, we are extremely happy with it. Big question is how long it will last but everything is fine so far. Comparing it to similar priced machines in stores, I think the Lumina has heaps more features. Worth a look if your in the market for a cheapy.

Quote Originally Posted by 11393A31395E0 link=1230621062/15#15 date=1252113914
    Big question is how long it will last
    Do let us know.

WOW it really seems this machine might kick back to the ole storey of you get what you pay for, will be interesting to see if it holds to the test of time, well for 179 bucks if it lasts 2 years your still in front in my eyes

My wife works at a bakery and has done some coffee making courses. She makes over 60 cups + a day. We are making 4 to 6 cups a day with the Signature and the coffee is still great. Did the first de-scaling of the machine today. Quiet a solidly built unit. Still buying pre-ground coffee which seems fine at the moment but Im sure fresh ground would be better. Its a shame more experienced snobs havent tried the machine as I have no other machine to refer to, but we just love it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by 112D302B212037222A21450 link=1230621062/16#16 date=1252132966
    Do let us know.
    Hi there,

In my case, under 2 months. I bought this machine on Aug 20. I used it almost everyday for 1 (sometimes 2) coffees. This morning, I turned it on, it made a funny sound, then started spilling water from somewhere at the top of the steam wand. I think something might be cracked inside, as it continued spilling after being unplugged from the wall.

So, after 50 or so cups of coffee, its dead. Ill be taking it back to Aldi, and looking at something that is expected to last longer. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by 1A32313A32550 link=1230621062/18#18 date=1254460336
    . *Its a shame more experienced snobs havent tried the machine as I have no other machine to refer to, but we just love it. :D
    Im definitely not a snob - actually just starting at the whole coffee bit, but as I mentioned above my Lumina is dead after less than two months. The upside is that I got a straight refund, no questions asked, from Aldi, and picked up an EM6910 + free EM480 for a great price. (I now have 2 EM480 grinders, but thats another story).

Going back to the Lumina, a few things that may help you get the best out of your machine (while still working):

1. The chrome steam wand you see is actually a tube that screws at the top over the real steam wand, which is much narrower. I recommend unscrewing the tube and cleaning it and the real pipe underneath as often as you clean the machine - its amazing the staff that gets collected there.
    2. The filter basked is not actually a basket, but a grill. If you unscrew it, you will see that the basket is made of plastic. Inside the alloy group handle, you have an entire plastic assembly, from the black plastic edge that you see inside the "basket" to the two plastic tips that function as spouts. The underside of the group handle has a black plastic cover which can be removed to reveal the screw that keeps the entire plastic assembly together. I took that apart and got rid of the small metalic ball that created pressure to be able to clean the assembly on the inside (and get a pseudo-unpressurised filter).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. For the time being, Im off to unpack my new EM6910.

ok, you can tell I dont post much when I dont know how to quote ppl properly in them boxes highlighted, but anyway:

"We buy our beans and grind it at a local store that has a good range of fresh beans." - Do this experiment: make a coffee the day you bring the ground beans back from the shops. Make another one the next day, and the day after. Notice how the flavour very quickly fades away. Imagine using the coffee the moment theyre ground. Lesson: as Fresh_Coffee said, get a grinder - you wont regret it ;)

Scenario - I started with a $300 krups (6 years ago now?) and thought I made excellent coffee too - for about 2 years - until a fellow snob pulled me a shot from his Silvia + Mazzer (what have you done to me, dailybean?), which set me on a long term $3K journey. Now to be fair, I have not come across this Aldi machine but heres another experiment: visit one of the site sponsors, have a taste of their coffee, and then go home and have one of yours. Warning: might cost you $3K in the end :P

actually, you can tell I dont post much when to the left it says: "Posts: 40". or 41 now.

Well acyually 42 now :P:P

Well it might seem that Aldi again has a machine that should be used as a boat anchor, acutally you might lose your boat if you try that.

I think it we might need to reiterate, spend every cent you have on a grinder and drink plunger coffee until you can afford an espresso machine that at least will last 3 months

I think youre right, an espresso machine that will both last and produce good quality espresso is going to cost some money. In some cases, jumping in and spending $500-800 on a quality machine is not easy.

However, after having the Lumina for the brief period of its lifespan, I was able to appreciate the difference between a $179 Lumina and a $500 EM6910, and that difference its more than worth the money. (Although two months ago I wouldnt have thought of spending this amount on a coffee machine).

Quote Originally Posted by 3D2838252B2E222F2B2E4A0 link=1230621062/23#23 date=1255131801
    I think it we might need to reiterate, spend every cent you have on a grinder and drink plunger coffee until you can afford an espresso machine that at least will last 3 months
    I support the importance of a good grinder, and of having a reliable machine. Money is not always the answer to good coffee however.

I have been able to make good coffee (OK--at least much, much better than instant or the local take-away Barn) with a whirly grinder ($20) and a non-pump water pressure espresso machine ($50).

We had no other options at work and this at least enabled me to drink acceptable lattés.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 3C333E23225B0 link=1230621062/19#19 date=1255042497
    Quote Originally Posted by 112D302B212037222A21450 link=1230621062/16#16 date=1252132966
    Do let us know.
    Hi there,

In my case, under 2 months. I bought this machine on Aug 20. I used it almost everyday for 1 (sometimes 2) coffees. This morning, I turned it on, it made a funny sound, then started spilling water from somewhere at the top of the steam wand. I think something might be cracked inside, as it continued spilling after being unplugged from the wall.

So, after 50 or so cups of coffee, its dead. Ill be taking it back to Aldi, and looking at something that is expected to last longer. :-/
    Mine died on the weekend, had a hernea and dropped water on the bench sometime after being heated and before making it to the steam nozzle or the coffee outlet. :(

It was a fun little machine while it lasted, RIP Aldi Lumina Signature

4/12/08 - 10/10/09

Wish me luck with a refund. Taking it in today with a reciept.

Quote Originally Posted by 554A4C4D4A535D41380 link=1230621062/26#26 date=1255298262

Wish me luck with a refund. *Taking it in today with a reciept.
    Good luck MrTurkey - let us know how you go. If you can take advantage of the current promotion from Sunbeam (free EM480 burr grinder with EM6910), go for it. You should be able to get both for around $600 in shops.

Quote Originally Posted by 6F606D7071080 link=1230621062/27#27 date=1255382605
    Quote Originally Posted by 554A4C4D4A535D41380 link=1230621062/26#26 date=1255298262

Good luck MrTurkey - let us know how you go. If you can take advantage of the current promotion from Sunbeam (free EM480 burr grinder with EM6910), go for it. You should be able to get both for around $600 in shops.
    Refund successful, yay

Got to find another super budget machine now as I cant stretch much over the refund amount right now. How is the EM3600? $149 at BigW at moment....

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 38272120273E302C550 link=1230621062/28#28 date=1255399905
    Quote Originally Posted by 6F606D7071080 link=1230621062/27#27 date=1255382605

Refund successful, yay

Got to find another super budget machine now as I cant stretch much over the refund amount right now. *How is the EM3600? *$149 at BigW at moment....
    Have had two EM3600 and with some minor / yet cheep mods they are a great little machine. For one or two coffees at a time... The steam / Water switch is good as it helps you to think about your method and if you forget to do a cooling flush it aint so bad..

KG100 is a suitable BASE grinder for this unit... Try to use a Krups or other suitable single floor basket..

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 6B747273746D637F060 link=1230621062/28#28 date=1255399905
    Got to find another super budget machine now as I cant stretch much over the refund amount right now. *How is the EM3600? *$149 at BigW at moment....
    Only $10 off RRP, not really a bargain.
    Anyone know if there is much difference between the 3600, 3800 and 4800? All seem to be very similar machines with slightly different exteriors.

Quote Originally Posted by 6E6F6576686D77040 link=1230621062/30#30 date=1255401250
    Only $10 off RRP, not really a bargain. *
    Anyone know if there is much difference between the 3600, 3800 and 4800? All seem to be very similar machines with slightly different exteriors.
    I see what you mean
    So sunbeam seems the go but which model?
    EM2300
    or the ones mentioned above?

My machine in still working great. I have used other machines now and appreciate the better steaming nozzles on offer. But still for the price, its making great coffee. I dont think it should be bagged for a couple of break downs. Im sure there would be sad stories of all makes regarding break downs. We make on average 4-6 cups daily and it still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by 61494A41492E0 link=1230621062/32#32 date=1260146446
    My machine in still working great. *I have used other machines now and appreciate the better steaming nozzles on offer. But still for the price, its making great coffee. *I dont think it should be bagged for a couple of break downs. Im sure there would be sad stories of all makes regarding break downs. We make on average 4-6 cups daily and it still going strong.
    Hi Ogdog,

Think nothing of a bit of a bagging.
    Some of us have spent so much on our machines that we could not be objective below $1000.
    If you hone your palate too well youll be unhappy with coffees under $12 each.
    Snobs after all.
    Water off a ducks back mate.

Kind Regards
    Lindsay
    PS I had chillis for lunch.

Apolgies for bumping an old thread :-[ But just a quick question - Am I correct in assuming that this machine has a pressurised basket and would therefore be happier with a coarser grind, particles a bit larger than white sugar? Only asking because next door neighbours have made thier first step towards coffee heaven and got one of these machines. I have offered some beans, and would like their first taste of fresh *to be as good as it can *:)

Caffeine Junky

I would assume these have pressurised baskets.
    Very easy way to tell, if there is only 1-2 holes at the botton of the basket then its pressurised.

From memory you have a delonghi grinder? I would grind at the finest setting and see how it goes. If this chokes up their machine then ease off until you get a good pour.

Quote Originally Posted by 64656F7C62677D0E0 link=1230621062/35#35 date=1268717332
    I would assume these have pressurised baskets.
    Very easy way to tell, if there is only 1-2 holes at the botton of the basket then its pressurised.

From memory you have a delonghi grinder? *I would grind at the finest setting and see how it goes. If this chokes up their machine then ease off until you get a good pour.
    They are "HI" over the fence neighbours, so I havent seen the machine, it was mentioned the other night when the aroma of roasted beans was hanging in the very still evening air (it may have even wafted to Crisp Images):D My grinder is a Macap M4D, so I would be going coarser, but cant remember what pre ground looked like to try and match it ;D

Caffeine Junky

Sorry CM I must have you confused with someone else. Obviously you dont want to go the finest setting with a M4D!

White sugar coarses sounds big to me, maybe castor sugar is more like it?

Im sure youll do better than Luminas marketing dept

DONT USE

hi
    Just a word of warning with the coffee machines from ALDI, etc

if it isnt a known brand

there is NO PARTS AVAILABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 55545E4D53564C3F0 link=1230621062/37#37 date=1268720504
    Sorry CM I must have you confused with someone else. *Obviously you dont want to go the finest setting with a M4D! *

White sugar coarses sounds big to me, maybe castor sugar is more like it?

Even the marketing department couldnt take a shot of proper espresso. :p

I had a laugh at Constant 18 bar pump pressure produces a aromatic espresso with perfect cream every time

Quote Originally Posted by 45444E5D43465C2F0 link=1230621062/37#37 date=1268720504
    Me too.

Sorry, am sure its a good machine but cant help laughing at those sorry looking coffees on the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by 2633213A3B37520 link=1230621062/40#40 date=1270998080
    am sure its a good machine
    :-X

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4D584A51505C390 link=1230621062/40#40 date=1270998080
    am sure its a good machine
    Good for what? :-?

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 104F57414A414D444447474F434C220 link=1230621062/42#42 date=1271030694
    Good for what?
    making tea by the look of the pic!

In all seriousness though......i dont think its a terrible machine for someone on a very tight budget, with fresh coffee and a half decent grinder.......should be able to get half decent coffee out of it ::)

I was trying to be nice okay!

Sorry guys, they dont call us CoffeeSnobs for nothing :P

Quote Originally Posted by 247B63757E7579707073737B7778160 link=1230621062/42#42 date=1271030694
    Good for what?Huh
    What is the problem with some of you people? The title of this tread is the Aldi Lumina Signiture. I would of thought people would comment on this thread having either having experience from purchasing it or inquiring about it, not from looking at pictures. Obviously people buying are in the beginner bracket of coffee making so why the snide comments!
    My experience with this machine is this. It provides cafe standard coffee at home, without fuss. It has worked fine for 8 months. Im still very happy with the purchase and feel that I have got my moneys worth from it. We have all ready talked about upgrading to another machine when this gives out. But as a beginners machine it has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by 1E36353E36510 link=1230621062/45#45 date=1272676376
    What is the problem with some of you people?
    Our problem is that we appreciate good coffee. Apart from other things, to achieve this you require good equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by 1E36353E36510 link=1230621062/45#45 date=1272676376
    It provides cafe standard coffee at home
    Unfortunately, the number of cafes that serve good coffee are far and few between. So, perhaps in the majority of circumstances, you are quite correct. ;)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 40686B60680F0 link=1230621062/45#45 date=1272676376
    It provides cafe standard coffee at home, without fuss.
    No Ogdog, it doesnt...In fact nothing with a pressurised filter basket running 15 bar or more provides cafe quality coffee regardless of what you do with it- unless your cafe is a dud that is? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 16373C3C3B21520 link=1230621062/46#46 date=1272686580
    Unfortunately, the number of cafes that serve good coffee are far and few between.So, perhaps in the majority of circumstances, you are quite correct.
    In a nutshell.

My neighbour said that fresh beans made "coffee like he had never tasted before" and that he told his wife off for "sharing" the good stuff - my roast with a friend that dropped in ;D

Result, new friends to share my coffee with :D

So, good fresh beans, even pre-ground on a good grinder can make a difference in a baisc machine, and awaken the realisation that there is great coffee available to everyone. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast