Thread: CLR to descale?

CLR to descale?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi everyone. Im a complete noob here, but can someone tell me if its okay to descale my espresso machine with CLR clear? (Calcium Lime & Rust remover from the supermarket). Im using a Sunbeam Cafe Crema and it has started pulling really bad spluttery esspressos. It was fairly good when I got it. My friend has just done her machine with CLR and says it worked a treat, but I have reservations, as I dont want to buy a new one right now :-)

Your advice is appreciated!

Cheers

TC

Re: CLR to descale?

Quote Originally Posted by 7B7F6B6D383A3A3A0A0 link=1235525210/0#0 date=1235525210
    Hi everyone. Im a complete noob here, but can someone tell me if its okay to descale my espresso machine with CLR clear? (Calcium Lime & Rust remover from the supermarket). Im using a Sunbeam Cafe Crema and it has started pulling really bad spluttery esspressos. It was fairly good when I got it. My friend has just done her machine with CLR and says it worked a treat, but I have reservations, as I dont want to buy a new one right now :-)

Cheers
    :o Im not prepared to drink CLR so no way would I descale with it . When commercial and dedicated products are so cheap, it amazes me that people would endanger themselves for a few bucks.

I suggest that you buy a product designed for your machine and follow the manufacturers instructions.... ::)

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 6064707623212121110 link=1235525210/0#0 date=1235525210

Cheers
    Given that I bought a bottle of descaling liquid for kettles from the supermarket on the weekend for $1.99, I also wonder why you would take the risk!! CLR eats away so much, I hate to think what it might do to the lining of your stomach!

Get the real deal and save yourself the risk.

i cleaned my machine with it last week, it worked so damn good... i also pulled out the shower screen and seal and cleaned it up good.

now it works better than when i got it. i ran hot water through it 4 times after all the 1:8 mix of CLR went through.

it also said on the back it was ok.

Quote Originally Posted by 79263E282328242D2D2E2E262A254B0 link=1235525210/1#1 date=1235526372
    it amazes me that people would endanger themselves for a few bucks.
    :o

Ditto! And some of the products that are purpose made for coffee equipment are actually cheaper than the alternatives, especially if you void your warranty or harm yourself and others.

Then again, a rope would work as effectively as a seat belt....wouldnt it? :P

i drank some accidently only a little when i didnt clean my machine out very well and it only gave me a gut ache.

it would not say it on the packet if it was not safe

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 020E070704043E120F0E03610 link=1235525210/5#5 date=1235548367
    i drank some accidently only a little when i didnt clean my machine out very well and it only gave me a gut ache.

it would not say it on the packet if it was not safe
    Would not take that as a given....... Fine print and also usually on an insert some where..

Do a search on the MSDS for CLR Calcium-Lime-Rust Remover Depending on the Brand / strength etc... NOT GOOD !!!

Diluted may be ok in small doses... But then again ????

so whats in the other stuff that is sold as coffee machine cleaner? probs same stuff

Quote Originally Posted by 2E222B2B2828123E23222F4D0 link=1235525210/7#7 date=1235557652
    so whats in the other stuff that is sold as coffee machine cleaner? probs same stuff

Ok, I give in. Youre right. Its probably the same stuff. Just like a turkey is an eagle.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 4C6D6666617B080 link=1235525210/8#8 date=1235559865
    Quote Originally Posted by 2E222B2B2828123E23222F4D0 link=1235525210/7#7 date=1235557652
    so whats in the other stuff that is sold as coffee machine cleaner? probs same stuff *

Ok, I give in. *Youre right. *Its probably the same stuff. *Just like a turkey is an eagle.
    I just gargled with it and my teeth are spotless now! *;D ::)

BTW Den, can you recommend a good stuffing mix for an eagle? :-?

Quote Originally Posted by 5458515152526844595855370 link=1235525210/5#5 date=1235548367
    Nah... * :-? *Life is way too short , gut ache isnt something I want to risk adding to my coffee (or dental) experience *but each to their own I guess *::)

-Carrie *;)

Get yourself a 25 gr satchel of Caffeto Restore de-scaler for $ 3.95

Coffee Parts stock it
    http://coffeeparts.com/accessories/cleaner.html

Just use Cafetto and I wont get angry with you

MSDS pdf for CLR
    http://www.hescoinc.com/Msds/comcl4.pdf

KK

Just on that KK, I had planned to buy some Cafetto when I picked up my last beanbay order but, when I said I had a Breville 800 series, was told not to buy it as it was "only for the expensive machines" ???

On the strength of that I have just continued using white vinegar.

-Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by 4A687B7B606C42090 link=1235525210/12#12 date=1235567194
    Just on that KK, I had planned to buy some Cafetto when I picked up my last beanbay order but, when I said I had a Breville 800 series, was told not to buy it as it was "only for the expensive machines" ???

On the strength of that I have just continued using white vinegar.

-Carrie
    This the organic one I recommended Carrie and good for home & office machines
    Can also be diluted down if it concerns you

KK

Cool... I was quite keen to get it last time, but they didnt want to sell it to me :-? . Ill get some when I pick up this months green beans on Friday & give it a go. ( I just wont tell them what machine Im buying it for ;) )

-Carrie

Nah, youre right "coffee_snob".... Safe as houses

WARNING OVERVIEW: Irritating to eyes, skin, respiratory tract and mucous membranes. Risk of burns to eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. May be harmful or fatal if swallowed. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing mist or dust. Keep container closed when not in use.

::)

Oh cool, its "Irritating to eyes, skin, respiratory tract and mucous membranes" so Ill mix it with a little bit of water and drink it instead.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
    ROUTES OF EXPOSURE: *Eyes. Skin. Inhalation. Ingestion.
    TARGET ORGANS: *No data.
    EYE CONTACT: *Severe irritation and blurred vision. Effects may vary depending on length of exposure, solution concentration, and first aid measures. *Prolonged contact may cause permanent damage.
    SKIN CONTACT: *Causes skin irritation. Prolonged contact may cause dermatitis, and itching.
    INHALATION: *Irritation, breathing difficulties, headaches, dizziness.
    INGESTION: *Oral burns, vomiting, and gastrointestinal disturbance.
    MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE TO PRODUCT: *Eye, skin, and respiratory disorders.

I have been using CLR on kettles and other things around the house since before I was married (20+ years) and there is noihtng wnog wtih me. * The risks mentioned on the MSDS are talking about the product in the bottle not the diluted product which is then rinsed out. * (Someone should do an MSDS on sex - the human race would die out right smartly!) Follow the directions and you shouldnt come to harm.

That said, the directions say dont use on coffee makers that hold water permanently and I would suggest that a 3l tank or a boiler would fit the description.

I used it on a drip filter maker once but my espresso maker is a different kettle altogether. * It has a more complicated water path and the consequences are more severe (my coffee could be at risk).

So for me unless it was a case of a machine that has or was going to stop working I would use a specific espresso machine product. * Certainly for routine maintenance.

quag
    As a friendly alternative to clr, try citric acid. If you do a Google on descaling with citric acid, you will get lots of sites that give you the dilution ratio and how to do it. Ive used it and it seems to work well. Many commercial descalers even use it in their concoctions. Not only that, it is also food safe and wont harm the metals or seals in your machine.

Mal. they have to put all the stuff in the warnings cus someone ma drink the hole bottle and have those reactions.

do a MSDS search on those other cleaners used for coffee machines and they will say the same thing if not used correctly.

do one on citric acid you will getthe same results they are all just diffrent options to get the same result.

TC

This is a really silly thread.. :-?

Commercial cleaners are formulated at the correct concentrations and with the right ingredients to do the job. Use anything else at your guesstimate concentration and who knows what the outcome.

The commercial products are effective, safe and cheap. All I can say is that I hope the mob that sold you your machine read this. If it was my company Id refuse any warranty claim outright.

Citric acid is not that good either as it lifts Calcium scale off in sheets which are then free to create blockages elsewhere.

I think well lock down this thread before someone gets poisoned. ::)