Thread: Abysmal results with Krups basket in Sunbeam 4800..

Abysmal results with Krups basket in Sunbeam 4800..

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hey everyone, I need help. Not from becoming a coffee tragic but with actually making the coffee!

I received my Krups basket today and promptly removed the Sunbeam pressurised jobbie and made a brew with the Krups. Wasnt bad, but wasnt good either. My biggest problem seems to be not getting a nice dry puck after extracting, all of them today (6) have been soaking wet with the last one (about 20 mins ago) actually blowing up as I removed the portafilter.

We have a Sunbean EM 0450 and I have been doing different grinds to see what impact it has. So far I have used about a 3, a 5 and a 7 but all do the same thing. One factor is the plastic tamper that came with the machine. I admit that I am struggling to get the dose packed hard as when I do a little twist at the end I can feel the whole dose turning in the basket. Would this be the reason for the wetness at the top of the spent dose?

Any assistance would be greatly accepted as I had high hopes for the Krups basket but so far it hasnt delivered.

Oh, and if I make any more coffees tonight I probably wont sleep until tomorrow!

Cheers
    Bruce

Re: Abysmol results with Krups basket in Sunbeam 4800..

You would be fracturing the puck badly and creating so many channels for the water to run through. A decent tamper is needed.

Re: Abysmol results with Krups basket in Sunbeam 4800..

Quote Originally Posted by 3E2B3C3C37343837590 link=1238402562/1#1 date=1238403413
    You would be fracturing the puck badly and creating so many channels for the water to run through. A decent tamper is needed.
    Thats what I suspected, thanks. New tamper being ordered tomorrow so no espresso for me until it arrives. Back to the drip filter and plunger me thinks.....

A_M

Re: Abysmal results with Krups basket in Sunbeam 4800..

Quote Originally Posted by 6550795A4F4F4E5D4B532A0 link=1238402562/0#0 date=1238402562
    Hey everyone, I need help. Not from becoming a coffee tragic but with actually making the coffee!

I received my Krups basket today and promptly removed the Sunbeam pressurised jobbie and made a brew with the Krups. Wasnt bad, but wasnt good either. My biggest problem seems to be not getting a nice dry puck after extracting, all of them today (6) have been soaking wet with the last one (about 20 mins ago) actually blowing up as I removed the portafilter.

We have a Sunbean EM 0450 and I have been doing different grinds to see what impact it has. So far I have used about a 3, a 5 and a 7 but all do the same thing. One factor is the plastic tamper that came with the machine. I admit that I am struggling to get the dose packed hard as when I do a little twist at the end I can feel the whole dose turning in the basket. Would this be the reason for the wetness at the top of the spent dose?

Any assistance would be greatly accepted as I had high hopes for the Krups basket but so far it hasnt delivered.

Oh, and if I make any more coffees tonight I probably wont sleep until tomorrow!

Cheers
    Bruce
    Most of the plastic tamps have a mold mark across the center .... Depending on how pronounced... *This can break the puck up when doing the twist.... *Suggest you check it out...

You may be able to use the smooth surface of a small jam or other type jar to prove. *You can also use a very fine emery paper to polish... But this works well on steel... Not sure how well, if at all on plastic...

Dosing level *and grind will have an impact on teh sloppy puck issue..

I always found on the cheaper units I had to have a dry puck just touching the shower screen... *Do a search on posts for 5 cent piece... *It has been mentioned a few times.

Then once you Dose level and Tamp is OK... You can then change ONE thing at a time... *Grind setting. *Note... You will need to grind and then after a change do two or more shots before the new size is being fully delivered by the grinder... It is not instant.

Chane only one thing at a time.. and then repeat *what you doing a few times before moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by 715E5755427D515E5157555D555E44300 link=1238402562/3#3 date=1238404278
    Most of the plastic tamps have a mold mark across the center .... Depending on how pronounced... *This can break the puck up when doing the twist.... *Suggest you check it out...

You may be able to use the smooth surface of a small jam or other type jar to prove. *You can also use a very fine emery paper to polish... But this works well on steel... Not sure how well, if at all on plastic...

Dosing level *and grind will have an impact on teh sloppy puck issue..

I always found on the cheaper units I had to have a dry puck just touching the shower screen... *Do a search on posts for 5 cent piece... *It has been mentioned a few times.

Then once you Dose level and Tamp is OK... You can then change ONE thing at a time... *Grind setting. *Note... You will need to grind and then after a change do two or more shots before the new size is being fully delivered by the grinder... It is not instant.

Chane only one thing at a time.. and then repeat *what you doing a few times before moving on...
    Hi AM

Thanks for the info.

I looked at the bottom of the plastic tamper and it did indeed have a casting line. Got rid of that and smoothed it out a little using 1200 on glass.

I then did the dosing using the 5 cent piece trick and found a level where the coin would leave a slight indent in the coffee. As I test I tried to pull a shot with disastrous results as seem in these pics..... another explosion. In the 25 seconds I would have gotten maybe 1/2cm of coffee.

Back to the drawing board and wait for my tamper.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 5E6B4261747475667068110 link=1238402562/4#4 date=1238409219
    I then did the dosing using the 5 cent piece trick and found a level where the coin would leave a slight indent in the coffee. As I test I tried to pull a shot with disastrous results as seem in these pics..... another explosion. In the 25 seconds I would have gotten maybe 1/2cm of coffee.

Back to the drawing board and wait for my tamper.
    A new tamper will not fix the problem....

Also... 1/2cm in a small glass is nothing... In a large old style mug could be 30ml - 40ml easily...

Your grind is too fine OR / AND OR your tamp is to heavy..

The setting on the grinder means NOTHING... *It is a reference point ONLY.

Go back and start with a courser grind and *and after a shot... Go ONE click finer... Then run another two shots (or just dump the grinds) as it takes a few gms for teh new setting to grind and flush out the older grinds..

Keep the dose consistent as well as the tamp... you will then find a point that is almost spot on... *any finer and the output will be less than before... * *Once here... You can then play with the Tamp pressure and or Dose level to give you the best flavor. *

NOTE: On my old EM4800 I could never get a 30sec shot... *Always about 20 with the odd occasion to 25 at best.

I also used to crack teh steam wand after a poor, to release some of teh back pressure... The cheaper systems do not have a 3 way dump valve...

Has to be good quality and fresh beans... Any thing else.. Toss in teh bin.

PS. Where are you located ?

Thanks again AM for your advice, this barista is training is appreciating it. Ill try your suggestions tomorrow.

I know using supermarket beans is a bad thing for drinking but can they be used for practice to get the tamp and fill point right? I would rather waste those than my beans for drinking.

Oh and I am in Riverstone, 50-ish KM from Sydney.

Cheers
    Bruce

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6F5A7350454544574159200 link=1238402562/6#6 date=1238426004
    Thanks again AM for your advice, this barista is training is appreciating it. Ill try your suggestions tomorrow.

I know using supermarket beans is a bad thing for drinking but can they be used for practice to get the tamp and fill point right? I would rather waste those than my beans for drinking.

Oh and I am in Riverstone, 50-ish KM from Sydney.

Cheers
    Bruce

You will find that many have experienced the same as my self, when trying to use OLD beans...

1: You grind has to change as the beans loose their hardness, thus become soft and tear rather than a clean grind.
    2: Because their old the oils have lost their potency, you will get blonding very quickly.

It is a bit like saying... Is it ok to set my racing car up (Suspension, breaks etc etc) using retreads and then putting good tires on... On the day of teh race...

They each have a purpose, but they are not comparable... :o

Old, stale beans are OK for getting your technique sorted so you can check your consistency but for dialing in good, fresh beans, it is a futile exercise. Even when changing between different fresh beans, you will need to waste some to dial in.

You can use the old beans to experiment with updosing/temp surf effects etc just to get an idea of the general effect.