Thread: Help - Best Coffee Machine for $200

Help - Best Coffee Machine for $200

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

1st post! Hopefully the subject line says it all, im looking for good recomendations on a machine which is around $200 and will make great Espresso, Capppucino and Latte.

If anyone can offer some advice id be really grateful.

Ken

Re: Help - Best Coffee Machine for $200

Hi Ken, if you purchase a machine within your budget you will still need a reasonable grinder (Sunbeam EM450 or similar) which cost around $120-130ish. Using freshly roasted beans and not anything from the supermarket shelves you will be able to produce a pretty decent cup of java. Keep an eye on the equipment for sale section someone upgrading might have a machine going for a good price.
    The Breville Ikon is a popular machine, not sure of price, if you do a search you should find some posts on them and similar machines.

Ken, mate as greenman said make sure you get a good grinder, it will convert even a very cheap machine into something not too bad. the sunbeam EM450 is excellent.
    I had a Sunbeam EM4800 machine I think around $170-200 and was a good machine, had it for 6 years before upgradeitis took hold. but was a great machine for the money to make any coffee.

but look around, talk with our sponsors and check out the for sale section here.

Good luck! ;)

As the others have said, you need a good grinder (EM450/480 as mininium IMO) but the best machine by far that I have come across in this price range is the Sunbeam Ristretto EM2300.

You do need to carefully temp surf it and use a depressurised double basket for single shots but having done this, you will get very good espresso - far better than the Breville and Sunbeam single thermoblock machines like the EM4800 IMO which are also more expensive.

That said, if you arent willing to temp surf and want to pull walk up shots, then one of the single thermoblock machines will pull a far more consistent shot than any unPIDed domestic boiler machine.

I have had a breville ikon for nearly 2 years now, and I still love it. I changed the baskets as soon as I got it to non-pressurised and it works great and also looks great!
    I purchased mine from the "seconds king" on ebay who stocks seconds breville products. It came with the same 12 month warranty as you get from normal stores and I am still yet to find any reason why it was a "second". It cost $129 2 years ago (when they were around $350 in the shops), and delivered for an extra $20.
    Of course uve probably seen that target have them for $299 with a fairly decent breville grinder which is a good deal really too. But not sure if its worth checking out the seconds king on ebay to the grinders and machines he has on there at the moment?

also check the Breville and Sunbeam factory outlets too, pick up some bargins!! :D :D ;D ;D

I had the sunbeam EM2300. Bit of an ugly duckling but who cares. Ill get flamed for it but I did have a lot of success with preground beans. You have to find a variety that works though. Even if you can find a coffee place that will grind your beans each week that is better than nothing. The EM2300 is $100 so would only leave you $100 to spend on a grinder. Pretty sure the grinder you will get for that price will be absolute rubbish and probably not worth your dollars. Even with preground coffee I was making coffee better than most coffees Ive bought. It might be a different story however if I was drinking espressos rather than flat whites.

Im guessing you dont want a so called bean chopper.

In any case, if youre in Melbourne theres a Breville factory outlet if youre on a tight budget. (not sure if i can say that or not but im guessing the sponsors dont exactly sell $100 Brevilles?)

Aaaanyway, maybe try the for sale and you might be able to get something used for cheaper than new.

Bear in mind anything for about $200 will have almost no resale value and you might consider paying a bit more and work on a cost-per-year basis.