Thread: Sunbeam EM6910 vs Breville Ikon

Sunbeam EM6910 vs Breville Ikon

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello everyone and what a great website - been reading it off and on for a while now.

I was considering one of these machines and was wondering if one is better than the other. I like making cappucinos, Lates etc. How do they compare in terms of best overall, quality of coffee produced, ability to make good quality microfoam, noise levels (i had heard the 6910 is very loud).

Is there something else you would recommend in preference to these 2 models that represents similar investment?

Is the SB EM0480 Grinder the best match for the SB6910, would that grinder be the best option for the Ikon as well? I really dont want to spend anymore on a grinder (if you have a better suggestion i am totally open to that as well)

Thankyou very much for anyone kind enough to offer an opinion.

PS: I do realise that user skill is paramount to a good end result as well (before you tell me that this is important :) )

Cheers!!

Scott

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 vs Breville Ikon

Hey Scott - I cant comment on the Breville which is the point of your post, so Im sorry :-)

But, I do have the EM6910 and I find it a great little machine. Its slightly noisy but you get used to it, sometimes on a Sunday morning you need to wait for the rest of the house to wake up before you can begin your brew but its not that much of a deal.

Its a big step up from the sub $2-300 machines on the market and you can get a decent extraction from it. I also have the EM0480 which is a decent grinder but I initially had problems calibrating the machine or rather, having to add spacers. I sourced from Bunnings as Sunbeam were willing to provide them but were much too slow, they are good on the whole but have suffered stock issues recently in terms of parts. I still think that I could do with a much better grinder for a more consistent grind and hopefully less clumping...

Ive had both for around 6 months and am looking to upgrade already, not because I need to but just because I want to. I could get away with using this machine for at least another year or 2 and the quality of my coffee and experience gained is fantastic. Training on a Synesso / Mazzer combo has given me a glimpse of just how far I can and want to take it (if and when the pocket ever allows it) ;-)

Id highly recommend the EM6910 but would definitely look in to a mini mazzer or a better grinder, depending how serious your home habit is.

I had the 6900 for about 3 years and its just gotten to the point i need to look at a new machine.

For me its gone fine but others have had issues with the 6900

I havent used either machine but I have done a lot of reading on the 6910 and it rates pretty well with the exception to some reliability problems. The reliablility issues though are compared to the silvia which is notoriously bullet proof. I doubt very much that the breville would be any more reliable than the 6910. Pretty sure the breville is a thermoblock design like the 6910 but would probably lack all the whiz bang electronics that the 6910 does. Thermoblocks are inherently unstable temperature wise and it is only the electronics on the 6910 that keeps it under control. Assuming the Ikon lacks those it would be a simple choice for me and say the 6910 is a hands down winner without even trying one. The other thing is that the 6910 is dual thermoblock so can steam and brew at the same time. That is a very attractive feature and seals the deal I think.

Consider one of these or the nemox fenice without the grinder.

http://(no free plug here)/nemox-de...c218353d<br />

Justin

Hi Scott,

I upgraded from a Silvia and a Rocky grinder to the EM6910 and EM0480 and can only say good things about the Sunbeam setup. Great shots and very easy to operate AND clean. I dont find it noisy.

I have changed my grinder to the Compack K3 Touch, but thats a matter of personal taste rather than any issues with the EM0480.

In my opinion you cant go wrong with both Sunbeams ;D

As far as I know, the Ikon is a boiler machine, not a thermoblock. I also believe that the SB is about twice the price of the Ikon.
    Since I havent used either, I cant give any comments.
    Good luck

Well i have owned a sunbeam 6900 for almost 4 years and have just cleaned it regually and never had a single problem with it and i make at least 4 cups a day 7 days a week with it sometimes 30-50 a day with dinner parties, not regually though, never used any machine bar the SB6900 so dont know any different but the reason i think people might think there is a reliability issue is the sheer number of people who have bought them, every machine is goin to have problems but people normally only say something when something is wrong so 1000s of pople with a machine means that there will of course be a few with issues, we are all human after all.

So i like the fact you can froth and poor at the same time, un-pressurised baskets and well its a sturdy little machine, all stainless and well made from what i can see and soo easy to clean, i think it would easily be the best machine under 1000 bucks

hope it helps

ciao

Quote Originally Posted by 6673637E707579747075110 link=1245119252/6#6 date=1248905603
    sometimes 30-50 a day with dinner parties
    Wow - thats a big dinner party!

Quote Originally Posted by 6673637E707579747075110 link=1245119252/6#6 date=1248905603
    people normally only say something when something is wrong
    Actually, statistics say they dont, but glad yours has worked like a charm.

the best machine under 1000 bucks
    Bzzz - no way!

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 715650575A230 link=1245119252/4#4 date=1245207877
    I upgraded from a Silvia and a Rocky grinder to the EM6910 and EM0480
    I had a laugh, you really hated that silvia didnt ya :-? i love mine ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 1A1E382121243B2C234D0 link=1245119252/8#8 date=1248910217
    I had a laugh, you really hated that silvia didnt ya Huh i love mine *
    Loved her at first - especially after the PID - and thought I loved her for five years until the PID gave up. When I got the SB EM6910 I realized Silvia hadnt been faithful to me *:o

Maybe my technique had deteriorated over time, but I now have a new love affair with SB and the consistently great pours.

SB wont last as long as Silvia, but Im hoping its not a one night stand *;)

Having had the Ikon for just over 2 years, I believe it is a decent entry level machine (the best value in its price bracket). Major drawback I see is the 53mm (small) group handle and it is only shipped with pressurised filter baskets. Steam performance is not great either if you plan on using it to heat milk.

If you have the budget I would lean more towards the 6910, not that I have used one I should point out. It has a 58mm (although not commercial standard) group handle, both pressurised and non-pressurised filter baskets and a separate thermoblock for steam.

I have the 0480 grinder and feel it is excellent value. My main issue with it is the mess it makes. As far as quality of grind is concerned, it is good enough for the Ikon, I presume it work well with the 6910 also.

Differences as stated above, the 800&820 series has proved to be more reliable than the the more expensive opposition.

I know you didnt mention the Breville 800 or 820 but I had the BES820 to start with then upgraded to the 6910.
    These two machines are worlds apart IMPO.

Quote Originally Posted by 7F646D7B78750C0 link=1245119252/12#12 date=1250459782
    These two machines are worlds apart IMPO.
    Hi Todd,

I assume you mean the SB is still the winner ;D

Hows it going mate 8-)

Hi Rusty,

Quote Originally Posted by 1B3C3A3D30490 link=1245119252/13#13 date=1250463741
    Hows it going mate
    From great to sensational!!!!
    My boy scored his first goal in 4 years of playing football (soccer) on the weekend... a bit off topic but I couldnt help myself :P

Coffees pretty good too. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 1B3C3A3D30490 link=1245119252/13#13 date=1250463741
    I assume you mean the SB is still the winner
    Sunbeam all the way!!!

Hope things are well for you too 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 4A51584E4D40390 link=1245119252/14#14 date=1250464300
    Sunbeam all the way!!!
    The more I use the EM6910 the more impressed I am with the quality of the pour, the ease of use and the quick warm up and cleaning.

I said at the ouset it kills Silvia and Im more convinced now than ever I was - says he with fingers crossed *:D

HI Another newbie here. I like the sounds of the Sunbeam EM6910 and tossing up between that and the BES820. Looks like its the SB from what I have been reading. Really need to make my mind up and looking for advise. Thanks team

Hi lotstolearn and welcome to CS!

Before you take the plunge theres another piece of kit you should consider - the Lelit. Its an Italian built good quality machine with a sound reputation.

We stock them here in Sydney and Talk Coffee has them in Melbourne.

If either of us can be of assistance please feel free to make contact.

Cheers!

You dont upgrade FROM a Rancilio Rocky to an EM grinder....you downgrade.

As for upgrading to an EM from a Silvia, that is a moot point. I think on here the consensus was always that the Silvia well surfed would pull sweeter shots, but for entertaining many guests who like milk coffees as the one time you cannot beat the EM6910 in that category...but the EM is not going to last anywhere near as long as a well cared for Silvia either. I have had mine now for about 3 years I suppose and it is going well BUT as others have noticed the steam performance has dropped off with age.

Cheers

Caffeine Junky

+2 for the Lelit Combi.

Before I go on to talking about the Combi, I just want to point out that you’re better off comparing the EM6910 to the BES860 (Fresca – with built-in grinder). *In case you haven’t realised already, you’ll definitely need a grinder to make decent coffee. *So if you want to compare Sunbeam vs. Breville, you should be comparing:

Sunbeam EM6910/EM0480 or EM/6910/EM0450
    vs.
    Breville BES860 Fresca

The one big advantage of the Breville is that it has a 2 year warranty compared to 1 year for the Sunbeam. *

Lelit Combi
    From reading these threads you’ll discover that this machine is/has also been sold under various other names: Mokita Combi, Quaha Napoletana II & Nemox Del Opera.

I own a Napoletana II and an EM6910 so am in a good position to comment. *Although you can make great coffee using the Sunbeam, I’d definitely recommend the Lelit. *The one advantage the Sunbeam has is the 2 thermoblocks which means you can steam & pour shots at the same time. This is useful if you’re making multiple coffees for guests (e.g. more than 4 at a time). *With the Lelit (and any other dual-purpose single boiler machine) there is a delay between pouring shots & steaming milk whilst you wait for the boiler to heat up again.

In every other way I believe the Lelit is a better machine machine. *A well cared-for Lelit should last you 10 years. *The 6910 has not yet been that long but I think it’s fair to say that you’d be very fortunate to have one last that long. *

I own both a 6910 & a BES820.
    The 820s steam output is very slow compared to the 6910 and takes about twice as long to steam milk (gets a bit frustrating).
    I could never get as dry a puck as I do from the 6910, it always seemed a little soggy, even after trying different doses, tamps, grinds and even modifying the shower screen to take out the concave built-in. I always get nice dry hard pucks from the Sunbeam. :)
    Hence it always seems a lot messier to use than the 6910 (I take the 820 with me on holidays).
    The 6910 has a lot bigger reservior as well (fill less often).
    The coffee seems to extract and taste better from the Sunbeam but I dont know why... maybe because it has 58mm baskets and the Breville has 53mm ones?

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4E4457494C56250 link=1245119252/19#19 date=1253751362
    So if you want to compare Sunbeam vs. Breville, you should be comparing:

Sunbeam EM6910/EM0480 or EM/6910/EM0450
    vs.
    Breville BES860 Fresca
    I dont know why you would compare the 6910/480 with the BES860 as the BES860 has a grinder built in and the 6910 doesnt. It would make more sense to compare the Lelit with the BES860.
    I would certainly buy a coffee machine and grinder as separate items if given the choice as if one breaks down your not having to replace both.
    IMPO the Sunbeam is a far superior machine and a lot cleaner to operate than the Breville.
    That said, I have never used the Lelit so I cant comment on it.

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 282923302E2B31420 link=1245119252/21#21 date=1253756660
    I dont know why you would compare the 6910/480 with the BES860 as the BES860 has a grinder built in and the 6910 doesnt. It would make more sense to compare the Lelit with the BES860.
    I understand what you’re saying but as mentioned, I was comparing Breville & Sunbeam products. *There are several reasons why I think the 860 is more comparable to the 6910:

1. Most serious coffee users will purchase the EM0480 or EM0450 with the EM6910. *I believe Breville intended the Fresca to be aimed at this market.
    2. The 860 has unpressurised baskets, as does the 6910
    3. (I think) the 860 has a 58mm basket, as does the 6910

Thanks for the feedback on steaming capabilities of the 6910 vs 820. I assume its because the SB has a dedicated block for steam.

For the record, a friend of mine bought a 860 and had it replaced twice within the first 2 weeks. After 3 faulty machines he decided to go for something else all together. *

scottyg you are comparing machines in 2 very different price brackets, one is $200 and the other $600. So obviously the Sunbeam will probably be better.
    As you can see by this thread, coffee is a very personal thing, and even those who obvisouly havent had enough caffine yet (sorry Rusty ;D ;D ;)) who think the 6910 is better than a Silvia understand for each person it is different and personal.
    As has been suggested the 6910 is great for larger quantities of coffees due to dual thermoblocks, and is a better option if only looking at these two options. The only downside is its longevity, only time will tell.
    Good luck

My two cents - I have had a breville Ikon for the past year now and at *first i was a bit peeved with it. But once i replaced the baskets and got the angle grinder onto the group handle... WOW! the difference was awesome and i am now like a proud father. For what i paid for the ikon i couldnt wish for anything more. I get very sweet shots and the milk silks up beautifully. *:)

I have been getting my moneys worth out of my Ikon...but...after aproximately 5 coffees a day, times 10+ weeks, it seems to be slowing down...I am not sure whether I have worn it out or upgraditis is creeping in...descales dont seem to help get it pumping with full force anymore.
    PS...its a great learners tool...and most definitely the biggest thing I learnt was that unpressurised baskets together with the pullman made a massive difference to the coffee.

Have you used the little tool to poke up through the steam wand holes and make sure they arent blocked?

I have both machines in question, one for home, one for the shop.

The Sunbeam does a better extraction and is generally much quicker to prepare multiple milk based coffees with.

With the Ikon, by the time you pull the shot, then let the boiler get up to temp and steam your milk, the crema can dissapate a bit, nothing too tragic, but it does not last in the cup for too long.

The Ikon is superior for steaming milk, creates very smooth velvety microfoam and gets 150ml or so of milk up to temp pretty quickly, much quicker than the 6910 (this comment ofcourse excludes "elemenet heating time" and is purely comparing them once they are steaming).

with only a 1 - 2 cup std (non pressurised) filter for the Ikon, I dont split the shot, so when making 2 coffees, have to go through the whole process twice, a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world.

One other thing I did with the ikon is knock out the eject button from the PF, I found that coffee oils etc were building up in it and tainting the taste of the coffee. This means that once the pour has started, it falls straight through the big hole at the bottom (rather than the two spouts) but at least theres no nasty left overs ruining the shot.