Thread: Warning: Buying Sunbeam EM6910 from Ebay Seller - Warranty issues

Warning: Buying Sunbeam EM6910 from Ebay Seller - Warranty issues

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi all,

This is my first post, but I figured Id give a heads up to people looking at the Sunbeam EM6910. If you buy it from Ebay, Sunbeam will not warrant it, they ask for a receipt from an authorised retailer. I bought mine from Ebay from a seller and it was brand new. When it started making noises and pouring water from the group head uncontrollably (I had to turn it off at the power point to make it stop - turning it back on again just makes the group head continue expelling water), I tried calling Sunbeam for warranty support.

So just a warning to all looking to buy this machine. :(

Regards

TC

Re: Warning: Buying Sunbeam EM6910 from Ebay Seller - Warranty issues

Quote Originally Posted by 6774656E3268616337060 link=1246325347/0#0 date=1246325347
    Hi all,

This is my first post, but I figured Id give a heads up to people looking at the Sunbeam EM6910. If you buy it from Ebay, Sunbeam will not warrant it, they ask for a receipt from an authorised retailer. I bought mine from Ebay from a seller and it was brand new. When it started making noises and pouring water from the group head uncontrollably (I had to turn it off at the power point to make it stop - turning it back on again just makes the group head continue expelling water), I tried calling Sunbeam for warranty support.

So just a warning to all looking to buy this machine. *:(

Regards
    Hi arch4nge1 and welcome,

I suspect thats the case with many dodgybay purchases. Often, unscrupulous vendors dont warrant nor purchase what they sell either. Others offer a warranty on sale and then tell you to take it (at your expense) to an authorised service agent should you require service.

There is frequently no Tax invoice, no GST is paid and these shady people just rort all of us for their personal gain.

It really is a case of caveat emptor. A few dollars saved upon purchase can often lead to heartbreak.

I hope that your repair is not too expensive...

2mcm

Really??!!
    I just paid the money to the eBay seller..
    But I dont know if the item still has warranty.
    Still feel weired that the eBay seller must not steal the item from Sunbeam, then why Sunbeam can not offer warranty?
    So..maybe actually Sunbeam sell some crap item to some on line dealer which is faulty then can get rid of it and make some money too.
    Otherwise I can not image why the same product from Sunbeam, why the eBay seller can not get the warranty....

At least you can claim it via paypal to the eBay seller, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 373B383D3A23313A540 link=1246325347/2#2 date=1246350418
    At least you can claim it via paypal to the eBay seller, right?
    Haha - good luck with that! ;)

A_M

It is about the seller not the machine ....

While many products are sold with warranty etc.... If your not sure that all is OK... Then DONt.

I doubt that SB would off load faulty units to e-bay sellers... However that does not mean that some people may obtain items via any number of methods and on sell..... If not an Authorised dealer then I can understand why SB or any other supplier will not cop any claims...

Is the seller doing a one off or has a number to sell ?

On the black tage at the back... there should be a 4 digit code stamped into the tag... Have a close look and get back back with the info..

PS where are you located...

Remember not all people proposing to be service agent are...

I am sorry if my previous post offend any people about the Sunbeam.
    I just can not understand why the same model product from the same factory/company, but the eBay one is worst.

In my experience, only the eBay or other on-line shop seller get some faulty product from factory either the company know/allow it or not.

And I always believe the on-line shop or eBay seller can offer cheaper price is because they save more on ads, stuff or other cost of the real shop.
    If dealer and eBay seller have the same reasonable commercial benefit.
    Evenmore, I have heard some people bought a 599.- Harvey Norman, when it has huge discount, then I do believe the same price should be found on the eBay seller as well.

However, the reality is different than I thought, I do have lots trouble to get some faulty stuff on Australian eBay and on-line shop who normally from neighbor-China...
    These people use every way to increase their benefit.

So..if the sunbeam have the product factory in China (which is very common for every brand), then the factory in China do have the opportunity that to get some faulty item and sell them on eBay.
    And of course, these faulty stuff are without warranty..
    Thats why I said in my previous post that faulty item may come from Sunbeam factory and enter the eBay.

brett230873

Interesting conspiracy theory Colin; however, with brand loyalty being such a strong motivational force in contemporary retail modus operandi, I find it hard to believe. Sunbeam love em or hate em is an international brand name attempting to compete with a European origin of heritage in relation to the Espresso market. Their factory outlet store couldnt possilby be interested in offloading a couple of reconditioned machines at the expense of their branding and customer relations. Dodgy ebay sales are most likely small time dodgy people with no loyalty to any brand or customer base.

hazchem

After some recent experiences and court appearances relating to Ebay and theft from my employer, I will NEVER buy anything from there again.

I will also strongly recommend that you only ever purchase from an authorised reseller, regardless of the product. Purchasing outside of the authorised network of any supplier puts you at risk of not having any warranty at the very least. Essentially, the costs of covering warranty are worked into the wholesale price of goods, so that the local supplier or manufacturer can accrue funds in anticipation of warranty and service issues in the future.

If something on Ebay or some webstore is insanely cheap compared to the advertised SRP or the street/go price you can see at another retailer, you should ask yourself why. At the very least have the seller confirm to you that the goods have been sourced legitimately and that the warranty you are being offered is the exact same one you would get if purchasing from a large bricks and mortar retailer like HN or Myer. Even then Id still be very wary.

My theory? Actually its truth happen in the real world but maybe not in eBay au.

I do believe there are lot of dodgy eBay seller, especially in Australia.
    Sorry if I offend any one.
    The truth is I original come from Taiwan and there are two big on line auction platform. They do have some dodgy seller but the website will do something to decrease the number.
    But in eBay au, I had two very bad experience and contact with paypal and eBay, but they do nothing or nothing they can do.
    No mention some other international on line shop like amazon etc, I spend a lot of money on them and get some good stuff with cheaper price.
    Therefore I still believe on line shop still can save some cost then share the benefit with customer, just not in eBay au tho.

I have, never, in some 50 purchases from Ebay had any issue to complain - save for a ring that I got to keep and the cash was refunded to me...

BUT - you have to be smart about it. I dont by stuff with moving parts generally - static memory, games for the kids Nintendo etc all seem safe. I have bought watches that have all been excellent - but again from power sellers with excellent histories... I have bought things of private sellers before, but again good histories and safe products - like vintage Thermoses...

I would never buy a coffee machine, especially new from ebay. I might consider an ex commercial, but only with a heap of photos, good comms from the seller pre-sale and knowing that I was likely up for a full re-build (anything less required is a bargain!).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 38343732352C3E355B0 link=1246325347/5#5 date=1246424110
    faulty item may come from Sunbeam factory
    Sadly, I can confirm this happens in China. Sunbeam do have a factory in China. But whether or not its happening with this product remains to be seen.

For those new to life in the PRC, the story usually goes....

Big named company (Sunbeam, Callaway, etc) contracts factory to produce 5,000 of product X (Espresso machines, Putters, whatever).

Factory assumes 10% not up to QC and makes 7,000 (yes 7,000. Not 5,500)

Factory applies QC to the production and sends 5000 units to Company A.

Factory sells 1,300 over the unlicenced "over-run" cheaply.

Factory sells 700 products that failed the QC even more cheaply.

Pirates reverse engineer product and make a picece o shite copy and sell it even more cheaply.

Unscrupulous traders then buy these products and flog them off: swap meets, evilbay, etc.

It boggles the mind to see what gets knocked off up here. Pharmaceuticals, IT (theres even an iPhone that aint an iPhone!), leather goods, clothes, sporting equipment, shampoo.

Caveat Emptor. If it seems too good to be true, it most likely is.

Epic76

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a cheap Rolex? Its legit, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by 16233A306465530 link=1246325347/10#10 date=1246463570
    It boggles the mind to see what gets knocked off up here. *Pharmaceuticals, IT (theres even an iPhone that aint an iPhone!), leather goods, clothes, sporting equipment, shampoo.

P.S. *Anyone wanna buy a cheap Rolex? *Its legit, I promise!
    It gets worse here in the states when you examine this situation from a political viewpoint. Here in the U.S.A., I can buy [fill in your choice of goods here] made in Chine, a country with a human rights record which is dismal on a good day. I can but lead-tainted childrens toys, poisoned dog food, poisoned toothpaste, and more, yet I cant legally smoke a Cuban Cigar... :o

YES we all know there are a lot problem happen to stuff mad in China.
    Some of my friend even try not to buy anything from China.
    However, according to a financist even said that on the news.
    He said the living-related stuff which made in China which is cheaper is a good thing to help the medium income family can enjoy their life like high income family (something like that)

I do not 100% agree with him, but the truth is I do the same thing.
    As a student without normal income, casually what I should to buy is the cheapest but not crap one.
    Then I can enjoy the good coffee with the cheap entry level machine which is made in China.

However, I still think even cheap stuff, they still need acceptable quality control.
    And what happen in eBay au, I believe not only these dodgy seller is the only problem.
    The auction platform and related NGO or government should take the resposibility either.
    The several problem happen to me when I buy the dodgy thing from eBay, then I try to contact with eBay and Department of Fair Trading, QLD and Australian competition and consumer commission.

The answer I got from them are simliar like:
    They wont involve the argument between seller and buyer, we need to communicate by ourself.
    or
    They will save this case and announce it, let other people wont get treat.
    Or just tole me next time should be careful....

I think thats the main reason the dodgy seller are so popular in eBay au...

Just rang Sunbeam re my sunbeam grinder em0480 having issues with the grinder not grinding the beans fine enough, told her I sent in the pamplet with my details. Told her I bought it from eBay, she told me that they dont put the warranty cards in the products anymore.

I hung up after that.

How come my Cafe Series Espresso Machine worth $600 odd dollars bought from Myer 2 years ago had one of those cards? I doubt I will be getting Sunbeam again.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4E4B5C4F4245502A0 link=1246325347/13#13 date=1246853436
    Just rang Sunbeam re my sunbeam grinder em0480 having issues with the grinder not grinding the beans fine enough, told her I sent in the pamplet with my details. Told her I bought it from eBay, she told me that they dont put the warranty cards in the products anymore.

I hung up after that.

How come my Cafe Series Espresso Machine worth $600 odd dollars bought from Myer 2 years ago had one of those cards? I doubt I will be getting Sunbeam again.
    Things change with the times and some might say the No card in the box = GREEN as many do not use... These days I often see a reg option via the web..

As to warranty... Its been done to death...

SB along with every one else are not required or obliged to provide warranty, when it comes to a transfer and or sold by a non authorised agent..

Ya buy cheep and on teh side you accept the outcome... It is like people cracking MS / Cad programs and other software etc and then complaining and expecting the supplier to provide free support...

I bet if you were running a company then your take/view; on the cost of providing support and warranty would soon swing around... When it came to teh crunch... It impacts on the bottom line and thus impacts on share holders etc etc... Ya can not always have ya cake and eat it and then complain there is no cake left..

Update - got a spacer, going to put it in when I get a chance :). Was free. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3F3A2D3E3334215B0 link=1246325347/15#15 date=1247032280
    Update - got a spacer, going to put it in when I get a chance :). Was free. :)
    If it was from Sunbeam, it wasnt free. You paid for it when you bought the grinder. They just didnt build it right in the first place.

What is free is your labour - now that youre doing it for them...I had a laugh ;D