Thread: wet puck? EM4800c

wet puck? EM4800c

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi I dont know if this is covered elsewhere. I am a newbie to this whole coffee business at home so bear with me, I have a new EM4800C sunbeam, *and a new EM0480 Grinder. On the sunbeam DVD there is talk of a dry puck of coffee after you have used it. mine is sopping wet with water floating on top of the basket. It doesnt matter what grind i use, from 15 to 20 and even using commercially ground coffee for my machine from my friendly coffee roaster. Is this normal, shouldnt it be dry [ish]. Also if i use a slightly finer grind down to say 13 and lightly tamped [unlike dvd which wants me to lean into it] there is still water on top, and usually starts spitting out steam almost straight away. Am i doing something fundamentally wrong, or is there an issue with my machine. Sunbeam by the way said it is the grinder even though i explained the various grinds i was using. Any help greatly appreciated. :-/

Re: wet puck? EM4800c

Nop nothing wrong with technique.

Reason for the wet puck is the double floor filter basket which restricts water flow to create a false pressure and fake crema.

When you turn the pump off, theres not enough pressure to push water through the basket and u get a wet puck with the residual water left in the basket.

I also have a feeling theres no pressure release valve. When you stop the shot, the pressure isnt released out a tube into the drip tray as with other machines. IIRC, the manual says to wait until the machine has cooled before unlocking the PF.

But yes, a double floor filter doesnt help the equation. Theres plenty of threads around on how to improve that situation.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1192424067
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1199980798

Hi All,
    Quote Originally Posted by 082E3926217E4F0 link=1247020098/1#1 date=1247021654
    Reason for the wet puck is the double floor filter basket which restricts water flow to create a false pressure and fake crema.
    Sorry to disagree with you Gav, but I say the dual wall is not the issue.
    I have this exact same model, but I have modified the basket (see attached link) to only have the one wall.
    Therefor no single hole wall on the base.
    Yet I am getting the ecaxt same results as Rosco.

The only time I get a dry puck is when the the grind is to fine and it chokes the machine.
    I think the thermoblock keeps the element on and turns the water to steam, hence no soggy puck.
    But I like my coffee within a 2 minute pour.
    So I get a good coffee but have a soggy puck, bugger eh...

I would be happy to find out what is going wrong too.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234064740/18

Mrseca.

thanks for the replies, i have just made another attempt and using the plastic tamper i have used a lot more force as per the dvd and the results are better, that is there is still water on top but at least the puck is not a sodden mess but holds together. So some progress. the sunbeam rep also sent me the pdf file to take a washer out of the grinder, as she is emphatic that it is the grinder at fault, is that overkill at this stage?
    Also i am booked in to do their coffee class this saturday in melbourne so that may give me more light on the subject as well

Quote Originally Posted by 4A5554424446270 link=1247020098/3#3 date=1247026479
    Hi All,
    Quote Originally Posted by 082E3926217E4F0 link=1247020098/1#1 date=1247021654
    Sorry to disagree with you Gav, but I say the dual wall is not the issue.
    I have this exact same model, but I have modified the basket (see attached link) to only have the one wall.
    Therefor no single hole wall on the base.
    Yet I am getting the ecaxt same results as Rosco.

The only time I get a dry puck is when the the grind is to fine and it chokes the machine.
    I think the thermoblock keeps the element on and turns the water to steam, hence no soggy puck.
    But I like my coffee within a 2 minute pour.
    So I get a good coffee but have a soggy puck, bugger eh...

I would be happy to find out what is going wrong too.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1234064740/18

Mrseca.

Its the most likely cause when ur using a double floor basket on a sunbeam with no 3 way valve.

underextraction, low dose etc can also cause a soggy puck.

let your palate be the judge. If the puck looks like poo, it doesnt necessarily mean the cup is crap.

;)

Quote Originally Posted by 5E786F707728190 link=1247020098/5#5 date=1247028086
    let your palate be the judge. If the puck looks like poo, it doesnt necessarily mean the cup is crap
    Too True.
    The only disadvantage with my soggy pucks is the soggy mess it makes at point of knocking :D.

Mrseca.

I was hoping that my soon to arrive new non pressurized basket would fix the sloppy puck problem too. Live on the sloppy puck but soon to arrive it better shots (thanks mrseca!!) :D

I had majorly soggy wet pucks when I first attempted to make coffee ( I was using supermarket pre-ground brown overdried cr@p though!) ...then all of a sudden after a week or two they began to get drier and firmer...it may have been the tamping and the freshly ground beans that helped me achieve this milestone but whatever it was it makes me feel slightly more capable of producing a drinkable brew!.