Thread: considering my first grinder and espresso machine..

considering my first grinder and espresso machine..

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    hi all, first post from a long time lurker!

been doing a heap of research on espresso machines and grinders to go with. atm i releive my coffee addiction either through my trusty stovetop or my local cafe :)

having lurked for a very long time i think its time to take a plunge and move up to a real grinder and espresso machine (currently using an old coffeebean slicer)

unfortunately im cash strapped (cliched uni student) but ive been saving up a little and have a tight budget of around $500 in total. im definitely looking for a new grinder and for this i was thinking possibly a 2nd hand doserless rocky as they seem to be well regarded machines around here.

as for an espresso machine im thinking of investing in a breville ikon bes400 (probably from the factory outlet in smith st to fit in the budget) cos it seems to be a respectable boiler-based machine. my other option i was considdering is the sunbeam ristretto 2300 (and a brand new rocky!) cos ive read a few times that the ristretto isnt too bad for a cheap machine (to tide me over till grad/updragitis strikes).

hopefully with whatever is left over i can grab a decent tamper and cheapie knocktube and tamper mat. (or possibly a popcorn machine for roasting!)

any advice/suggestions?

Caffeine Junky

Re: considering my first grinder and espresso machine..

Not a bad couple of options for your budget Sameer, remember to allow a few bucks for an unpressurised basket.

Im sure someone will suggest you get a new Rocky and enjoy plunger until you can buy yourself a decent machine.

If youre not in a huge hurry you can wait and see what pops up for sale on here. I paid $350 for a Quaha Napoletana II (Italian made, 3-way valve, brass boiler, built-in Lux grinder) from another CS member which makes excellent coffee. Although this machine is 5 years old, like most equipment owned by CS members, it was well maintained. Im confident it will last me several more years.

The Napoletana is currently providing coffee for an office of 6 coffee drinkers who no longer buy take away anymore. Not just for the cost but because the quality is now better at work. Unfortunately I usually have to make all these coffees!

haha yeha i dont think its possible to read up about coffee on this website and miss the fact that double walled baskets are evil :P

i have been monitoring the for sale thread to see what sort of equipment is for sale and what sort or price 2nd hand stuff seems to go for :)

Quote Originally Posted by 667478707067150 link=1247921598/2#2 date=1248079732
    haha yeha i dont think its possible to read up about coffee on this website and miss the fact that double walled baskets are evil *
    For the life of me I cant work out how they are even legal! In addition to questionable coffee, the cr@p that gets caught between the two layers is almost impossible to completely remove and drips revoltingly into the next cup!

that rocky for sale in Sydney for $300 would be very nice, might cost another $20 *to get it to MLB......
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1247221545

keep drinking well grinded stovetop while you save a bit more?

oh and welcome to CS

yeah i did see that rocky in the for sale thread but i figure for another $100 or so i can hopefully grab the rocky brand new w/ warranty and after sales support. plus get to play with it a bit before hand :)

now to decide on w/ or w/out the doser. i still cant decide after reading the posts in teh grinders thread.. the way i see it is messy bench vs having to clean the doser + clumping every day :S

either way i think im sold on the rocky!

Hi sameer, when I had my Rocky I ground into a small container and then dosed over my knock box and then used the WDT technique to get rid of any clumping, mess factor was almost nil using this method!!

Sameer I got a doser Rocky and it is as u suspect fantastic!! With a simply mod I dont need to clean the doser chamber and it risers straight unto GH making very little mess.

As for espresso machine go the Ikon over the respretto!! The Ikon for what u pay it a cracker of a little machine. Good combo.

Good luck!

Have you considered the EM0480 - they can be had new for $180...or the EM0450 can be bought for about $140.

Quote Originally Posted by 687D6A6A61626E610F0 link=1247921598/6#6 date=1248344677
    Hi sameer, when I had my Rocky I ground into a small container and then dosed over my knock box and then used the WDT technique to get rid of any clumping, mess factor was almost nil using this method!!
    u know i never actually thoguht of just keeping a box under the spout thingy... i was imagining a huge mat or newspaper to catch everything to minimise the mess :P

Quote Originally Posted by 6262626C6069696A6A0F0 link=1247921598/7#7 date=1248723220
    Sameer I got a doser Rocky and it is as u suspect fantastic!! With a *simply mod I dont need to clean the doser chamber and it risers straight unto GH making very little mess.

As for espresso machine go the Ikon over the respretto!! The Ikon for what u pay it a cracker of a little machine. Good combo.
    i think cos ill be grinding on demand and only making 1-2 shots at a time that it might be easier to go doserless and not have the extra doser bit to clean every time (esp in those mad morning rushes!)

and i am leaning towards getting an ikon, but might wait till the fathers day sales (time to save up a bit more to afford it) and possibly score a deal on the machine. if not might hit up the factory outlet on smith st in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 7B3C3F7C77670F0 link=1247921598/8#8 date=1248745481
    Have you considered the EM0480 - they can be had new for $180...or the EM0450 can be bought for about $140.
    i did think about the sunbeam grinders, but from what ive read (esp on this forum) the rocky will last me a lot longer and produce a better grind than the em0480. im hoping itll outlast whichever espresso machine i pair with it and still provide till upgraditis strikes!

thx everyone for the help!

btw i dont know if im allowed to ask here (dont think they are a sponsor), but has anyone bought beans from a certain coffee roaster located on carlisle st? in addition to being a bit cheaper than other coffee ive found online they are just down the road from where i live which would be v convenient if they arent a half bad caffeine supplier!

sameer, if you have the luxury of having a roaster just down the road, have a coffee there, and if you like it...buy some!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by 677579717166140 link=1247921598/10#10 date=1248783428
    btw i dont know if im allowed to ask here (dont think they are a sponsor), but has anyone bought beans from a certain coffee roaster located on carlisle st? in addition to being a bit cheaper than other coffee ive found online they are just down the road from where i live which would be v convenient if they arent a half bad caffeine supplier!
    Ive been using them for 10 years now. I dont live so near to them any more but I still make the occasional trip out to see them.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 475559515146340 link=1247921598/10#10 date=1248783428
    has anyone bought beans from a certain coffee roaster
    Nope- and I wouldnt because theyre one of the many who roast em and then chuck them in buckets, bins or bags to get dusty, handled by snotty kids and to go stale. If they really cared about the bean rather than the buck, I doubt theyd do that...Youd be almost as well off with supermarket stuff IMHO.

When it comes to specialty beans, you gets what you pays for ;)

Howdy, a newbie question for you all. I have a EMO480 grinder and I have noticed others on this site saying they are grinding between 15 and 20. Im currentlly grinding at 3 to get a passable coffee from my gaggia cubika. Is there something gaga with the grinder ? Ive also heard of a washer that can be removed from the grinder ??? Any help would be tops. Ps I dont think the machine is at fault because depending on dose, tamp and tightness of the group handle I can nearly get a syrup like shot out of it. Id just like a little more to play with on the grind. Cheers :-?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 616077776C69607D050 link=1247921598/14#14 date=1250241041
    Howdy, a newbie question for you all. I have a EMO480 grinder and I have noticed others on this site saying they are grinding between 15 and 20. Im currentlly grinding at 3 to get a passable coffee from my gaggia cubika. Is there something gaga with the grinder ? Ive also heard of a washer that can be removed from the grinder ??? Any help would be tops. Ps I dont think the machine is at fault because depending on dose, tamp and tightness of the group handle I can nearly get a syrup like shot out of it. Id just like a little more to play with on the grind. Cheers :-?
    You need to ADD a washer not remove...

Then again as has been said a 100 times.. The value is an indicator... So 3 or 33 it does not matter, if it does what you want... It is Not like some one is pointing a speed gun at you :D

Use the CS search feature to get all the info you need..

em0480 washer spacer grind etc etc

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1248646363

Thanks for that. Ill start searching now. cheers

I wouldnt bother with a ristretto. Ive tried using one with single floor baskets and a good grinder, The pull shots really weird, Its hard to find a good grind. Forget about 30ml in 30 seconds you have to just adjust to taste. When you do find a grind where shots are tasting drinkable (never great) Its tainted by a plasticy flavour from the water tank. yuk

Milk steaming? takes about 5 minutes, milk used to taste a bit thin.

I think I would drink from a pluger rather then a ristretto.

Minimum get a Rocky. For you money, if it were me I would forget a machine and buy a K3 and plunger or I would watch out on the bay of evil for second hand commercial. Just make sure parts are available before you buy. Machines come and go, good grinders are forever. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 24363A323225570 link=1247921598/10#10 date=1248783428
    I orginally bought my machine here and continued buying coffee for a couple of months after. I was in there the other day to buy some de-scaler and noticed an 06 Silvia for sale at 07 prices.
    I took up roasting my own coffee because these guys were not consistently fresh. Maybe I should thank them. :) I have had good coffee from them but its really pot luck. Buying their house blend didnt seem to be any insurance or gaurantee against getting stale coffee.