Thread: Nespresso

Nespresso

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    /\/i Guys,

I am not a coffee aficionado, so I dont want to spend too much money on a machine that I wont make full use of - but I do like coffee and having tasted a nespresso coffee in King St, I did like the flavour.

So what I am wondering is, is there any trap for new comers with Nespresso machines? - besides the obvious: must by their coffee.

Re: Nespresso

Unfortunately for an answer, I doubt whether many (any?) here would have experience purchasing a Nespresso, and the undoubtedly stale coffee it uses--but good luck.

I would also suggest that at each price point there is an alternative that would give far superior coffee--although it would probably require more work and a bit more clean-up.

Greg

Theres a discussion about pods awhile ago. You might want to do a search.

From what I remember, someone said they put a little instant in the pods?

Another thing that I was unaware of, and which came up in that discussion, is that there is a difference between "pods" and "capsules".
    Look up the thread.

FWIW, wouldnt be happy with either.

Nespresso.... what a bad word. my cuz loves them, no cleaning and fast coffee but where is the love (and flavor)

We have a nespresso capsule machine (which is now waiting for our next garage sale as we have replaced it with a Giotto - thanks Chris at Talk Coffee). Look, it makes OK coffee, much better than instant, but we found the coffee which of course you have to buy from them as you say, very inconsistent. The occasional cup was not too bad, but most of the time was pretty ordinary. Of course the coffee is stale by the time you get it let alone the time you use it as you have to buy in quantities. The steam arm is pathetic and we gave up using it, and heated the milk in the microwave and frothed it in a glass milk frother which made making for a few people a bit of a mission to say the least. Doing it this way you can really only make two at a time and by the time the next ones are ready the first people have finished theirs. Hopeless for dinner parties !!! I would not recommend it, as Greg says, there will be a better alternative in its price range. One where you can use fresh coffee.
    Good luck in your search !! ;)

A friend recently called me inside to see his new pride and joy, a Nespresso and milk frother, I tried to look enthusiastic but when he made me a coffee and asked me what I thought of it I had to tell him that it was better than Blend 43 but only just--"sorry mate" but I had to be honest!! ;) ;)
    Not my cuppa Im afraid.................. :( :( :( :(

Some purchasing genius at work thought it would be a good idea to replace a old commercial machine with a Nespresso (despite significant protests). Apparently people were afraid of the steam, and it was going to be "cheaper" to replace with a Nespresso machine?

Taste aside, the major issue, which our purchasing friend soon began to regret, is that the nespresso pods/capsules/whatever are horiffically expensive per cup compared to some quality home roasted CS green (JBM, COE aside) or some quality roasted CS Brown.

Cheap machine but expensive refills.

You dont need to spend big money on a machine, a good fresh beans a half decent grinder and a bodum will do better than nespresso - In my honest opinion.

I lived on supermarket beans for years and years and was pretty happy- only because I didnt realise the alternative.

Welcome to coffee snobs Adamoh, enjoy the quest.

Had one of theses a few years back from my folks who had long since moved on. As others have said - easy to use, but really only marginally better than instant coffee.

The other downside on most of the Nespresso machines is the milk steaming. I think all but one lack a milk steaming function, instead automatically dispensing up super frothy dish soap bubbles - or most likely none at all, and you have to buy a separate aeroccino unit for the milk.

2 work colleagues hav bought them and I gave one a try. I had a shot from a black capsule and it wasnt too bad. Much better than instant, but it lacked body and the crema was false.
    I think theyre okay for a no fuss, fairly consistent, no mess & average coffee, as long as you dont care about the enviomental impact of the used capsules, fairly expensive cost per coffee and being restricted to a proprietry system.

Best coffee we have ever had and all our friends agree. They love choosing the different blends. NO way is this coffee instant, it is always fresh. We all know that grounded coffee starts to go stale within a few days of being opened.

You buy the coffee direct which cuts out the middle person (Coles). I love dealing direct with the girls at Nespresso or I order it online.

My machine came with aerochino attached with is completely automated and makes HOT milk so easily. The aluminium capsules are completely recycable - I am a greeny at heart.

Easy to use and no mess goes without saying.

Adamoh, I had to give my input. Strongly disagree with the negative comments. Maybe have a look on the Nespresso website - heaps of info about where they source their coffee.

Good Luck! :)

:o

Quote Originally Posted by 67656961616F6875060 link=1248435005/11#11 date=1248662998

Wot he said

:o once again.

Look... Taste is subjective.. if a quick snack from the bottom of the cats litter tray is as good to you as Almond Roca, then thats fine.

Is the coffee in those podules fair traded? Is it unadulterated? Organic. Recycling a wasteful aluminum capsule may appear to be green, but what about getting coffee that is packaged with no metals at all? How much does one cup of coffee from such a device cost?

Coffee should not be about convenience and speed. It should be about taste. It should be prepared and served with care as a pleasure food, not quickly created as a drug.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B5D585A4D454D280 link=1248435005/10#10 date=1248662801
    We all know that grounded coffee starts to go stale within a few days of being opened.
    Ground coffee is stale within 3 minutes of being ground.

Fresh coffee expires gas after roasting.
    Even ground coffee, if fresh, still lets out this gas.
    If Nespresso capsules contained fresh coffee the seals would burst.
    Therefore they must contain stale coffee.
    Simple logic.

I roast my own coffee and seal it in bags afterwards.
    therefore I know what Ive stated above to be true.

supreme do you have any experience with roasting coffee or tasting coffee thats been freshly roasted and ground and then compared it with a Nespresso coffee?

My Expobar Leva machine makes hot milk easily and is not messy when it comes to making coffee.
    Admittedly theres a bit more effort involed than with a Nespresso but then again the return on effort is definetly worth it, as the difference in quality is enormous.

The cynical side of me suspects a troll under the bridge with a paycheque from Nespresso (Mr Clooney, is that you?)

The less cynical side thinks supreme is simply a perfect example of Nespressos target audience. The fact is, not everyone is in to coffee the way most of us are. They want a simple, no fuss cuppa joe. At the end of the day if you like nespresso, great, but Ill have a glass of water instead thanks.

In regards to where they source their coffee from, they probably pay dirt cheap fair trade stuff to tick the social consience box. I prefer direct trade when I can as I know the farmer has been paid well above the fair trade price for his coffee, without a compromise on the quality.

brett230873

I have had lots of Nexpresso thanks to friends who like convenience and imho, it is to espresso as Fish Fingers is to seafood.

Quote Originally Posted by 6D7D6A7B7B3D3C3F37383C0F0 link=1248435005/16#16 date=1248666870
    it is to espresso as Fish Fingers is to seafood
    giggled like a schoolgirl, but I like fish fingers :-[

Quote Originally Posted by 7C7A7F7D6A626A0F0 link=1248435005/10#10 date=1248662801
    Best coffee we have ever had and all our friends agree.
    Snort!

You and your friends really need to get out more or frequent McDonalds drive through less often! ;D

I hope this doesnt degenerate in to a bashing session, but I think its worth pointing out to Supreme, this is Coffee*S-N-O-B-S*.

fruity lexia from a cask is to wine as Nespresso is to coffee as far as most of us are concerned.

Oh, and unless youre going to sit there and scrape the grounds out of the spent pods, I doubt theyre going to get recycled.

Ciao

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 76707577606860050 link=1248435005/10#10 date=1248662801
    Best coffee we have ever had and all our friends agree
    Clearly, you are yet to try my special compost shot....100% coffee free and it tastes even better than Nespresso!*8-)

Quote Originally Posted by 41606B6B6C76050 link=1248435005/17#17 date=1248667671
    You and your friends really need to get out more or frequent McDonalds drive through less often
    Im with you on that one Den...

We all have to start somewhere, however Nespresso is 1 very small step above Caterers blend and ridiculously overpriced as well.

For mine, Id rather have a tea bag.

Apols if that hurts, but no amount of marketing buck and sexy packaging will make the goose lay a golden egg. As they say, its pretty much impossible to polish a......

2mcm

A friend asked me about these machines when he was looking for*something to buy.
    He had been quoted a price for the capsules that he said worked out to 70 cent each.

My comments to him were:
    As a guide, a shot of coffee is generally around 7g.

So, allowing for some wastage, a 250g pack of coffee should get you around 26 coffees.

26 * .70 = $18.20

Which is $72.80 per kilo for your coffee. Seems high to me.

Retail price for top notch fresh roasted is $40 per kilo.

So, yes, I agree they work out to be on the expensive side.
    But hey, if it floats your boat, good for you. Just dont expect a bunch of snobs to come along for the ride.

tbh, i prefer a well-used cat-litter tray scent to nescafe. itd smell of roquefort + brie w/ a hint (or more) of piquancy.

nespresso just smells of dirt.

So much bagging out on this thread!!! *:o *Understand that Nespresso is a dirty word to anyone who truly loves coffee, but lets encourage Adamoh one step at a time to develop his/her passion for coffee!

I also would never recommend such a machine, but I just had a look at how much Nespresso machines start at. *Cant find anything under $349. *If this is approx your budget for a machine, why not look at starting with a Sunbeam or similar that can at least take real coffee? *

If you can find the $s for a decent grinder, that would be well worth the outlay!

All coffee snobs have to start somewhere!
    Slowcoffee. *:)

Consumers buy these machines from me everyday at work. As much as i try to persuade them into a manual machine in the same price range i am usually met with `My friend has one and they make great coffee & I want one.` and often think that the a manual machine will produce inferior coffee. They don`t want to listen about grinders, fresh beans etc etc.
    I must state customers come in on a mission to get Nespresso machines, nothing seems to dissuade them from their end goal & making coffe isn`t one of them.
    Good luck to them.

Quote Originally Posted by 514E4D55414D44444747220 link=1248435005/22#22 date=1248669932
    .....I also would never recommend such a machine, but I just had a look at how much Nespresso machines start at. *Cant find anything under $349. *If this is approx your budget for a machine, why not look at starting with a Sunbeam or similar that can at least take real coffee? *
    ......All coffee snobs have to start somewhere!
    Slowcoffee. *:)
    OK- I can be positive and helpful (No, really, I can!)
    Try this: Get an Aeropress (aout $25 USD in the States, delivered) and spend all the rest that you can afford on a quality grinder. The Aeropress makes a GREAT cup of coffee very quickly, is about as dependable as you can get, and can make cup after cup quickly, and as far as being green, all you need is hot water. I have never had a bad cup of coffee from mine. Just feed it quality coffee. You can even brew it over ice, and add cold water for a delicious iced coffee.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 13302525305F0 link=1248435005/23#23 date=1248671290
    Consumers buy these machines from me everyday at work. As much as i try to persuade them into a manual machine in the same price range i am usually met with `My friend has one and they make great coffee & I want one.` and often think that the a manual machine will produce inferior coffee. They don`t want to listen about grinders, fresh beans etc etc.
    I must state customers come in on a mission to get Nespresso machines, nothing seems to dissuade them from their end goal & making coffe isn`t one of them.
    Good luck to them.
    Clearly they think that George C will sleep with them if they buy one ;D::)

2mcm

Adamoh

I have been really happy with my machine and the coffee.

You liked the flavour. The choice is obviously yours... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 11171210070F07620 link=1248435005/10#10 date=1248662801
    Best coffee we have ever had and all our friends agree. They love choosing the different blends. NO way is this coffee instant, it is always fresh. We all know that grounded coffee starts to go stale within a few days of being opened.
    Do you live in Brisbane
    If so I challenge you to a coffee making challenge
    Your Nespresso against my Galatea
    To judge which machine makes the best coffee

I will also challenge you that over time I will also come ahead in the cost per cup mathematics

KK

Quote Originally Posted by 62464F4F4C4C7662465A4446290 link=1248435005/27#27 date=1248672373
    Do you live in Brisbane
    If so I challenge you to a coffee making challenge
    Your Nespresso against my Galatea
    To judge which machine makes the best coffee

I will also challenge you that over time I will also come ahead in the cost per cup mathematics

KK
    I will be so bold as to put up my old Saeco Gran Crema to beat the Nespresso device at making coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by 785B4E4E5B340 link=1248435005/28#28 date=1248686372
    I will be so bold as to put up my old Saeco Gran Crema to beat the Nespresso device at making coffee.
    Ill raise your old Saeco Gran Crema and put up my Mothers 70 year old aluminium moka pot.

Quote Originally Posted by 47414446515951340 link=1248435005/26#26 date=1248671848
    You liked the flavour.
    Stop in at the shop - we have Vanilla, Caramel and Hazelnut Syrups. We also have coffee that tastes like coffee. ;)

Hang on, hang on. If supreme and Adamoh like the taste from a Nespresso, then they are entitled to buy one----BUT our opinion was asked for, and given.

Id also appreciate it if they didnt try and convince us with "facts" that we all know are untrue, i.e. pre-ground coffee is fresh coffee, and doesnt go stale for DAYS after opening.

Greg
    "If you dont want the answer, dont ask the question."

Quote Originally Posted by 4E484D4F5850583D0 link=1248435005/26#26 date=1248671848
    I have been really happy with my machine and the coffee.
    What have you compared it to?

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 6D584F4D7D4558474B464E2A0 link=1248435005/30#30 date=1248698656
    Hang on, hang on. *If supreme and Adamoh like the taste from a Nespresso, then they are entitled to buy one----BUT our opinion was asked for, and given.

Id also appreciate it if they didnt try and convince us with "facts" that we all know are untrue, i.e. pre-ground coffee is fresh coffee, and doesnt go stale for DAYS after opening.

Greg
    "If you dont want the answer, dont ask the question."
    So is this all information OR Intelligence ;)

Anger (got to get some humour in) Management 8-)

You wouldnt go onto a car enthusiasts forum and ask about buying, say, a Kia.

The response would be along the lines of:

"Its better than a Morris Marina"*, or

"Id rather walk"

I suspect a troll.

* FWIW, I owned one of these once :-[. I think a tank would have had better handling

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 0D2E3B3B2E410 link=1248435005/28#28 date=1248686372
    Ill raise you to Lavazza and a Presso ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 30363331262E26430 link=1248435005/10#10 date=1248662801

You buy the coffee direct which cuts out the middle person (Coles). I love dealing direct with the girls at Nespresso or I order it online.

My machine came with aerochino attached with is completely automated and makes HOT milk so easily. The aluminium capsules are completely recycable - I am a greeny at heart.

Easy to use and no mess goes without saying.

Adamoh, I had to give my input. Strongly disagree with the negative comments. Maybe have a look on the Nespresso website - heaps of info about where they source their coffee.

Good Luck! :)
    If youre using Coles as an example of a coffee seller, then you should think about buying freshly roasted coffee. *The coffee youd buy in Coles would be about as fresh as the Nespresso coffee...stale.
    I have about 7 roasters all within 30 mins of my house or work place, which means I can get my coffee very quickly. I dont have to bother with online ordering if I dont want to and Im not restricted to just 12 varieties or whatever it is they offer.

My microwave can make HOT milk, but like the Aeorochino, it wont make microfoam.

Nespresso do not have a capsule recyling facility in Oz and the capsules are dirty, so they wont be recycled by most facilities here in Oz. *As mentioned previously...better to not have it packaged in aluminium in the first place.

They are easy to use and no mess....that is their only plus points....that and they taste better than instant. * Theyre not quite on the same level as a good espresso though.

Nespresso capsules are also expensive...I pay about $26 - $32 for a kilo of freshly roasted beans. *Assuming 10% wastage, thats still a hell of a lot cheaper than the $70+ a kilo for Nespresso.

I think they have their place and I would recommend them to some people, but I owuldnt sing their praises on a coffee snobs website. *:)

I think Supremes comments should be taken as sarcasm. Each time I read it, it seems more sarcastic than the last.

i cant beleave we would even discuss nespressthingies so much.

those if you who like it (if any on this site) enjoy it and that leaves more fresh taisty coffee for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2B29252D2D2324394A0 link=1248435005/36#36 date=1248749269
    I think Supremes comments should be taken as sarcasm. Each time I read it, it seems more sarcastic than the last.
    Yes, I think its time to revisit the instructional video
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum

DONT FEED THE TROLLS!

A lot of companies these days employ people to frequent forums to defend them.

While looking for work over the last 6 months I ran across ads for such positions.

Snort!

You and your friends really need to get out more or frequent McDonalds drive through less often! *;D
    Last Wednesday I played at an open mic jam (I have been playing blues harmonica seriously for about two years now). After my set I was out in the parking lot and a fellow came up to me, very excitedly, and said, "MAN! That was the best harmonica playing I have ever heard!" I did not say it, but my first thought was, You gotta go and hear more harmonica players.

Its the same with coffee... But please, do not listen to the coffee. it will burn your eardrum!

Hello all,

since I am chiming in late, I will assume that all writers are sincere, and that the original question was genuine.

I think that Nespresso machines have their place. *I have stayed in a few hotels/motels, and was pleasantly surprised to find a Nespresso machine instead of International Roast/Blend 43 sachets and an electric jug. *I think I have just summarised the place for Nespresso machines, and the circumstances in which I would be happy to have one.

Really, truly, honestly there is no way I could argue a comparison between Nespresso and a half decent home set-up. *I would direct the money to a grinder *and a stovetop choofer or a "french press", if I was on a limited budget. *This would give more satisfying coffee, and be more economical.

In the end, you may be influenced by your friends, and go for the Nespresso. * Okay. *When you realise youre drinking motel coffee, and are ready to move up, youll be welcome to ask questions here. *

It would be remiss of me not to point out that when you do finally get sorted out with a good set-up, youll have spent the amount that the good gear cost you, plus the ~$350 for the Nesthingy. *Doesnt look that cheap to me. *And even with sponsors deals, or other discounts, you will really struggle to find $350 savings. Sometimes the best economy is to spend a little more in the first instance.

Good luck.

shaun