Thread: Breville BES400

Breville BES400

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hello all,

I bought a Breville Ikon BES400 machine today and cant wait to give it a go (once I have bought a unpressurised basket).

A few questions (and yes, I have done a few searches!).

- "Best" replacement basket, unpressurised. I am leaning towards the Krups double.
    - "Good" grinder. I am aware how important a grinder BUT I am not spending more than $200 atm. Sunbeam 0480?
    - To remove/or not remove the froth "enhancer"?
    - Tamper; I would like a Pullman...
    - Is the accompanying jug/pitcher OK?

I am coming from a old Delonghi with a very simple grinder, which cant froth milk at all well. Any other tips would be awesome. Cheers.

Re: Breville BES400

The best unpressurised basket is the Breville one--with the bottom cut off. There are threads here that give more details.

The Sunbeam 0480 should do well, as should the 0450. I use a Kyocera hand mill with good results in a work Ikon.

Just pull the enhancer off (its a slip fit) and put it in a drawer somewhere. (Dont worry about which drawer--odds are itll never come out. ;D)

Greg

I love the jug that comes with the Ikon...Its the one I reach for first...

Ssshhh, dont tell the other CSs here but I usually keep the froth enhancer on because it increases the length of the steam wand and we all love froth in my house.

We have the sunbeam EMO 480...it was $185 at Retravision.

We have drilled several large holes in the bottom of one of our baskets and also have plans to hike on out to the breville spare parts shop and get another non-pressurised filter (apparently about $15 in Perth) there is a thread that details exactly which basket/cup to get.

Tamper....I have one from Bombora coffee parts as they supply parts a local shop in my area and it fits my Ikon...its a generic branded stainless steel 51mm (my original Ikon basket is a smidge bigger than 51mm)...a 52mm almost fits and probably would have been a better choice if I could have waited for someone to shave 1/2 a mm off it.

All you need now is to take delivery of some fabulous fresh beans and you are ready to brew.

Enjoy your new machine...I find the Ikon is a great learners machine, even my 14yr old son can make coffee with it!.

With regards to frothing milk:

1) I dont use the froth enhancer - works well and easier to clean without it.

2) I use a 12 oz Rattleware pitcher - the milk swirls around and textures much better in the narrower pitcher than the one supplied with the Ikon. Also has a narrower spout for pouring than the ikon. You can definitely achieve good microfoam with the narrower pitcher. With the wider pitcher I had trouble incorporating the foam into the milk at times.

Tamper:
    1) Im using a cheap Terrys Tamper, which fits okay. But a pullman would be sweet!! I had a laugh!

Filter basket:
    1) The krups has a funny funnel shape , and the holes are somewhat larger. But most people seem to be happy with it.

2) Cutting out the bottom of the Breville dual wall filter with a dremel - Im going to try that this week - I hear it works better.

Thanks everyone.

In regards to the baskets, a guy at work has a Dremel I might be able to borrow.

Is there any particular grind setting (using the 0480) people on here swear by with the BES400?

I am undecided on the jug...

The jug at work has disappeared--I just use a big mug.

Greg

I have a BES820 which uses the same GH as the 800
    I replaced the double basket with the Bar Italia ESP 4/51 1-2 cup non- pressurised basket. It fits into the spring well so it doesnt fall out when knocking out the puck.

I used a dremel to take off the bottom of the supplied baskets as well.
    You have to cut around the base leaving a couple of mm of base there to stop the inside basket from popping through under the pressure of the water. It is only a press fit into the outer piece.
    There is only a mm or 2 between the bottom and the perforated basket so be very careful when cutting.

After I did mine I saw a method on a thread here whereby you pressed up from the bottom of the basket pushing the press fitted perforated piece out before cutting the bottom out and then pressing the piece back in. This method would be far easier and safer IMO.

As for the grinder setting, too many variables make each one slightly or significantly different. Just start in the middle and try a shot, it doesnt take that long to dial it in. (unless it wont go fine enough and then you nedd to get some spacers to put under the centre burr to close up the gap). If the shot is pulling too fast dial left, if too slow dial right. Trial and error!!!

Have fun :)

Quote Originally Posted by 647F7660636E170 link=1251016709/6#6 date=1251754477
    I have a BES820 which uses the same GH as the 800
    I replaced the double basket with the Bar Italia ESP 4/51 1-2 cup non- pressurised basket. It fits into the spring well so it doesnt fall out when knocking out the puck.

I used a dremel to take off the bottom of the supplied baskets as well.
    You have to cut around the base leaving a couple of mm of base there to stop the inside basket from popping through under the pressure of the water. It is only a press fit into the outer piece.
    There is only a mm or 2 between the bottom and the perforated basket so be very careful when cutting.

After I did mine I saw a method on a thread here whereby you pressed up from the bottom of the basket pushing the press fitted perforated piece out before cutting the bottom out and then pressing the piece back in. This method would be far easier and safer IMO.

As for the grinder setting, too many variables make each one slightly or significantly different. Just start in the middle and try a shot, it doesnt take that long to dial it in. (unless it wont go fine enough and then you nedd to get some spacers to put under the centre burr to close up the gap). If the shot is pulling too fast dial left, if too slow dial right. Trial and error!!!

Have fun :)
    Yeah i got this basket as well with the 0450 grinder which has the same internal parts as the 0480 and have issues getting the creme and a good extraction. It looked a lot better when i had the pressurised one and i know that was fake creme but am i doing something wrong here?

Ive played around with the grind settings, im using campos beans (so great quality) and tamping with a differnet amount of force each time to see if that makes a diff but yeah the coffee comes out looking very light instead of the dark with thick crema.

Any suggestions would be appreciated !

o and i also have teh BES400

Quote Originally Posted by 595B405F485D4C5948474E290 link=1251016709/7#7 date=1251943064
    Any suggestions would be appreciated ! *
    I would suggest starting with checking yor dosing level.
    Dose and tamp using about 10-15kg then place a 5c piece on top of your puck. Lock the GH in and then take back out. You should be able to see a slight indentation where the coin has pressed into the puck. This isnt a great method on my machine as my BES820 has a concave shower screen but it should give you some idea. A really soggy puck usually meant that I underdosed mine, although I never got as dry a pucks as I do on my Sunbeam 6910 (1 of the reasons I upgraded)

Then time your shots and go for about 60ml in 25secs (using the double basket) from the time you hit the pump button.
    If too fast then grind finer or too slow grind coarser.

Your dosing, distributing and tamping technique will all contribute to more consistancy throughout the shot.
    Just remember you are trying to create a puck that is consistant in density and height so that water flows evenly through without finding chanels to get through more easily.

I dont know your beans, but I home roast and find a noticeable reduction in crema during a couple of weeks of drinking.
    So freshness of the beans if paramount IMO.
    Make sure the beans have a roasted date on them and hopefully not more than 2 weeks old.

Best of luck!!! :)

I managed to carefully cut the bottom out with a dremel. *Never used a dremel in my life, but it is simple enough to do if done slowly. *The basket is better than the Krups as it fits more coffee, and has a flat bottom to tamp.

I think the small jug does make a difference, the bigger breville jug works as well but requires better positioning to get the whirlpool going.

With the smaller jug, I have been able to improve my milk texturing significantly with practice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49228409@N00/3888882664/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/49228409@N00/3858265408/

Have fun with your new Ikon BES400!! *

Nice work there spoke!..
    So are you using a smaller jug than the supplied Breville one?...I find the supplied one is pretty good size for a 300ml Latte which fits my current fave coffee mug. I have never actually measured the capacity of the breville jug...

A 300 ml latté?????

Wassamata?? -- dont you like coffee?? ;D

Greg
    my lattés top out at 100 ml--from a double ristretto

Quote Originally Posted by 47726567576F726D616C64000 link=1251016709/12#12 date=1252128740
    Well.... Thats not really a Latte mate ;)

Mal.

If you are a Latte fan then of course its the perfect size...it goes perfectly with a double shot... ;)
    A 100ml latte, thats hardly worth the effort of sdteaming the milk ;)...that would be a strong and very dark Latte...I wonder what it should be called?...

More or less a Piccolo Latte (approx 90ml)

Look no further than under my Avatar..... ::)

Doppio Piccolo ;)

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by 002D292528440 link=1251016709/13#13 date=1252155826
    Quote Originally Posted by 47726567576F726D616C64000 link=1251016709/12#12 date=1252128740
    Well.... Thats not really a Latte mate ;)

Mal.
    In my world (or at least in my house) thats a "coffee"--as in "I think Ill make a coffee." ::)

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 6D584F4D7D4558474B464E2A0 link=1251016709/17#17 date=1252196573
    In my world (or at least in my house) thats a "coffee"--as in "I think Ill make a coffee." ::)

Greg
    Yep,

Me too..... ;D

Mal.

100ml lattes...oh dear, I dont even have coffee cups that small, it just wouldnt work at my house...it would save heaps on milk though.

I have amazed myself...my new toys (unpressurised basket and naked handle) ...its a thrill to see the coffee pour out the bottom of the handle and make real crema...and amazingly the coffee tastes even better than it did with the old standard basket...dunno why or how but I aint arguing...now if only I can supersize the steam production on the Ikon I will be able to die happy!

Hi purple - where did you get the naked portafilter ?

I found it for sale on here in the for-sale section...I also got a krups non pressurised basket (they fit into the breville handle) and the business/bottom half of a pullman tamper to fit the basket...its brilliant...now hubby has a job this weekend to make me a tamper handle...

Another option is to get a grouphandle from the spare parts shop and machine off the bottom off it.

Bags...if you go for the pullman you wont be disappointed...I have just scored the bottom of one and its a really nice piece of art, workmanship and stainless steel...

haha cheers mate.

I now have a Sunbeam 0480. Am I crazy or is there a thread with details/instructions on exactly what to do with cutting the bottom of the Breville baskets; a mate at work has lent me his dremel. Or should I just go a Krups OR Bar Italia ESP 4/51 1-2 cup non- pressurised basket (cant hurt as a spare)?

Now, a little bit of OT to get that Pullman...

Quote Originally Posted by 60636571020 link=1251016709/23#23 date=1252930952
    haha cheers mate.

I now have a Sunbeam 0480. Am I crazy or is there a thread with details/instructions on exactly what to do with cutting the bottom of the Breville baskets; a mate at work has lent me his dremel. Or should I just go a Krups OR Bar Italia ESP 4/51 1-2 cup non- pressurised basket (cant hurt as a spare)?

Now, a little bit of OT to get that Pullman...
    Hi Bags,

I just used one of the fibre cut-off wheels to carefully cut a large circle in the bottom of the basket, leaving about 3-5 mm around the edge to provide a support for the inside floor (which is pressed in).

I held the dremel steady on the table and rotated the basket under the cutting wheel. I reckon it took less than 10 minutes, including set-up time.

There is only a mm or 2 between the bottom of the basket and the internal floor, so be gentle and careful--and remember the metal of the bottom of the basket is only about a mm thick so it doesnt take much cutting.

IMO the Breville basket had smaller holes than the replacements and let fewer grounds into the cup.

Greg