Thread: Help - Pulling a proper shot with a Krups Basket on an Ikon

Help - Pulling a proper shot with a Krups Basket on an Ikon

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    I finally received my Krups basket, but my excitement was quickly subdued when I tried to make my first shot.

I ground the coffee at the finest with my Breville BCG450XL and then tamped it down with my aluminum tamper to about 30-35lbs force as even as i could, but the shot came out much faster than I would have liked. Between in about 15 seconds.

How are others doing it with the Krups basket?

1) Grind finer? - but the krups basket has quite large holes, and the my grinder without further modifications is already at its max.

2) Tamp harder - is that what others are doing for this setup??

3) Get a basket with smaller holes?

Thanks
    Victor.

Re: Help - Pulling a proper shot with a Krups Basket on an Ikon

Gday Victor.... :)

How about Dosing mate? Are you dosing the basket so that after tamping, it just kisses the shower-screen? If so, maybe the grinder just cant grind finely enough :-?

Mal.

Hi Mal,

Thanks for the response. Im getting about 20 seconds when I tried doing that and tamping down as much as I could. Will keep trying...

The shower screen in the Ikon is opposite to normal/other machines and I cant figure out if its convex or concave but to get the dose to kiss the screen you would have to pile it high up over the rim of the basket in a small mountain....wierd I know...this has given me some trouble to figure out as well so I just dose the basket full up and hope for the best...but... I dont drink espresso and for me its seemingly easier to get an acceptable shot to drown in milk for a latte *[smiley=lolk.gif]

Hi Purple,

Quote Originally Posted by 424740425E57320 link=1251130985/3#3 date=1251199765
    I dont drink espresso and for me its seemingly easier to get an acceptable shot to drown in milk for a latte *[smiley=lolk.gif]
    Im GreenBean just like you, but a latte would taste a lot better if you can make a proper espresso first... ::)

In case it is the grinder Victor,

Im sure Ive read where someone has successfully modified the Breville Grinder and now achieves excellent shots of espresso. Have a look further down in the Grinder section and Im sure will find it....

All the best mate :)
    Mal.

I have seen the mod for the breville grinder recently too...but is it even possible to pile up the coffee so it "kisses" the shower screen in an Ikon or is this a step we have to forget about and just get the grind and tamp right?...
    I have a naked handle and unpressurised basket organised so that will surely help me in my quest for coffee nirvana.

I had a laugh...spoke...some of my Lattes are much nicer than others...unfortunately I do not take notes so dont know what I do differently the times I get a good latte :( ;D even with the same beans etc I can make terrible to perfectly acceptable coffees...quite annoying really.

Im not really sure about the modification with the grinder. Basically the burrs will be touching after the modification, and I assume that may be a problem in the long run. May be someone who has done it could comment on this.

As for the coffee kissing the screen, that happens when you overfill the basket, and then tamp down, so that the coffee is about 3mm or so below the lip of the basket. When the coffee expands it will form an imprint of the screen on the grinds. However, because there isnt a 3-way valve, the grinds are usually soggy if you remove the portafilter right away. I usually wait till after I have steamed the milk to remove the PF and by then, I can see a well formed imprint of the screen on the top of the grinds.

I must say I managed to get about 22-23 seconds out of it today, but Im not entirely happy with my shot though. Then again, I was using decaf beans that I had just roasted, Im not sure if that made a difference with the appearance of the shot. The crema was quite light.

There has been an improvement in the shots. I am using the Breville double basket with the bottom cut-out and am getting about 25 second (from when the pump gets activated after pre-infusion) shots for 1.5 oz to 2 oz.

When the shot first starts to pour, the colour is a nice dark brown with lots of dark crema, but the crema lightens half-way through the pour. Im still getting, what I think, is decent crema but at least half the crema dissipates within the first minute.

Its possible Im getting channelling in my puck but I am tamping as evenly as I can and am using the finest setting on my grinder, which looks as fine or finer than what a respectable cafe near me is using.

Is it possible, the temperature is not warm enough? But Im priming the group head before I lock on the portafilter. I also tried temperature surfing, although, thats highly inaccurate, and it didnt make any difference.

What other suggestions would others have, without changing the equipment that I have? Would grinding coarser actually help in this situation.

Thanks!

Timing starts when you push the button, and includes the automatic pre-infusion, so your 25 seconds is more like 30 or 35.

Lots of us here routinely cut our shots short (a ristretto) to avoid any of the lighter coloured coffee that comes out later in the pour. "Blonding" is to a great extent subjective, so cut your pour when youve got the shot taste you want. More extraction does not necessarily mean better taste, or even a longer coffee with the same taste as shorter.

My personal preference is 20 gm of extraction (volume depends on crema quantity) from 19 gm of grounds in 20 seconds or so.

Greg

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 417463615169746B676A62060 link=1251130985/9#9 date=1251794154
    Timing starts when you push the button, and includes the automatic pre-infusion, so your 25 seconds is more like 30 or 35.

Lots of us here routinely cut our shots short (a ristretto) to avoid any of the lighter coloured coffee that comes out later in the pour. "Blonding" is to a great extent subjective, so cut your pour when youve got the shot taste you want. More extraction does not necessarily mean better taste, or even a longer coffee with the same taste as shorter.

My personal preference is 20 gm of extraction (volume depends on crema quantity) from 19 gm of grounds in 20 seconds or so.

Greg
    Yep... I agree... A good drink and a little lighter on the caffeine... Means I can have a few more in teh day..

A simple case of where Less is More ;)

Quote Originally Posted by 16233436063E233C303D35510 link=1251130985/9#9 date=1251794154
    Quote Originally Posted by 103F3634231C303F3036343C343F25510 link=1251130985/10#10 date=1251796495
    A simple case of where Less is MoreWink
    Wow!! Thanks guys...this does change everything. How exciting...

Re: Help - Pulling a proper shot with on an Ikon

I overdosed the basket slightly, tamped hard, and increased the temperature by letting the steam button flash for 5 seconds.

Ive been able to get a nice layer of thick brown crema in my shot glass today, but more than half of it dissipated quickly before I managed to snap a photos of it.

Should I be expecting the crema to remain?

How did you get the double spout thingy to pour into a single shot glass neatly?

Quote Originally Posted by 2427383C32570 link=1251130985/12#12 date=1252121136
    Should I be expecting the crema to remain?
    The fresher the beans, the more crema is produced, and as the CO2 dissipates the crema subsides more quickly.

Ive never noticed how long crema lasts cause Im either adding milk within less than a minute, or the ristretto is already inside me.

Remember--its how it tastes that counts.

Greg

Good Point Greg...Im referring to this page about how different variables affect taste:

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide-diagnose-extraction-problems.html

Purple, I hold the glass up to the spouts so they dont splatter everywhere.

Mine doesnt splatter everywhere and I just aim well.