Thread: Sunbeam Cafe Crema EM4800 - water leakage/advice on alternatives?

Sunbeam Cafe Crema EM4800 - water leakage/advice on alternatives?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi All,

My girlfriend is having problems with a brand new Cafe Crema EM4800. Basically it seems to be leaking water somewhere at the back/underneath it.

Ive seen the machine itself when unpacked, and noted that there is potential for leakage if the water container isnt firmly locked down into position.

GF says it isnt leaking from there - and I cant check for myself right now exactly where it is leaking from since she lives an hour away from me.

Anyway, thing is, she took the machine back and got a replacement - which is doing the exact same thing, apparently... That would normally indicate user error to me (or just unlucky), but I know GF is fairly cluey with such things, ie. not likely to be doing something silly :)

So, if anyone is familiar with this problem Id appreciate some feedback -

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a better brand/model machine around the $200-$300 mark? I know - cant expect much in that price range, but GF isnt exactly flush with funds, so itll have to be a cheapy.

Thanks for any advice, cheers.

TC

Re: Sunbeam Cafe Crema EM4800 - water leakage/advice on alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by 193620303C530 link=1260565911/0#0 date=1260565911
    Hi All,

My girlfriend is having problems with a brand new Cafe Crema EM4800. *Basically it seems to be leaking water somewhere at the back/underneath it.

Ive seen the machine itself when unpacked, and noted that there is potential for leakage if the water container isnt firmly locked down into position.

GF says it isnt leaking from there - and I cant check for myself right now exactly where it is leaking from since she lives an hour away from me.

Anyway, thing is, she took the machine back and got a replacement - which is doing the exact same thing, apparently... That would normally indicate user error to me (or just unlucky), but I know GF is fairly cluey with such things, ie. not likely to be doing something silly :)

So, if anyone is familiar with this problem Id appreciate some feedback -

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a better brand/model machine around the $200-$300 mark? I know - cant expect much in that price range, but GF isnt exactly flush with funds, so itll have to be a cheapy.

Thanks for any advice, cheers.
    Sorry to hear that Jesco,

See if you can find her a Breville Ikon... Much better machine.. Theres a pre-loved one here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1260078111 or you could look to their factory outlets...I think they may have been discontinued :-/

Sadly, if seems that Sunbeam would have been much better to stick to toasters ::)

Good luck ;)

2mcm

Hi 2mcm,

See if you can find her a Breville Ikon... Much better machine.. Theres a pre-loved one here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1260078111 or you could look to their factory outlets...I think they may have been discontinued *:-/ *
    I wasnt aware that one could get a machine with boiler in that price range - typical that its been discontinued! I cant see anything on Brevilles site to indicate that any current model has a boiler - they mention pumps on all models...

Ill let my GF know about the used one for sale, she might be interested.

Sadly, if seems that Sunbeam would have been much better to stick to toasters ::)
    Indeed... although my cafe series blender has been pretty good.
    Thanks for the help :)

I should also add - the warm up light didnt work on the first machine, nor did the instructional DVD, I had a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by 5E7167777B140 link=1260565911/3#3 date=1260572367
    I should also add - the warm up light didnt work on the first machine, nor did the instructional DVD, I had a laugh.
    Uh-oh. That says lots about the level of quality control (or lack thereof). I assume the retailer cant help--can Sunbeam?

A good used Ikon should provide good service, and with a simple mod to the basket, is capable of fine coffee. If she goes that way have her give me a hoy--I have a brand new double basket that Im prepared to mod for her (or anybody else) and swap even for an unmodified one.

Does she have a decent grinder? If not, a Christmas present is called for. ;D

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 14213634043C213E323F37530 link=1260565911/4#4 date=1260595681
    Quote Originally Posted by 5E7167777B140 link=1260565911/3#3 date=1260572367
    Uh-oh. That says lots about the level of quality control (or lack thereof). I assume the retailer cant help--can Sunbeam?
    Hi Greg,

She took it back to today to the retailer, who gave a full refund - so no worries there.

A good used Ikon should provide good service, and with a simple mod to the basket, is capable of fine coffee. If she goes that way have her give me a hoy--I have a brand new double basket that Im prepared to mod for her (or anybody else) and swap even for an unmodified one.
    Well... we scored today - found a new Ikon BES400 in the local Retravision for $279 :)

Does she have a decent grinder? If not, a Christmas present is called for. ;D
    Not a conical burr type grinder unfortunately, but a newish Breville bladed grinder. I chipped in for the new Ikon, so a better grinder will have to wait for now;)

Ill have to check out what the basket issue is Greg, and will get back to you. Thanks for the offer. I just made a coffee on the new Ikon and it didnt seem to bad, IMO much better result than the Sunbeam.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

BTW, GF says thanks for the help as well.