Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TC

Thread: First espresso machine Breville Cafe Venezia?

First espresso machine Breville Cafe Venezia?

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi coffee fans
    After a while of considerable discontent with drip brew and coffee made in my cheap moka pot *I am looking into upgrading my coffee experience. I dont have a lot to spend on a machine at the moment, but the Breville Cafe Venezia (RRP $269.95) is about how much I have to spend on a machine. I also intend to buy a grinder and start buying roasted beans via beanbay or a respectable roaster in Sydney.
    Reviews for this product on other sites tend to be positive, but I assume the people here at coffee snobs might be a bit more enlightened.
    My main concern is I wonder if this machine worth buying or am I better off pinching my pennies for a little longer and maybe getting something a bit more upmarket?

Re: First espresso machine Breville Cafe Venezia?

Gday cp,

I havent used this breville but would recommend spending a few hundred on a grinder (iberital challenge, rocky, isomac all have grinders in this range but drop in and see a site sponser) If this means you have to wait a while for an espresso machine...so be it. With fresh beans and a decent grinder your drip and mocha pot will improve out of sight. It also doesnt pay to have a decent espresso machine and without a decent grinder. Youll hear the same from others at cs.

All the best and enjoy every step up,

sd

Hi SD
    Thanks for the advice. A grinder sounds like the way to go (maybe with a plunger). I was thinking of getting something like a Sunbeam AutoGrinder or a Breville Barvista Grinder from Target or Big W. Although after looking at the more upmarket grinders you listed, Id probably want one after getting a espresso machine, leaving my original grinder useless :P

It probably makes more sense to get the better grinder first ;)

Hello, I dont post here often but I am a regular at CG. You need to upgrade the grinder first. I know it sounds backwards, after all, the grinder only "grinds up *the coffee" the espresso machine makes the espresso.
    Well, yes and no. The grinder is the machine that grinds the coffee indeed but, better grinders do a better job of this. The more even the particles of coffee are the more even the extraction of the goodness is from them. It is impossible to get good coffee from grinds that range from dust to boulders. The dust will be over extracted and bitter in an instant and the boulders will never give up their goodness in the time given them to brew.

I dont know what grinders are available to you down under but here in the states, used commercial grinders are highly valued for espresso. Good grinders for espresso, used, in the states start at around $300 US. I dont know if the Baratza Vario is available to you mod edit link removed in line with site sales and posting policy but it is highly recommended as a multi purpose grinder. It grinds espresso on or nearly on a par with dedicated espresso grinders and switches easily to do other brewing methods. If it will fit your budget, I also recommend one for you if it is available.

I advise this grinder *and a press pot or vac pot or moka pot to keep the budget under $500 (as is the title of this forum) The grinder really is that important. Just my two cents worth, other opinions will vary.

Hi Cal.
    Thanks for your input. I had a little bit of a google and all the places selling the Baratza Vario are in the US, but I wont give up just yet. I will probably spash out in a couple of weeks time after Ive done enough research to make an educated purchase.

If you are going to consider 2nd hand commercial grinders, sponsor OMaras generally always has some in stock.
    You have to know what youre looking for though.

Thanks Thundergod, Ill check them out.

TC

Have a look at this one Cranky... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1261537450/0#0

Much better choice I think....

2mcm
    Coffea_infinity likes this.

I agree--the Ikon is known quantity, and at the price is a very viable machine. Add as an absolute minimum grinder the Sunbeam 0450 and you will have good coffee soon.

Greg