Thread: Gaggia Baby Dose

Gaggia Baby Dose

Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Hi Guys, Ive had a sunbeam 6910 for about 16 months and its time for a new machine cause this one has died and i dont want to get it fixed.
    Im looking at a Gaggia Baby Dose and maybe the twin.....Im just wondering why there is not much talk about them on this site. Are they that bad or have people just not bought them????
    Some input would be fantastic.

cheers :-/

Re: Gaggia Baby Dose

I must have said something wrong [smiley=huh.gif] :(

I suggest nothing has been posted as few, if any, CSers own the newer Gaggia Baby models. You not more likely to get an answer if you adopt a "why arent you answering my question" attitude.

I owned a Gaggia Baby Class a couple of years ago (when I first joined CS, actually) and upgraded a few months later. It made OK coffee but milk steaming was much less than ideal. Like the SB6910, the Twin is a twin thermoblock unit.

You might find the Gaggia Baby is a step down from the Sunbeam. Youre probably better off getting another SB 6910.

If I was you, I would extend your budget and set my sites a little higher. If your replacing your coffee machine every 2 years, then get something that will last longer than that. Check out some of the second hand HX machines that are for Sale on CS.

Caffeine Junky

Do you know whats wrong with youur 6910?

Ive been reading/contributing to this site almost daily for a year now and dont think Ive ready anything on the Gaggia Baby models.

I agree with Flynn, you will probably find it a step down from the 6910, especially with regards to milk texturing.

How many and what types of coffees would you make in an average week? Have you set yourself a budget?

Thanks for the response guys....the baby gaggia series has a boiler like the rancilio not a thermo block.

My 6910 is not relieving back pressure.....there for, after pulling a shot, no discharge comes out and when i tried to back flush it, it just chocked up and nothing happened.
    I really dont want to spend money on it but if i could fix it myself, i would. Thing is, all service people i call say the same thing...."Could be anything" so im not sure what to do.

Im liking the v3 rancilio but not sold on it yet, i would like volumetric buttons.

Saying all that, i really cant afford to spend $800 on a new machine and i was only looking at hte gaggia cause it has 58mm baskets where as all the other machines like sunbeam and breville have those tiny portafilters unless you go for the 6910....I dont think ill buy another 6910 even though i enjoyed using it.

so, thats my dilema... :(

if any tech guys on here have an idea what could be wrong with my 6910, i would luv to fix it myself on the cheap....

cheers ;)

Try this thread for help on your EM6910. Sounds like the 3 way valve is stuck/gummed up. AM might be able to offer more advice, but I suggest you read this thread and search the forums more before posting.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1249003655

-ACog

Quote Originally Posted by 2B243D2A2A217C480 link=1269302076/4#4 date=1269802220
    .the baby gaggia series has a boiler like the rancilio not a thermo block.
    Sorry, yes, youre right - the Gaggia series does have a boiler. Theyre still not an improvement on the Sunbeam though.

Thanks for you help guys, it was a gummed up 3 way. Fixed that problem, but now i found that the colar is pretty badly worn and after putting 3 spacers in, it just holds off leaking. In doing that(putting 3 spacers in) it has made the blue group seal concave in a bit. Hard to explain...... not sure if i wanna change the colar though, looks very involved and a lot of brass pipes and fittings have to come off for that colar to come out. When i asked for a price on a new colar, they wanted $70. >:( Mind you i had the colar changed under warranty about 6 months after buying the machine.
    I guess you get what you pay for as we all know on here......just cant aford much at the moment and im very happy that the valve has unblocked itself with perserverance and plenty of Cafetto ;) :) ;D

Once again, thanks guys your help is priceless

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 525D4453535805310 link=1269302076/7#7 date=1269854754
    Thanks for you help guys, it was a gummed up 3 way. Fixed that problem, but now i found that the colar is pretty badly worn and after putting 3 spacers in, it just holds off leaking. In doing that(putting 3 spacers in) it has made the blue group seal concave in a bit. Hard to explain...... not sure if i wanna change the colar though, looks very involved and a lot of brass pipes and fittings have to come off for that colar to come out. When i asked for a price on a new colar, they wanted $70. >:( Mind you i had the colar changed under warranty about 6 months after buying the machine.
    I guess you get what you pay for as we all know on here......just cant aford much at the moment and im very happy that the valve has unblocked itself with perserverance and plenty of Cafetto ;) :) ;D

Once again, thanks guys your help is priceless
    Sorry... While ya get way ya pay for nothing is immune to miss use and or lack of correct cleaning.

If you OVERdose instead of UP dose you will stuff ya collar.

IF you do not use the right chemical cleaner and use the correct rubber blind.. You will get crap in teh threeway and Stuff ya gauge / hot water etc etc.

Oh yea; in addition you will also blow the seam pump if ya decide to use a true blind filter...

Just like a Silvia.. If you do not prime or leave switched on you will blow something, usually the element and thats a little more than $56 for a collar....

A bad trades man blames the equipment.. and a real shoddy one makes further Assumptions and then still blames some one else.

NOTE: Have just rebuilt 2 ... Fishing Lizard would be pleased to know that over the last 12 to 18 months... His unit has been ratted to get a number of Em6910 users up and going... Thanks FL.

It is NOW a working machine... But I do not have a group Handel ;D :D :o :( :( :( :(

The other one is now a Knicker less Em69XX and I have found out a few things.

1: Simple mod to protect ya steam pump
    2: Better steam pressure
    3: A side effect is better cleanness of steam wand as it performs a little weep and dribble post steaming. Helps to get that milk that many users forget about.
    4: Almost NO more collar issues :-)

This has been a while coming... But almost there..

PS: Teh latest model is the EM69AMB (EM69xx is teh series... AM is teh build and B is caus I thinking BLACK)

PPS. The issue is that I am also having to re spray; after some one cleaned with a scotch brite and or SS scourer - as well as performed NO maintenance but did add something strange to teh water tank... They could not get a warranty replacement for teh poor paint work :o :o and tossed a tanty; sent of letters of complain and then dumped it.

I was scrounging and buying new seals for FLs old unit and made an offer for the dirty pile of crap on teh floor with "BIN"on it.

Will post pics of a stripped EM69xx like ya never seen before ;D Pure coffee p0rn :-*